PDA

View Full Version : Government shutdown...only things deemed "essential" will get funded? Sweet.

mconder
04-06-2011, 03:39 PM
I love how this article talks about how only "essential" functions of various agencies would get funding. Um, ya...kinda seems like what we should be going for here.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GOVERNMENT_SHUTDOWN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-04-06-11-51-27

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Exactly. That is all government should do, to begin with.

DamianTV
04-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Wouldnt the government consider just about everything it does to be 'essential'?

Ranger29860
04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
"But they already have acknowledged that U.S. military troops - including those in war zones - would receive one week's pay instead of two in their next paycheck if the government were to close."

O fuck that. As a vet that is most disgraceful thing i have read in a LONG time!

2 things you do not mess with is active troop pay and va benefits. I can take the benefits stuff for non disabled vets being cut back somewhat but do not dock active soldier pay. Especially in a war zone.

Brett85
04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
The only negative I really see is that our troops won't actually receive checks until the government opens back up again. It could be hard on some of them.

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
woot!

shut it down permanently!

I support no budget agreement ever!

123tim
04-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I didn't realize that it would have to come to this:

As the talks continued, the White House sought to put the prospect of a shutdown in terms people would care about, warning even that the beloved National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade in the nation's capital would be wiped out.

Andrew-Austin
04-06-2011, 04:57 PM
I didn't realize that it would have to come to this:

lol, oh noes, teh horror.

speciallyblend
04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
emergency vote to shut the government down permanently! WE CAN DO ITTTTT!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

susano
04-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Who makes the decisions about what will be paid for and what won't? Why not lay off the entire IRS and pay the soldiers?

Ranger29860
04-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Who makes the decisions about what will be paid for and what won't? Why not lay off the entire IRS and pay the soldiers?

I just cant wrap my head around the fact that soldiers are getting pay withheld. Out of all the things i have seen cut budget wise lately in the year or so it has mostly been military related. I'm not referring to war funding i'm talking about VA benefits and active duty stuff. Military pay is almost nothing in the 600 billion+ defense budget.

This is a educated guess. e5 with 6+ years earns about 30k a year officers go up a good bit more but i average 50k if i want to get crazy. We had roughly 850k troops in 2010. thats roughly 45 billion for pay. Now i know we get bah and housing and maintenance on bases. But to say out of a 600 billion budget pay HAS to be taken is just silly.

Anti Federalist
04-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Everything that will cause pain, inconvenience and financial hardship for millions of mundanes intertwined with government will be shut down.

Everything that protects, projects or procures government power will be left fully funded.

Anti Federalist
04-06-2011, 05:16 PM
I just cant wrap my head around the fact that soldiers are getting pay withheld. Out of all the things i have seen cut budget wise lately in the year or so it has mostly been military related. I'm not referring to war funding i'm talking about VA benefits and active duty stuff. Military pay is almost nothing in the 600 billion+ defense budget.

This is a educated guess. e5 with 6+ years earns about 30k a year officers go up a good bit more but i average 50k if i want to get crazy. We had roughly 850k troops in 2010. thats roughly 45 billion for pay. Now i know we get bah and housing and maintenance on bases. But to say out of a 600 billion budget pay HAS to be taken is just silly.

I'm all for it.

Nothing makes a soldier throw down his arms and go home faster than not getting paid.

The Red Army of the old USSR ceased to be threat almost overnight when the soldiers had enough of hanging around not getting paid.

pcosmar
04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
"...only things deemed "essential"

:confused:

By who?

My idea and their idea of what is essential are somewhat different

specsaregood
04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm all for it.
Nothing makes a soldier throw down his arms and go home faster than not getting paid.
The Red Army of the old USSR ceased to be threat almost overnight when the soldiers had enough of hanging around not getting paid.

Im in agreement, except if I was a soldier not getting paid, I wouldn't just throw my arms down. I'd either sell it or find something else useful to do with it.

Anti Federalist
04-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Im in agreement, except if I was a soldier not getting paid, I wouldn't just throw my arms down. I'd either sell it or find something else useful to do with it.

No doubt.

And they, the old Red Army, did do a lot of that, both selling them to the highest bidder or contracting their "services" out.

Lord of War documents quite a bit of it, even for a fictional movie.

specsaregood
04-06-2011, 05:22 PM
No doubt.
And they, the old Red Army, did do a lot of that, both selling them to the highest bidder or contracting their "services" out.
Lord of War documents quite a bit of it, even for a fictional movie.

Exactly. However, I think our troops are at a disadvantage since so many are stuck overseas. They can't easily just decide to go home.

s35wf
04-06-2011, 05:29 PM
We Just Marched In, We Should Just March Out! BRING THEM HOME!

NO TROOPS NO WAR!

Ranger29860
04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm kinda wondering if this might lead to the "State of emergency" power grab. I'm interested to see if any executive orders get put down come Friday.

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
"But they already have acknowledged that U.S. military troops - including those in war zones - would receive one week's pay instead of two in their next paycheck if the government were to close."

O fuck that. As a vet that is most disgraceful thing i have read in a LONG time!

2 things you do not mess with is active troop pay and va benefits. I can take the benefits stuff for non disabled vets being cut back somewhat but do not dock active soldier pay. Especially in a war zone.

They are trying to make it hurt, but that is shameful. Last time social security checks and troop pay continued. This administration just doesn't see it that way.

Anti Federalist
04-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Exactly. However, I think our troops are at a disadvantage since so many are stuck overseas. They can't easily just decide to go home.

I would personally donate my time to command a vessel to help bring them home by sea.

Or, I would gladly pay for one way airfare, an "adopt a troop" sort of thing.

Imagine that, millions of Americans, shelling their own money out to just bring these men home...Bet they wouldn't be too keen on sending them back any time soon.