PDA

View Full Version : Obama’s Own Adviser: This Spending Is 'Cancer' That Will Destroy America

Fire11
04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
The threat of a government shutdown loomed Tuesday as a meeting involving President Barack Obama and congressional leaders fell apart without agreement and the two sides appeared to be further apart than ever.

The potential shutdown comes on the heels of a Treasury Department report showing the country is spending at an alarming rate, and Erskine Bowles, the co-chairman of Obama’s budget committee, describing the nation’s deficit as a “cancer” that could “destroy this country” if nothing is done.

After Tuesday’s meeting with Obama, House Speaker John Boehner declared that no deal had been reached. He also warned House Republicans “will not be put in a box” by being forced to accept a deal that they do not believe is right for the American people.

With Republicans up against their self-imposed, 72-hour advance notice requirement before they will vote on any legislation, the time for a compromise is running short. The current resolution to fund government operations ends Friday.

Bowles recently told the Senate Budget Committee that he is “really concerned” the nation’s grave fiscal woes are being ignored. One sign of the growing deficit problem: The Treasury Department reported that, in March, the federal government spent eight times the amount of tax revenue it collected.

“This debt and these deficits that we are incurring on an annual basis are like a cancer and they are truly going to destroy this country from within unless we have the common sense to do something about it,” Bowles warned.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/ErskineBowles-BarackObama-JohnBoehner-budgetimpasse/2011/04/05/id/391844

Stary Hickory
04-05-2011, 08:59 PM
We long ago passed the point of insanity. When people look back in history they will wonder how America could be so stupid. How this insanity could grip the leaders and half of this nation. We are really in new territory, the degree and scale of lunacy here is probably unprecedented. We are defrauding the entire world, and it is going to hurt when we have to clean this mess up.

Washington DC is a lost cause, if people would just wake up tomorrow and forget about Washington, if they would stop sending them their money, if they gave it no support...our problems would be solved. Without Washington DC America's future is bright...anything is possible again, but with Washington DC our future is bleak with a dark cloud of impending financial ruin and slavery on the horizon.

I wish everyone would wake up tomorrow and unbelieve in Washington. Believe in yourself your family, your neighbors, and even your communities.

acptulsa
04-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Erksine Bowles! Is he really still alive?

Will no one--no one at all--in that administration listen to the wisdom of age?

kah13176
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I half-hope nothing is done. Let government collapse.

Sentient Void
04-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I half-hope nothing is done. Let government collapse.

<3

You're a man after my own heart.

jmdrake
04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Before you get too excited, realize that Erskine Bowles is/was part of the "bipartisan Obama commission on the deficit". There plan? Tax the hell out of us while drastically reducing government services.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/11/commission_leaders_say_cutting.html

I'm cool with the second part, except for the fact that this administration's insistence on dramatically increasing the size and scope of the federal of the federal government while talking about "cutting the deficit" is the height of hubris. And this "commission" said nothing about ending elective wars as a way to cut the deficit. It's a sham. Don't be fooled.