PDA

View Full Version : Ryan's budget increases Congressional pay $14,000 per year

teacherone
04-06-2011, 01:48 PM
according to dailykos

Honing in on his plan to lower all individual income tax rates to 25 percent...

Who would see a tax cut in Ryan's budget?

EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF CONGRESS!

That's right! Currently members of Congress like Paul Ryan are paid a base salary of $174,000 per year.

For this salary, they are currently taxed in the 33 percent income tax bracket, but Ryan's budget would have them taxed instead at the 25 percent rate currently enjoyed by individuals who make between $34,001 and $82,400.

This amounts to a tax cut for members of Congress like Paul Ryan of $13,920 per year!

For Speaker of the House John Boehner, who makes $223,500 per year, who is also currently situated in the 33 percent tax bracket, he will see a base increase in take-home pay of $17,880.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/04/05/950535/-Ryans-budget-increases-Congressional-pay-$14,000-per-year

Stary Hickory
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Your title is more than just misleading there. While I am all for taming congressional paychecks I don't at all see how this is some back door deal to get a raise. I guess we are to think that in order to get an extra 14k a year(many polticians are already quite well off) that they are willing to give EVERYONE the same tax rate.

Say that if they alone received a break then yea I could see this, but seeing as they are cutting taxes down the line this is bogus. If they abolished taxes altogether they and everyone else would pay no taxes.

Icymudpuppy
04-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Once again, I suggest that congressional pay should be the average income of constituents in their district tallied on a daily basis. Thus, no pay unless it is an actual work day in the capital.

Who's with me.

Also, how about some performace based pay... A bonus of $1000 for each "yeah" vote every time they pass a bill cutting spending by at least $100 billion/year. A bonus of $1000 for each "No" vote on bills that would increase spending by $10billion/year.

Stary Hickory
04-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Once again, I suggest that congressional pay should be the average income of constituents in their district tallied on a daily basis. Thus, no pay unless it is an actual work day in the capital.

Who's with me.

Also, how about some performace based pay... A bonus of $1000 for each "yeah" vote every time they pass a bill cutting spending by at least $100 billion/year. A bonus of $1000 for each "No" vote on bills that would increase spending by $10billion/year.

Congress should be an extremely part time affair if you ask me. Less time in session, so they can do less damage. 174k in Washington DC is a healthy living, it's not outrageous but they are not hurting in the slightest. I would like to cut it more, I don't want to make in financially impossible for people to do though, I mean the average guy out there.

Cowlesy
04-06-2011, 02:15 PM
And every other single person in their tax bracket...misleading...