PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Jesse Ventura preaches Ron Paul to the ladies of The View

jct74
04-06-2011, 12:33 PM
audience seems to like Ron Paul too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV784UEGWHY

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I try to appreciate Jesse Ventura, but he is so sensationalistic I have a hard time with it. But Ron is going on the View, so this is interesting. Note the eye rolling about getting rid of DHS?

Matt Collins
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
When was Ventura on the View?

Wren
04-06-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't support an independent run, but that interview was fucking awesome. I am totally pumped for the debates after watching this

rawful
04-06-2011, 12:50 PM
When was Ventura on the View?

Today.

ItsTime
04-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Ron will announce before he is on The View. Good job who ever booked him on there. We need the women voters. Pleasssssssssse Ron, be prepared and on your A game!

Matt Collins
04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Today.
Wow, they must be slow learners. After what AJ did I am amazed they let Ventura on.

Wesker1982
04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
loled when Woopie talked about peeing on the lawn. Good interview.

ClayTrainor
04-06-2011, 12:57 PM

I like that idea :D

Let's organize a "piss on Washington" protest, haha

VBRonPaulFan
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
that joy behar lady looked PISSED when he ripped on obama and asked "where's the change?", LOL

ItsTime
04-06-2011, 01:02 PM

They already did that, it was called "inauguration".

AdamT
This is amazing!

ClayTrainor
that joy behar lady looked PISSED when he ripped on obama and asked "where's the change?", LOL

She also seemed annoyed that Ron wants to abolish The dept of homeland security.

teacherone
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
he's wrong...

we live in a one party dictatorship.

AuH20
04-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Is Jesse Ventura the best ambassador for Ron Paul? As if Ron needs anymore headaches. He's trying to stave off the "crazy" label for a round 2 presidential run and then we have Jesse who embellishes things while using a highly abrasive style.

speciallyblend
04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I try to appreciate Jesse Ventura, but he is so sensationalistic I have a hard time with it. But Ron is going on the View, so this is interesting. Note the eye rolling about getting rid of DHS?

i thought beck and alex jones had that wrapped up:) i understand some do not like jesse but jesse ventura is someone i would trust behind me;) honestly i would never let a neo-con behind me except at cpac i was probably outflanked at some point;)

ItsTime
04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Is Jesse Ventura the best ambassador for Ron Paul? As if Ron needs anymore headaches. He's trying to stave off the "crazy" label for a round 2 presidential run and then we have Jesse who embellishes things while using a highly abrasive style.

Yeah we should just leave it up to Alex Jones, where Ron goes on voluntarily. I wonder if Ron minds?

Nate-ForLiberty
04-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Wow, they must be slow learners. After what AJ did I am amazed they let Ventura on.

all about the ratings!

speciallyblend
04-06-2011, 01:15 PM

the gop is the problem not jesse! don't worry we have donald trump now!!

AGRP
04-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Shenanigans.

He says he loves Ron Paul, yet he says not to vote Republican or Democrat.

Third parties will NEVER work. The only chance is to infiltrate the Ds and Rs and it's working.

ChaosControl
04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Shenanigans.

Yet he'd run with RP, meaning he says to vote for RP.
I agree with him not to vote R or D.

ItsTime
04-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Shenanigans.

Third parties will NEVER work. The only chance is to infiltrate the Ds and Rs and it's working.

He should say "unless it is Ron Paul"

teacherone
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Shenanigans.

plus rep.

Funny how they give him such respect-- the guy peddling "conspiracy theories".

even threw in alex jones there!

thedude
04-06-2011, 01:22 PM
plus rep.

Funny how they give him such respect-- the guy peddling "conspiracy theories".

even threw in alex jones there!

They showed Alex Jones respect when he was on their show... geesh, just letting him on the show is a sign of respect.

teacherone
04-06-2011, 01:23 PM
They showed Alex Jones respect when he was on their show... geesh, just letting him on the show is a sign of respect.

Both Jesse and Alex steamrolled the ladies.

Let's hope Ron brings out the Alpha dog.

Captain Shays
04-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Ron will announce before he is on The View. Good job who ever booked him on there. We need the women voters. Pleasssssssssse Ron, be prepared and on your A game!

I was just about to comment on the facial expression of that dolt who was sitting to Jesse's right. (Don't know her name Jail Bateheart or something) When she asked Jesse about Ron Paul she asked "he's pro life isn't he"? Part of Jesse's answer was that even though he himself is pro choice he could overlook that one position of Ron Paul's because RP is right about the Federal Reserve. Her response revealed her single issue position and one that Ron Paul and his advisers should be well aware of before they get on that show. To that lady the abortion issue is THE issue. She probably didn't even hear Jesse mention the Federal Reserve because her mind was reeling about Ron Paul being pro life and you can bet that she would NEVER vote for a pro life candidate. But see, Ron Paul has a great opportunity to convey the Constitutional position on abortion and many of the single issue voters could, like Jesse put it behind a more important issue (The Fed) IF Ron Paul can convey it well. He needs to be prepared and he needs to bring in those women voters who are pro choice even though he is prolife. So I totally agree with you

teacherone
04-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I was just about to comment on the facial expression of that dolt who was sitting to Jesse's right. (Don't know her name Jail Bateheart or something) When she asked Jesse about Ron Paul she asked "he's pro life isn't he"? Part of Jesse's answer was that even though he himself is pro choice he could overlook that one position of Ron Paul's because RP is right about the Federal Reserve. Her response revealed he single issue position and one that Ron Paul and his advisers should be well aware of before they get on that show. To that lady the abortion issue is THE issue. She probably didn't even hear Jesse mention the Federal Reserve because her mind was reeling about Ron Paul being pro life and you can bet that she would NEVER vote for a pro life candidate. But see, Ron Paul has a great opportunity to convey the Constitutional position on abortion and many of the single issue voters could like Jesse put it behind some more important issue (The Fed) IF Ron Paul can convey it well. He needs to be prepared and he needs to bring in those women voters who are pro choice even though he is prolife.

Not to turn this into an abortion debate... but it's a big deal for liberal women.

They have their own notion about self-ownership and privacy and it's generally a top issue.

AuH20
04-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Not to turn this into an abortion debate... but it's a big deal for liberal women.

They have their own notion about self-ownership and privacy and it's generally a top issue.

I'm sure slave ownership was a big deal to Southern plantation owners as well. LOL

ds21089
04-06-2011, 01:34 PM

I hate how women make it all about them though. If a woman is pregnant and the man wants it, but the woman doesn't. Is it really pro-choice to force the man to give up the baby when he wants? Last I checked, women cant reproduce with themselves. I hate this issue with a passion and in my opinion, anyone whom thinks that's the biggest issue America is facing is a huge piece of shit.

I know it is a huge issue because some will claim the baby wasn't a living thing and others will claim it is, but should that really be a key topic on whether somebody deserves to be president or not based on their view of that? This is a pathetic nation if people agreed with everything Ron Paul said, but didn't vote for him simply because he is pro-life.

I guarantee that you could go back to many of the great presidents we've had in the history of our nation and question them about whether they were pro-life or not and they'd be shocked at how such a stupid question could bare any relevance in the decision-making needed to run a country.

thedude
04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I was just about to comment on the facial expression of that dolt who was sitting to Jesse's right. (Don't know her name Jail Bateheart or something) When she asked Jesse about Ron Paul she asked "he's pro life isn't he"? Part of Jesse's answer was that even though he himself is pro choice he could overlook that one position of Ron Paul's because RP is right about the Federal Reserve. Her response revealed her single issue position and one that Ron Paul and his advisers should be well aware of before they get on that show. To that lady the abortion issue is THE issue. She probably didn't even hear Jesse mention the Federal Reserve because her mind was reeling about Ron Paul being pro life and you can bet that she would NEVER vote for a pro life candidate. But see, Ron Paul has a great opportunity to convey the Constitutional position on abortion and many of the single issue voters could, like Jesse put it behind a more important issue (The Fed) IF Ron Paul can convey it well. He needs to be prepared and he needs to bring in those women voters who are pro choice even though he is prolife. So I totally agree with you

Ron Paul should just tell them that he has zero intention to implement his personal beliefs into federal law. He may be pro-life, but that is because he is an OB/GYN. Just because he takes that reasonable position (all MDs are against smoking) doesn't mean he wants the federal government to get involved.

teacherone
04-06-2011, 01:37 PM
in my opinion, anyone whom thinks that's the biggest issue America is facing is a huge piece of shit.

agreed...

now back to the topic at hand.

emazur
04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I hate how women make it all about them though. If a woman is pregnant and the man wants it, but the woman doesn't. Is it really pro-choice to force the man to give up the baby when he wants? Last I checked, women cant reproduce with themselves. I hate this issue with a passion and in my opinion, anyone whom thinks that's the biggest issue America is facing is a huge piece of shit.

You'd love Peter Schiff's response to abortion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDttx64zk4I)

fade
04-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Ron Paul on the view last time around: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlQNa0_Vn_I&feature=related

It's all about abortion.

teacherone
04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Ron Paul on the view last time around: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlQNa0_Vn_I&feature=related

It's all about abortion.

Which is why he needs to LEAD the debate like Alex and Jess and not follow it.

Aldanga
04-06-2011, 02:07 PM
According to Lew Rockwell, Liberty Defined is going to have some interesting stuff on abortion. I think it's going to shake a lot of things up.

The interview was great. Jesse came off as a pretty level-headed guy who has serious concerns that the people are being swindled. We'll see how Ron's visit goes in a few weeks.

Mach
04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Ron Paul should just tell them that he has zero intention to implement his personal beliefs into federal law. He may be pro-life, but that is because he is an OB/GYN. Just because he takes that reasonable position (all MDs are against smoking) doesn't mean he wants the federal government to get involved.

Exactly, just let people know that Ron Paul sees it as a State law, not a Federal one.

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 02:32 PM

No, to that lady Israel aid and DHS are the big issues. Abortion is a red herring.

Also, does anyone here actually know any women who watch the view? I mean, do they have much of a following? I've heard people talk about American Idol, but never the 'View'....

Sola_Fide
04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
You'd love Peter Schiff's response to abortion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDttx64zk4I)

That is an inadequate response.

Personhood begins at conception at it is statist tyranny to deny babies the protection of the law.

ds21089
04-06-2011, 02:54 PM
agreed...

now back to the topic at hand.

I think this interview was definitely a good thing for Ron Paul. While some may think of Jesse Ventura as crazy, I think the fact that he said he would look past the abortion issue simply because Ron Paul's addressing more serious problems was HUGE. I feel that comment right there will stick with a decent amount of people who watch that show and agreed with Ron Paul, but simply couldn't stand the pro-life stance he has. I think as the dollar gets worse and worse, issues such as abortion will become less and less important in peoples' mind which will bring us a lot more woman voters.

jmdrake
04-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Didn't you get the memo? It's not 2008 anymore. We're.....

http://theatozshow.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/charlie-sheen-winning-poster.jpg?w=400&h=400

jmdrake
04-06-2011, 03:22 PM

LOL. Yeah that was good. Remember that Whoopie was the one that called the "opt out day" organizers who were protesting the naked body scanners terrorists. Note that she didn't dare call Ventura a terrorist for suing the TSA and wanting to get rid of the Department of Homeland inSecurity. Why? Because Jesse Ventura documented in his book that how people who call out government tyranny are NOT conspiracy theorists! They are conspiracy REALISTS! Some people here want to continue indefinitely playing patty cake with the new world order, being scared of your shadow and being scared to come out and say what deep down you know is the truth because you don't want to be labeled a "kook" or because you've drunk enough of the NWO kool aid that you actually believe the truth is "kooky". But it wasn't a well reasoned libertarian argument that got Whoopie to take a different position, at least temporarily, on the federal government. It was documenting just how evil this government already is. I look forward to ordering and reading my copy of Ventura's book. And when I'm done with it I'll leave it somewhere for someone else. Perhaps I'll leave it at the airport. I wonder if doing that will get me on the no fly list?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTmoAzJRVw

Edit: Oh yeah, what about "The View" giving every member of their audience a copy of Ventura's book? How about dem apples? :)

AGRP
04-06-2011, 03:34 PM
This is my last straw with Ventura.

Listen to the very end of the interview. They flat out asked him what he would do to solve things. Ventura had a HUGE opportunity to at least plug the 10th Amendment or C4L.

Instead, he urges people not to vote (while he abandons the country for Mexico).

The liberty movement is being taken for a ride into the black abyss with people like Ventura.

Wake up people.

MRoCkEd
04-06-2011, 03:49 PM
That was a good interview.

anaconda
04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Isn't Barbara Walters CFR?

update: oops maybe Barbara Walters isn't on The View..

new update: I think she is on the view or at least used to be...

anaconda
04-06-2011, 04:04 PM
This is my last straw with Ventura.

Listen to the very end of the interview. They flat out asked him what he would do to solve things. Ventura had a HUGE opportunity to at least plug the 10th Amendment or C4L.

Instead, he urges people not to vote (while he abandons the country for Mexico).

The liberty movement is being taken for a ride into the black abyss with people like Ventura.

Wake up people.

He didn't say "don't vote." He said "stop voting for Democrats and Republicans."

AGRP
04-06-2011, 04:18 PM
He didn't say "don't vote." He said "stop voting for Democrats and Republicans."

Which equates to not voting for candidates like Ron and Rand Paul.

Ventura wants to return to the days when people like Ron Paul couldn't get on stage to debate because they weren't a Republican or Democrat. No thanks.

messana
04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Good interview. I'm not too upset for him not plugging CFL or the 10th amendment. He made all the progressives and conservatives question their respected parties. And that is good.

Though he won't be my first choice, I won't really mind having him for VP.

Yes, he's sensationalistic but I think we need some hard hitters like him speaking out against government. Ron Paul does well at the debates, but nobody really seem to remember him 10 minutes afterwards.

s35wf
04-06-2011, 04:30 PM

haha I'd almost try to get to DC for that one! :D

s35wf
04-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I think this interview was definitely a good thing for Ron Paul. While some may think of Jesse Ventura as crazy, I think the fact that he said he would look past the abortion issue simply because Ron Paul's addressing more serious problems was HUGE. I feel that comment right there will stick with a decent amount of people who watch that show and agreed with Ron Paul, but simply couldn't stand the pro-life stance he has. I think as the dollar gets worse and worse, issues such as abortion will become less and less important in peoples' mind which will bring us a lot more woman voters.

I am pro-choice & female & I STILL support Ron Paul! There are MUCH MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES!

specsaregood
04-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Which makes him an enemy. Next he'll be telling people to register independent just like Lou Dobbs did last time, specifically targetting people that could have voted for Paul in the primaries.

ClayTrainor
04-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Which makes him an enemy. Next he'll be telling people to register independent just like Lou Dobbs did last time, specifically targetting people that could have voted for Paul in the primaries.

Political season must be starting up.... people are starting to define the enemy based on what box someone suggests we should or shouldnt tick on a meaningless piece of paper.

Anti Federalist
04-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Amazing to see.

And to the anti-Jones, anti-Ventura scoffers...If I can give Beck a thumbs up for a good show (The Fed episode with G. Edward Griffon) then some of you folks can give a thumbs up for a couple of on fire interviews over the last few days, where real meat and potatoes of the freedom movement were presented to millions of people, perhaps for the first time in their lives!

Nobody has all the answers, nobody does it right 100 percent of the time, but goddamn...we really are "winning".

And that takes a lot to say coming from a hard bitten, grouchy old cynic like myself.

We're on a roll! Push Forward!! No Prisoners!!!

anaconda
04-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Which equates to not voting for candidates like Ron and Rand Paul.

Ventura wants to return to the days when people like Ron Paul couldn't get on stage to debate because they weren't a Republican or Democrat. No thanks.

I believe it was implicit in Ventura's appearance that it would be fine to vote for a Republican or a Democrat if it was Ron Paul. In fact, he may have inferred at one point that he had reconsidered the requirement (about 0:57 to 1:10) that Ron be an independent in order for him to join the ticket as VP, if I understood correctly, although I'm not completely clear by what he meant when he said "it would cause trouble." Don't know if he meant that in a good way or a bad way.

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Amazing to see.

And to the anti-Jones, anti-Ventura scoffers...If I can give Beck a thumbs up for a good show (The Fed episode with G. Edward Griffon) then some of you folks can give a thumbs up for a couple of on fire interviews over the last few days, where real meat and potatoes of the freedom movement were presented to millions of people, perhaps for the first time in their lives!

Nobody has all the answers, nobody does it right 100 percent of the time, but goddamn...we really are "winning".

And that takes a lot to say coming from a hard bitten, grouchy old cynic like myself.

I am fairly sure Jones and Ventura are more sincere than Beck. What makes you think those turned off by sensationalistic tone would gravitate to Beck, of all people?

jmdrake
04-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Amazing to see.

+rep. And to the whiners complaining that Ventura said "Stop voting for democrats and republicans", remember that's essentially what Ron Paul said in 2008 after he dropped out and endorsed 3 different 3rd party candidates! This isn't an either or proposition. Ventura plugged Ron Paul as the only federal candidate worth listening to. If you want to promote a different message, get off y our duff, become famous and promote it yourself.

anaconda
04-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Can Ron get Ventura to take the #2 shears to that hair and wear designer suits with a tie? These are the big questions..

P.S. I say yes.

HOLLYWOOD
04-06-2011, 08:40 PM
GESUS, Jesse Ventura is looking like Peter Boyle in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tPZzR7EpIjg/TJvR_DGJLkI/AAAAAAAAAK4/W4aN-Y9bUI8/s320/Peter+Boyle.jpg

Oh, for THE VIEW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8-RGQUAdno

Romulus
04-06-2011, 08:47 PM
She also seemed annoyed that Ron wants to abolish The dept of homeland security.

I know.. gut reaction - well whaddya replace it with??? How about NOTHING? We got along just fine without it all these years!

Ron to announce on the View? lmao.

Oh yea... Whoopie "Whaddwe do, PEE on the Lawn?" Classy whoopie, real classy.

IDefendThePlatform
04-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Ventura worked his way back onto my good side with that interview. With some coaching by RP in a few areas, he might actually be a decent running mate in the general. And I'll take his endorsement for the primary, too.

I know we mostly prefer logic and reasoning on this board, but darn it there is something to be said for talking loud in politics. Makes people listen.

BucksforPaul
04-07-2011, 12:07 AM
I know we mostly prefer logic and reasoning on this board, but darn it there is something to be said for talking loud in politics. Makes people listen.

I have been telling a co-worker of mine about Ron Paul since 2007 and today she could not stop talking about him. Keep in mind, she has never brought up Ron Paul to me. I am pretty sure she voted for Obama in 2008 but rest assured she is in love with Ron Paul after watching this interview. Some things she said to me as soon as she arrived at work. "Jesse might be running as VP of John Paul ehm I always forget his name ohh Ron Paul." I can't believe she called him John even though I must have said Ron Paul tons of times in the last 4 years. Then she said we need to abolish department of homeland security, get rid of porno scanners and gate rape, wars, the government is building internment camps for Americans. Then, she told me about what happened to the Americans of Japanese descent in WWII and also of "The Trail of tears." I knew about the former but as of now am completely ignorant about the events of The Trail of Tears. I briefly shared Dr. Paul's impressive resume with her which is in alignment with her beliefs.

In four years I could not do what Jesse did in just 10 minutes. haha Her best comment of the day which she repeated twice. "I did not believe Ron Paul before, but he has been right on everything." We are indeed winning!

DamianTV
04-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Idiot women asked "What would you replace the Department of Homegrown Insecurity with?" He should have answered "WITH NOTHING".

Bossobass
04-07-2011, 07:02 AM
I wish folks like Ventura would have the stats in hand when asked inane questions like "Whadda we do"????

You can start by deciding who to support and vote for sooner than the day before the election. That means getting up to speed on the issues and investigating where these "Presidential Hopefuls" come from and where they stand, based on their past actions and, most importantly, who's filling their campaign coffers.

Nearly every person I know who voted for him still doesn't have a clue that Obanana led the league in donations from Wall Street Investment Banks in the '08 election. Try to imagine the state of our economy if those stolen Too Big To Fail trillions were instead made available to small business at 0.25%.

TV is shit.

Bosso

Jack Bauer
04-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Idiot women asked "What would you replace the Department of Homegrown Insecurity with?" He should have answered "WITH NOTHING".

Doctor, after removing my cancer what will you replace it with?

mczerone
04-07-2011, 08:15 AM

Never fully trust "former" CIA agents or other "special operatives"...

crazyfacedjenkins
04-07-2011, 09:19 AM
I have been telling a co-worker of mine about Ron Paul since 2007 and today she could not stop talking about him. Keep in mind, she has never brought up Ron Paul to me. I am pretty sure she voted for Obama in 2008 but rest assured she is in love with Ron Paul after watching this interview. Some things she said to me as soon as she arrived at work. "Jesse might be running as VP of John Paul ehm I always forget his name ohh Ron Paul." I can't believe she called him John even though I must have said Ron Paul tons of times in the last 4 years. Then she said we need to abolish department of homeland security, get rid of porno scanners and gate rape, wars, the government is building internment camps for Americans. Then, she told me about what happened to the Americans of Japanese descent in WWII and also of "The Trail of tears." I knew about the former but as of now am completely ignorant about the events of The Trail of Tears. I briefly shared Dr. Paul's impressive resume with her which is in alignment with her beliefs.

In four years I could not do what Jesse did in just 10 minutes. haha Her best comment of the day which she repeated twice. "I did not believe Ron Paul before, but he has been right on everything." We are indeed winning!

HAHAHAAHAAHAHAHHAAHH!!!! Funny post!!

Edit: I miss read what you were saying about the Trail of Tears. I thought she had told you that the Trail of Tears was inflicted on Japanese Americans. Although I'm surprised you don't know anything about the Trail of Tears. I have great cognitive dissonance trying to reason why someone like Andrew Jackson who abolished the US central bank could inflict such misery on tribal nations.

TIMB0B
04-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Doctor, after removing my cancer what will you replace it with?

lol

WyoLiberty
04-07-2011, 09:41 AM
The interview was good, however, it really has me questioning the reason these liberty types are allowed on the MSM. (Other than ratings) Elisabeth H. was the one that was trying to marginalize Jesse with her general neocon "arguments" - Jesse was successful in marginalizing her.

The net result was generally positive: support Ron Paul, the candidate - not D's or R's, read my book that makes one question the status quo/government and that the 4th amendment is pretty damn important. We must stop demanding perfection from people and that they must think exactly like ME for them to be credible.

I support Ron Paul, the man - not necessarily the candidate. He is spreading the message of liberty and if he happens to become president while doing so, that is just a happy consequence of loving liberty. Ron doesn't need to infiltrate the government. He's been there all along. Since Jesse went on, he got positive exposure for Ron's message, and likely is getting people to question the government - it's a good thing for the liberty movement...

I worry that when they put people like Alex Jones, Jesse and Ron on shows like these - that they will try to marginalize their guests message. So far so good...

The View: 0
Liberty Movement: 2

Fredom101
04-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Elizabeth Hasslebeck is hot AND buffed!

Captain Shays
04-12-2011, 12:46 PM

I totally agree and it's part of the point I was trying to make. Abortion is HUGE and RP needs to be very careful to couch his comments in a way that appeals to both sides of that issue