PDA

View Full Version : Cops, chasing suspect through unconnected person's yard, shoots, kills, dog.

Anti Federalist
04-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Dog killed during police foot chase
Posted: Apr 06, 2011 5:48 PM CDT
Updated: Apr 06, 2011 5:48 PM CDT
Posted by Charles Gazaway - email

http://www.wave3.com/story/14398291/dog-killed-during-police-foot-chase

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – One man is in custody after a home invasion and foot chase that left a dog dead.

According to MetroSafe, it started around 6 p.m. in the 600 block of Lindell Avenue. The suspect took off on foot and ran into another backyard where a dog attacked the officers who were chasing the suspect. An officer was forced shoot and kill the dog.

The suspect was arrested a short time later in the 600 block of S. 35th Street, just north of Broadway. No injuries were reported.

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 12:43 PM
///

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 12:47 PM
How does a dog let a suspect through and attack his pursuer? Are we sure the cop wasn't taking a shortcut? And if he was, couldn't he find a yard to cut through with no dog in it?

Icymudpuppy
04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Dog's have an innate ability to sense who is the real threat to his pack.

aGameOfThrones
04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
How does a dog let a suspect through and attack his pursuer? Are we sure the cop wasn't taking a shortcut? And if he was, couldn't he find a yard to cut through with no dog in it?

The dog couldn't tell who was the bigger criminal... Besides, it probably reads all the news of his fellow dogs being murder, he decided to go out fighting.

Yieu
04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Dog killed during police foot chase
No injuries were reported.

lol except for the fatal injury.

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Update:

Police Shoot, Kill Dog During Foot Chase

http://www.wlky.com/news/27459737/detail.html

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Police officers chased a home invasion suspect on foot through a neighborhood, but also ended up shooting and killing a dog in its own back yard.

Police said the dog attacked an officer, but the dog's owner said that explanation is ridiculous.

"It's heartbreaking. It's killing me," said Michelle Damron, the dog's owner. "I just think shooting a dog and letting it suffer to its death because you're too scared to get bit was wrong -- especially when you came in his yard."

Damron said she raised Rocco since he was just three days old. But on Wednesday, the 6-year-old full-sized Doberman found himself caught in the middle of a police pursuit -- right outside his own cage.

Police said officers were chasing a home invasion suspect through Damron's neighborhood on Madelon Court around 6 p.m. when the suspect darted into her back yard.

"I got up to see what was going on because the dog was raising a fit, just barking, and I saw somebody else come as I was getting to the door, and as soon as I opened the door, I heard two gunshots," Damron said. "I looked over and my dog was hollering and there was blood everywhere, and he went inside of his dog house and eventually died."

"He went back in there crying and screaming and eventually died. He suffered," Damron continued. "They were chasing an armed robber and I guess he feared he was going to get bit. That dog wouldn't have bit."

Police said the Doberman jumped on the suspect and then attacked an officer. They said the officer had to shoot the dog in self-defense and to protect the suspect.

Still, Damron is unconvinced.

"It did not give them the right to shoot my dog. I mean, a dog is going to bark. That's his job. He's in his yard. You come in his yard, he's going to bark," Damron said.

Metro Animal Services came to remove the dog from the scene. Damron said she wants more.

"I think something ought to be done other than an apology. An apology doesn't stop his hurt. It doesn't stop my hurt. It doesn't bring back my dog," Damron said.

Police are calling it a horrible situation. But they said that doesn't change the fact that police officers have the right to defend themselves when they're being attacked, whether by a human or by an animal.

Police said the department is working with the dog's owner and her family to help with the situation.

Police said the home invasion suspect was Dijon Barlow, 24. He was handcuffed and taken into custody shortly after the dog was shot. He's being charged with fleeing or evading police, resisting arrest and third-degree criminal trespass.

heavenlyboy34
04-07-2011, 01:09 PM
WTF?? :( Domesticated dobies (like the victim in this story) aren't a threat to regular people-this should have been obvious because the suspect made it through just fine. The cop is an absolute bastard and a menace. :mad:

aGameOfThrones
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm betting that once he saw the dog's size he just shot it. Anyone else would be charge, but since it's a pirate it's ok.

Pericles
04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
lol except for the fatal injury.

That ^ We need kevlar with level III SAPI plates for dogs.

BamaAla
04-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Update:

Police are calling it a horrible situation. But they said that doesn't change the fact that police officers have the right to defend themselves when they're being attacked, whether by a human or by an animal.

And I have the right to defend my fucking property...

ChaosControl
04-07-2011, 01:48 PM
I'd want that piece of **** cop dead.
I hate these damn animal killing **** bags.

Kylie
04-07-2011, 01:49 PM

This ^

SWATH
04-07-2011, 02:05 PM
So I'm guessing if the homeowner saw a dark figure in his back yard shoot his dog and he actually shot the dark figure then he would be charged with murder and the home invader would walk with a much lesser charge. These are the fucked up consequences of not respecting property rights.

LibertyRevolution
04-07-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that you cant shoot someone for shooting your dog.
You were not the one in danger and you had opportunity to retreat as they shot your dog.

Now should the the city be liable for the damage to your property (dead dog), Yes.
I'm sure they will be compensated with enough money to buy a new dog :/
Not that a new dog would in anyway replace your original one...

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Now should the the city be liable for the damage to your property (dead dog), Yes.

They'll charge the suspect they were chasing, if he has enough money to cover it. By the current populare reasoning, it was all his fault the cop got close enough to the dog to get scared.

coastie
04-07-2011, 03:36 PM
You were not the one in danger and you had opportunity to retreat as they shot your dog.

And I'm pretty sure you're wrong, not unless you live in one of the few states where there is a duty to retreat cower and await your death.

In Florida, the way the law reads, I could legally shoot someone for shooting my dog- IF the other person is trespassing on my property, and caught them in the act, my dog was on my property, etc. I would have to actually be present while the shooting was going on, anything other than that , such as chasing him down and shooting him would buy a ticket to prison.

BamaAla
04-07-2011, 03:39 PM
And I'm pretty sure you're wrong, not unless you live in one of the few states where there is a duty to retreat cower and await your death.

In Florida, the way the law reads, I could legally shoot someone for shooting my dog- IF the other person is trespassing on my property, and caught them in the act, my dog was on my property, etc. I would have to actually be present while the shooting was going on, anything other than that , such as chasing him down and shooting him would buy a ticket to prison.

Castle Doctrine and Stand your ground are beautiful things.

I know many people who if put in this situation would provide a test case...

pcosmar
04-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Perhaps not "legally" but certainly have that right morally.

coastie
04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Castle Doctrine and Stand your ground are beautiful things.

I know many people who if put in this situation would provide a test case...

And now you "know" one more.:p

Son of Detroit
04-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Just curious...Where the hell do you find these articles AF? Do you go searching for articles about cops shooting dogs yourself, or is there another site where they all get posted and then you just re-post them?

specsaregood
04-07-2011, 03:48 PM

And we have a winner.

heavenlyboy34
04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Just curious...Where the hell do you find these articles AF? Do you have a constant feed to articles about cops shooting dogs?

There are a lot of good sources out there. Will Grigg is a good source, and cop watch too. AF seems to have even more sources than I do. /impressive

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Just curious...Where the hell do you find these articles AF? Do you go searching for articles about cops shooting dogs yourself, or is there another site where they all get posted and then you just re-post them?

I use Will Grigg's site, Radley Balko's site and I run a search at least once a day on various news feeds and google:

Police shoot dog
Police taser man
Police shoot man

Are my most common search terms.

This story came up in one of those searches

ChaosControl
04-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Maybe you are not legally entitled to, but you damn well have the right to regardless what the POS authoritarian government says.
I have the right to protect my family from harm and that includes pets.

FreedomProsperityPeace
04-07-2011, 06:46 PM
"I looked over and my dog was hollering and there was blood everywhere, and he went inside of his dog house and eventually died."Poor thing. :(

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Maybe you are not legally entitled to, but you damn well have the right to regardless what the POS authoritarian government says.
I have the right to protect my family from harm and that includes pets.

And the sad fact that of the matter is that if you try that against state enforcers, mundane, you're more than likely to be cut into ribbons by automatic weapons fire.

Anti Federalist
04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Update - Family sues.

Metro officer sued in dog's death

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120409/NEWS01/304090056/Metro-officer-sued-dog-s-death?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|s

A Louisville family has filed a lawsuit against a Metro Police officer alleging that he shot and killed their dog without cause last year while chasing a burglary suspect in the Shawnee neighborhood.

Michelle Damron and her son, Austin Pike, filed suit last week in Jefferson Circuit Court against Officer Joseph Pence, claiming that he shot their 7-year-old Doberman pinscher, Rocco, on April 6, 2011, while the dog was “lawfully tethered” in their backyard in the 600 block of Madelon Court.

The suit claims Rocco posed no threat and Pence fired his weapon “without probable cause or justification,” shooting the dog twice in the upper torso and neck.

Rocco, according to the lawsuit, retreated to his doghouse where he lay “bleeding and screaming for a period of time” before bleeding to death.

Pence’s conduct was “beyond the bounds of human decency” and caused the family emotional distress, according to the lawsuit.

Claims made in filing a lawsuit present only one side of a case.

Police spokeswoman Carey Klain said the department has not yet seen the lawsuit and couldn’t comment.

Last year, Klain told the newspaper that officers had responded to an apartment break-in in the 600 block of Lindell Avenue and saw a man running who matched a description of the suspect.

The man ran three blocks to Madelon Court, where he entered a backyard. An officer followed him, and both were approached by a large Doberman, Klain said.

The dog leaped onto the suspect, and the officer tried to wrestle the man to the ground before the dog started attacking the officer, Klain said.

The officer shot and killed the dog, while the suspect ran to the back of another house. He was found a short time later and arrested.

Police policy allows officers to shoot domestic animals if they are being threatened by the animal, Klain had said.

The lawsuit, which is claiming that the shooting of the dog “constituted an unlawful seizure and taking” of property without proper cause or justification, is seeking damages and a jury trial.

Kylie
04-10-2012, 09:11 PM
“beyond the bounds of human decency”

Award for understatement of the year. Assholes.

I cannot fathom being in this situation. I can imagine that I would react the same way I would if he had just shot my child.

I pray to God that I never have to feel that.