PDA

View Full Version : Why are we fighting a government shutdown?

Elwar
04-06-2011, 09:15 PM
They're talking about only having "essential services" working. Sounds good to me.

Shut it down and maybe the budget will be balanced.

mport1
04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
If only it were a real and permanent shutdown...

heavenlyboy34
04-06-2011, 09:35 PM
maybe some people are, but I'm certainly not. The sooner it shuts down, the better. :cool:

Carehn
04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Guess a shut down, if it was real anyway would show us what part of the economy has grown up around a false government manipulated demand. It would be sad to learn that most of us live off of the dole indirectly. Not that we should keep this game going any longer but the problem is so bad now that most of the economy is actually not what a free market would call for and doomed to restructure in the not to distant future.

This is good, but it will suck. The restructuring will be good. But its going to suck really hard.

Dr.3D
04-06-2011, 09:47 PM
If they would actually shut down 90% of the Federal Government, we would probably have what the Constitution calls for. A limited government that does only what it is authorized to do by the U.S. Constitution. I don't see that as a bad thing.

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Who HERE is fighting it?

juleswin
04-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Is a shutdown also going to accompany no federal income taxes? if so the the answer is yes yes yes

Fredom101
04-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Shut it the fuck down, see if anyone notices.

mport1
04-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Apparently people in the military will stop being paid. Hopefully this "shutdown" will go on for awhile and a large number of them decide to come back. That would be incredible.

Carehn
04-06-2011, 10:02 PM

Don't get me wrong. I don't think we even need a fed, but the problem is its so damn big now that people will notices. I large number of them. Its going to suck one way or the other. So at this point i want them to rip the band aid of fast and now. Shut it the fuck down so we can all get on with our lifes.

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Apparently people in the military will stop being paid. Hopefully this "shutdown" will go on for awhile and a large number of them decide to come back. That would be incredible.

That's incredibly rotten, though because they have to keep working. Talk about slavery. Previously, military were still paid.

Pericles
04-06-2011, 10:04 PM
If they would actually shut down 90% of the Federal Government, we would probably have what the Constitution calls for. A limited government that does only what it is authorized to do by the U.S. Constitution. I don't see that as a bad thing.
Bring it on.

anaconda
04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I certainly am not fighting it.

Mach
04-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Forever is fine, but, could you imagine shutting down the Federal Government a good 3 months of every year, just make them do everything that needs to get done within those first 9 months.... it's a start.

Pericles
04-06-2011, 10:07 PM

Stop paying the troops and see how many weapons get lost.

MelissaWV
04-06-2011, 10:08 PM
I'll just leave this here...

Would I still get my tax refund from the IRS?

Yes, but it could be delayed. The IRS will close, and it has said it will likely suspend processing refunds for the roughly 30 percent of Americans who file paper, rather than electronic, returns. It also likely won't answer its hotline--which could cause some stress at the height of tax season.

But don't think this gets you off the hook: You still have to file your returns by the regular deadline, which is April 18 this year.

heavenlyboy34
04-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Also, those of us paying down student loans (and it's a whole bunch of people, as I understand) will continue mailing in our checks. These go to the Department of Education, so this "critical" part of the government more than likely won't shut down unless the congress critters somehow get the testicular fortitude to shutter it.

RideTheDirt
04-06-2011, 10:55 PM
People want it to remain running???
Whom and what are they smoking?!?!?!?

Vessol
04-06-2011, 11:05 PM
I'll just leave this here...

Good thing I already did my taxes this year :D

Bring it on I say. They are using scare tactics up the wazoo where I live, marines are really pissed and scared.

Bman
04-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Vegas should start odds on how long it will take if the Federal Government shuts down to total Armageddon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M149WTrkNR8

DamianTV
04-07-2011, 03:13 AM
If people really wanted the government to not shut down, maybe they would be willing to voluntarily pay more in taxes? Anyone? Anyone at all? Bueller? Bueller? Yeah, I didnt really expect to see one single person jump on that bandwagon.

Koz
04-07-2011, 06:13 AM
My fear is that if they shut it down at some point they will restart it. Can't we keep it shut down?

MelissaWV
04-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Good thing I already did my taxes this year :D

Bring it on I say. They are using scare tactics up the wazoo where I live, marines are really pissed and scared.

With good reason, imo. Military-bashing aside, they are doing a job and it's not exactly a cakewalk. The majority are doing what they've been told without incident. Now the people they're in a contract with are thinking of just shuttering things for awhile and not paying them. If we heard of a private business doing this to their employees but, say, still holding business meetings at expensive restaurants and holding a corporate office party or two, and going on television saying how sad they were over the situation, but keeping on with their own general standard of living (I don't think any of the critters are volunteering to work for free)... I don't think we'd want to shop at that place, or eat there, or whatever.

It is a scare tactic, though, and a means to get the military to beg Government to stay open and hold a grudge against people who "cause" them not to get paid, and the people to be angry at those they perceive to be delaying their refunds, etc..

tangent4ronpaul
04-07-2011, 06:41 AM
but keeping on with their own general standard of living (I don't think any of the critters are volunteering to work for free)...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/52725.html

Joe Manchin urges lawmakers to give up government shutdown pay

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) is calling on his colleagues to join him in voluntarily giving up his salary if the government shuts down.

“While millions of American families will be impacted by a government shutdown — whether they are serving our country’s military, whether someone in their family is furloughed or whether they are unable to use critical government services – elected officials are the one group who will not be impacted. Just the opposite, in fact: we still get paid. How does that make any sense?” Manchin writes in a “Dear Colleague” letter. “That is why, if the government shuts down, I will take this pledge, and I urge you all – from the President and Vice President to all Members of Congress – to take it with me: I will forego my federal salary until we reach an agreement. I will donate my salary to charity or return it to the Treasury until the government works again.”

Occam's Banana
04-07-2011, 06:41 AM
It is a scare tactic, though, and a means to get the military to beg Government to stay open and hold a grudge against people who "cause" them not to get paid, and the people to be angry at those they perceive to be delaying their refunds, etc..

^^THIS.

Lew Rockwell says it very well here:
hxxp://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/84860.html

Exactly What Is a 'Government Shutdown'?
Other than a consummation devoutly to be wished, that is. Well, since the government lies as its everyday MO, we can know, first of all, that a government shutdown is not a government shutdown. The bombing and conquering do not stop, for example. The dictator on his own say-so funds the “essential” work of government: killing, looting, spying, etc. He has the Fed at his command, too. The “non-essential” employees are sent home for an unpaid vacation, to be changed into a paid vacation when the shutdown shuts down. The few things the boobeoisie like–the propaganda museums and monuments, for example–are also shuttered. But otherwise, nothing happens. It is just more of the Republican-Democratic political theatre.

mport1
04-07-2011, 07:28 AM
That's incredibly rotten, though because they have to keep working. Talk about slavery. Previously, military were still paid.

They were already slaves before. Hopefully people will realize that this is what could happen when you make a deal with the government. I'd love to see military recruitment fall dramatically.

fisharmor
04-07-2011, 07:33 AM
I live outside of DC. It'll get noticed. For one thing, I'll be getting to work at least 10 minutes earlier.

My fear is that if they shut it down at some point they will restart it. Can't we keep it shut down?

Neither side wants it to shut down in the first place, and neither side will allow it to be shut down for more than a week or so.
Last year when 3' of snow was on the ground, DC essentially shut down for three days.
People noticed.
They noticed that essential services were still going on.
They noticed that the wars kept going.
They noticed that in a lot of cases, not having federal meddling actually caused the services in question to go more smoothly.
Both sides realize exactly what will happen if it shuts down - if it goes too long, more and more people will wake up.
Both sides want to prevent that happening at all costs.

Sovereign Forever
04-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Shut it down,lock the doors,Live FREE or DIE !!!

smithtg
04-07-2011, 08:21 AM
the military contractors will be paid. I heard one of the compromise proposals was to fund the pentagon fully for the rest of the FY and then work on the other stuff

such BS

tangent4ronpaul
04-07-2011, 08:26 AM
I live outside of DC. It'll get noticed. For one thing, I'll be getting to work at least 10 minutes earlier.

Neither side wants it to shut down in the first place, and neither side will allow it to be shut down for more than a week or so.
Last year when 3' of snow was on the ground, DC essentially shut down for three days.
People noticed.
They noticed that essential services were still going on.
They noticed that the wars kept going.
They noticed that in a lot of cases, not having federal meddling actually caused the services in question to go more smoothly.
Both sides realize exactly what will happen if it shuts down - if it goes too long, more and more people will wake up.
Both sides want to prevent that happening at all costs.

nailed it!
+rep

pcosmar
04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Fighting it?
Who is we?

I wish I could be optimistic about it being true, but I suspect it is FUD.
:(

smithtg
04-07-2011, 11:34 AM
the military contractors will be paid. I heard one of the compromise proposals was to fund the pentagon fully for the rest of the FY and then work on the other stuff

such BS

just read this was in the 'compromise bill' that would extend it another week. looks like Barry is bringing out the veto though because he loves the EPA too much