PDA

View Full Version : CLAIM: Atom Smasher May Have Found New Force of Nature, New Elementary Particle

FrankRep
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
"If it is real, it would be the most significant discovery in physics in half a century."

US atom smasher may have found new force of nature (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/us-atom-smasher-may-found-force-nature-report-20110406-073624-567.html)

AFP News
April 6, 2011

Physicists will announce Wednesday that data from a major US atom smasher lab may have revealed a new elementary particle, or potentially a new force of nature, one of the researchers told AFP.

The discovery is believed to relate to mass and how objects obtain it -- a persistent riddle to experts and one of the most sought-after answers in all of physics.

"There could be some new force beyond the force that we know," said Giovanni Punzi, a physicist with the international research team that is analyzing the data.

"If it is confirmed, it could point to a whole new world of interactions," he told AFP.

While much remains a mystery, one thing researchers agree on is that this is something beyond the "God Particle," or the Higgs-boson, a hypothetical elementary particle which has long eluded physicists who believe it could explain why objects have mass.

"The Higgs-boson is a piece that goes into the puzzle that we already have," said Punzi. "Whereas this is something that goes a little bit beyond that -- a new interaction, a new force."

ItsTime
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
5 years before it is a weapon.

Stary Hickory
04-06-2011, 02:05 PM
This is the soul of god it may not be weaponized..True stoory

But yeah the first thing I thought was great a new bomb.

tangent4ronpaul
04-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Hay - we needed another "big Bang" anyway.... :rolleyes:

oh, and for all you college students next semester: sooo soooorrry - no used physics book for you!

hmmm... mass = anti gravity = potentially limitless energy or very efficient energy production = interstellar travel. Then again, we would probably blow up the universe playing with it first.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-06-2011, 02:11 PM
The Force?

http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images/b/b0/Obi-wan_force_moves_goats.gif

Guitarzan
04-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Beyond the Higgs boson?

Wow maybe they found an Edgar Cayce boson...

pcosmar
04-06-2011, 02:28 PM
The particle will come into full definable view on 12-21-2012.
;)

Standing Like A Rock
04-06-2011, 02:32 PM
If they discover a way to completely convert mass into energy, the consequences would be staggering. E=mc^2 so just 1 gram of mass would be converted into 8.987x10^13 Joules of energy (i.e. 89.87 TJ) or 21.5 kilotons of TNT which is slightly less than the amount of energy released by the nuclear bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan.

I do not think that is what they discovered though.

libertyjam
04-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I think of trying to discern the nature of sub-atomics by smashing atoms together and seeing what comes out is akin to trying to discern the workings of an IC engine by smashing two engines together and looking at the pieces that come flying out. The analogy doesn't quite work but close enough.

awake
04-06-2011, 03:08 PM
They spent how many billions? They're going to find something - believe me.

Brooklyn Red Leg
04-06-2011, 03:28 PM

Sad thing is that it was discovered over a hundred years ago: electricity. They are not going to find any Higgs-Boson. They are going into CYA mode because they found not a goddamn thing that we didn't know before so they are attempting to deflect blame by hyping a fake lead.

stuntman stoll
04-06-2011, 03:45 PM

I give it 50 - 50 odds of being legit. There's a big incentive for them to come up with BS to justify the continued spending of billions. Same thing happening with the global warming industry.

Ranger29860
04-06-2011, 05:15 PM
out of all the things i would prefer to fund (if my money is getting taken anyway) is something like this. They may never find something but its a lot better than blowing countries up.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-06-2011, 05:21 PM
oh, and for all you college students next semester: sooo soooorrry - no used physics book for you!

It's been a little while for me, but I think it's like that anyway. lol