PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from a government shutdown(Celebration or Horror?)

aGameOfThrones
04-06-2011, 12:51 PM
During the shutdowns of 1995 and 1996, cleanup work on toxic waste sites was halted because contractors could not be paid and Environmental Protection Agency officials could not monitor cleanup work. Work on more than 3,500 bankruptcy cases was suspended, and the government took a break from going after deadbeat dads. Tens of thousands of passport and visa applications went unprocessed.

“We realized that the world was a very different place in 1995 than now,” said one official familiar with the planning, who insisted on anonymity to speak candidly about it. “In 1995, you really didn’t have the question of: Are Web sites essential? Is e-mail essential? What do you do about people’s BlackBerrys? Is a Twitter feed an essential way of communicating? None of that existed. These are all legal questions to figure out.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42446224/ns/politics-the_new_york_times?GT1=43001

libertarian4321
04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I remember the "shut down" as pretty much a non-event.

As an environmental professional working for the government at the time, I remember NO effect on my work from the shut down.

Frankly, the "shut down" will likely be little more than a paid vacation for a few government bureaucrats.

acptulsa
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
WTF does the government have to do with the web? They think it all goes through the old DARPA net? Or do they figure the government spends so much on advertising that all these providers will go broke overnight?

All that will happen is the worst catastrophe ms/ge can imagine: The people will discover it not only isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing.

Zippyjuan
04-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Unless it goes on for a very long time, it really won't have much of an impact for most people.

ItsTime
04-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Are they threatening to shut down the internet if the government shuts down?

tangent4ronpaul
04-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Are they threatening to shut down the internet if the government shuts down?

That would b a dumb move. Huge hit on the economy and it would probably spark a civil uprising.

That of course has some major up sides... would really piss off and wake up a bunch of sheeple.

acptulsa
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
That would b a dumb move. Huge hit on the economy and it would probably spark a civil uprising.

That of course has some major up sides... would really piss off and wake up a bunch of sheeple.

Hell of a question and I wish them luck with that crap. I remember a time when the proto-'net operated exclusively through modems and land lines. No gubbermint required.

Brian4Liberty
04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Frankly, the "shut down" will likely be little more than a paid vacation for a few government bureaucrats.

Probably right. Now if it was unpaid, we'd be making some progress...

ItsTime
04-06-2011, 01:26 PM

That they could blame on Republicans.

acptulsa
04-06-2011, 01:30 PM
How would they do it? They'd have to move to do it, spending money in the process. The whole internet doesn't go through some government Cray somewhere.

They do this and they'll tip their hand. Everyone will know they spent money they didn't have to make it happen, rather than just failing to pay some contractor or some electric bill.

tangent4ronpaul
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure Barry's Internet kill switch didn't go through and people are smart enough to know that it was a direct act by Obama.

acptulsa
04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm pretty sure Barry's Internet kill switch didn't go through and people are smart enough to know that it was a direct act by Obama.

Except msnbc, of course. They will remain willfully ignorant and dumb on the subject.

ihsv
04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
My only fear is that I'll be going to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot this weekend, and if I decide to buy something, I'm afraid there won't be anyone available at the background check offices in DC to grant me permission to exercise my 2nd amendment rights.

Guess I'll have to go Friday morning. We'll see.

smithtg
04-06-2011, 02:11 PM
whats dumb is that I heard they will pay them after they pass a new budget (for sitting on their ass) while the budget does finally get passed

Icymudpuppy
04-06-2011, 02:14 PM
My only fear is that I'll be going to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot this weekend, and if I decide to buy something, I'm afraid there won't be anyone available at the background check offices in DC to grant me permission to exercise my 2nd amendment rights.

Guess I'll have to go Friday morning. We'll see.

Good opportunity to just buy something and f*** the gov. You don't need their permission.

tangent4ronpaul
04-06-2011, 02:14 PM
whats dumb is that I heard they will pay them after they pass a new budget (for sitting on their ass) while the budget does finally get passed

was reading an article a few mins ago that said that was questionable and probably would not happen.

awake
04-06-2011, 02:16 PM
What happens when a gang of thieves go on strike? The answer: we are all richer for it. This why the "one party" can not allow it to go too long, people would realize it.

heavenlyboy34
04-06-2011, 02:20 PM
WTF does the government have to do with the web? They think it all goes through the old DARPA net? Or do they figure the government spends so much on advertising that all these providers will go broke overnight?

All that will happen is the worst catastrophe ms/ge can imagine: The people will discover it not only isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing.

This ^^

smithtg
04-06-2011, 03:56 PM
dont bet on it. Enough of them whine and they will pay them

Ranger29860
04-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm actually pretty concerned about this since it would affect VA payments. I'm currently enrolled in school receiving the post 9-11 GI bill and if this affects my school getting paid i'm gonna be pissed. They already have butchered my benefits that i was promised under contract. I could care less about the BAH i'm prepared enough to last awhile with my job and all.

I cant imagine how this is going to affect disabled vets.

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-06-2011, 06:27 PM
http://llenrock.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/party.gif

sirgonzo420
04-06-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm actually pretty concerned about this since it would affect VA payments. I'm currently enrolled in school receiving the post 9-11 GI bill and if this affects my school getting paid i'm gonna be pissed. They already have butchered my benefits that i was promised under contract. I could care less about the BAH i'm prepared enough to last awhile with my job and all.

I cant imagine how this is going to affect disabled vets.

aaaaaaand that's the sort of reason why you SHOULDN'T contract with governments