PDA

View Full Version : Are there more dormant supporters like me?

RPIdeaMan08
04-05-2011, 07:48 PM
I have been supporting Ron Paul ever since I saw him in the first debate in 2007. I was aghast by how much information on him there was out there and what happened next in his campaign we all know was unbelievable. Ever since then I began educated myself then. Since I have yet to go to a meetup (I plan to attend April 19th) and I made my first donation last month. This is partly because I was 17 during the election in 2008 and couldn't vote but mainly because I was immature. This year will be different. I may stop attending community college to walk door to door in Orlando. I think just being young will help my case, specifically for older people (which my community is ripe with). Now I can't help but wonder... Is there anyone else like me? Anyone who was either to young or lethargic to commit in 08' but this year is dieing to make an impact. I yield the rest of my time for your response

Ray
04-05-2011, 08:05 PM
I was 17 during the 08 elections and completely ignorant of political issues. I never would have imagined myself making a political donation, but I saw the light about a year ago and started learning about Ron. Next thing I know, I have donated over $100 and am starting a YAL chapter at my University.

trey4sports
04-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Yes, i'm sure a lot of the 18-24 crowd has matured somewhat and are now ready to stop being armchair quarterbacks and do some work in '12

RPIdeaMan08
04-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Yes, i'm sure a lot of the 18-24 crowd has matured somewhat and are now ready to stop being armchair quarterbacks and do some work in '12

Lol what is an Armchair quarterback

acptulsa
04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
I may stop attending community college to walk door to door in Orlando.

Please rethink this one. Those Baby Boomers, which I not so lovingly know as the reality-challenged yet headstrong contemporaries of my elder siblings, are going to die off and leave this nation in a hell of a mess. There will be a lot of rebuilding for us to do. And if you can be ready to provide specialized and meaningful help with that, that would be good.

Maybe I should set up classes in how to schmooze older voters. Find out what a Packard (no, not a Hewlett Packard, a Packard luxury automobile) is, learn how to hum Take the A Train, and get your Thomas Jefferson quotes down cold. These things will help immensely.

Another good tune to hum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rifhroClGI

And listen. They'll listen better if you listen first, so take the time to suffer a while delighting in their company. They'll spread the word better, too, if you do. And you never know when they'll tell you a great tale. I've heard firsthand accounts of a voyage in a covered wagon in my day. Sorry you won't get one of those...

R3volutionJedi
04-05-2011, 08:34 PM
I will be 18 for one month before November 6 2012

RPIdeaMan08
04-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I was 17 during the 08 elections and completely ignorant of political issues. I never would have imagined myself making a political donation, but I saw the light about a year ago and started learning about Ron. Next thing I know, I have donated over $100 and am starting a YAL chapter at my University.

A YAL chapter is a great idea, how have I never thought of that.. thanks for the inadvertently giving me an idea ( and your support); good luck in Minnesota.

I will be 18 for one month before November 6 2012

Lucky man, not being able to vote was part of what made me less motivated last presidential cycle.

Matt Collins
04-05-2011, 08:47 PM
I am in the Orlando area too. Add me on FaceBook and send me a note of who you are.

But yes, there are hundreds of thousands, if not a million or more "dormant" Ron Paul supporters out there. And then there is the fresh meat that wasn't involved in Ron's '08 campaign but have only learned about him afterwords.

Sola_Fide
04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Did you mean "dormant" or "doormat"? :)

MelissaWV
04-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Yes, there are.

Phabian
04-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I supported Romney in '08, but thank AquaBuddha I wasn't old enough to vote. I got into Ron Paul just last year and I've been trying to spread his message ever since.

IDefendThePlatform
04-05-2011, 09:21 PM
I supported Romney in '08, but thank AquaBuddha I wasn't old enough to vote. I got into Ron Paul just last year and I've been trying to spread his message ever since.

Great 4th post. Welcome to the forums.

I don't think AquaBuddha gets thanked nearly enough around here. :)

Son of Detroit
04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
I was 14 back in 2007, unable to do much. This time I'll be able to vote in addition to being on a college campus which has a nice libertarian population. I'm excited.

RPIdeaMan08
04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Please rethink this one. Those Baby Boomers, which I not so lovingly know as the reality-challenged yet headstrong contemporaries of my elder siblings, are going to die off and leave this nation in a hell of a mess. There will be a lot of rebuilding for us to do. And if you can be ready to provide specialized and meaningful help with that, that would be good.

It's just and Idea I used to emphasize how committed I am this election. Now worries, If I go door to door it will not be unprepared. thanks though and the classes are a good idea.

Did you mean "dormant" or "doormat"? :)

Dormant

And Orlando, I'm working on it after this.

phesoge
04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I was certainly dormant in the last election. Certainly was one those horrific "arm chair quarterbacks".

PineGroveDave
04-05-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm 51 and my wife is 47. We both supported RP back in 08 and donated around $600 dollars to his campaign. Much to my chagrin in the last election, his campaign was run by a bunch of imbeciles. Hopefully he and his staff have learned a thing or two from that. If not, his campaign, once again, is doomed. I still support the man and if he announces, I will vote for him. Whether I donate monies to him remains to be seen as I will not give money to be spent by a bunch of rank amateurs that think all they have to do is spread the "reLOVEtion". Politics is dirty business and it's not going to change unless we get him into office or we have a REAL revolution. Wake up people and get serious.

LibertyMage
04-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Go here and reach out to Mark or John. They are great guys. There are tons of like minded people in Florida.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/usa/FL/

Tim724
04-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Not sure how much new support there will be due to young people getting older, however I do feel like if RP runs again there will be a huge surge in support that will far surpass '08.

'08 was exciting, but I think there was a underlying realization that we are underdogs just trying to make as much of a splash as possible, but knowing we won't make it all the way. As impressive as the grassroots was in '08, kindof knowing we can't really win along with all the media bias prevented the movement from reaching its full potential.

Here is why I think 2012 will be huge:

1. The experience from '08 and the ability to have a "second chance" perhaps righting some wrongs I think will encourage the folks from '08 to go ALL OUT. Personally, I feel like I did alot and gave a lot in '08 (gave over $1K to the campaign, while making less than $50K that year) and I feel like I am chomping at the bit to get involved and donate again.

2. All the abominations the government has committed since 2008 just gives more anger-fuel to run on. The negative effects of the terrible Bush/Obama policies are being felt a lot more now as the economy deteriorates which makes everyone ever more motivated to effect change.

3. RP has gained ENORMOUS GRAVITAS since '08. It will be impossible for the media to marginalize him again. He has been all over mainstream media for last couple years and is respected. The MSM sure didn't want to accept him, but they had to.

4. The economic and political conditions are much more conducive to the message. The whole Tea Party thing has shifting things in our favor. Republicans talking serious about downsizing the government is in vogue and it is no longer a faux pas amongst mainstream conservatives to critize war (now that Obama owns them).

I would like to add that I personally disdain most of the MSM and think garnering their respect is not typically a worthwhile endeavor. And, I think opposing war for the imbecile reasons (for political points) represents massive moral decay. So, while perhaps not fertile for the right reasons, I think having fertile ground for RP's very moral message is great thing regardless of the reasons. Politics is grubby and you gotta take what you can get.

Regarding the earlier post about the 2008 campaign being unorganized and amatuer-ish, I have heard this comment alot but don't know exactly what it is referring to. The only possibly concrete thing I remember from 2008 was something about an Excel spreadsheet of voter information getting corrupted which may have hindered our turnout in one of the key primaries. I am not necessariy defending the 2008 campaign as it does seem like they should have been able to do more with all that money. However, I constantly hear this accusation of the 2008 campaign being poorly run without specifics. I think it would be more helpful if these people who are so down on the 2008 campaign to state what they think should and should not be done next time.

That said, 2008 is now water under the bridge and I do think there is reason to be hopeful that a 2012 campaign will be run more seriously. RP and his crew now know that they can raise significant money and have significant support in their pockets so you would think they would get very serious about hiring some very professional help to make the campaign top notch. RP has been quite tireless with TV appearances lately...that is a very good start in terms of having an approach of seizing every opportunity.

Trigonx
04-06-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm somewhat just like you, except I did donate quite a bit during the 2008 election. But, I didn't really do any campaigning or attend meet-ups. I basically just donated, educated myself, and was active on the online community. This time around I am going to make it my goal to go to meet-ups, campaign, and MAX OUT(did about $1000 last time while making roughly 10-12k that year part-time).

JamesButabi
04-06-2011, 09:15 AM
I was a "dormant" 2008 supporter. Found out too little too late to make an impact. Ive converted hundreds since that time.

gls
04-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I'll admit I didn't work as hard as I could for Ron in 2008 since it was obvious he wasn't in it to win it, and my free time/money is too limited to spend a lot of it promoting an "educational campaign". However if he is serious this time I will go all out.

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Well, I gave money, but I live in California and didn't find out about him until the money bombs. I had heard people say on another forum that I might like him, and was thinking of looking into him, and when I heard the Nov 5 money bomb was going on, I gave some money (I despised McCain and thought Romney was a fraud but figured he'd win the nomination and I'd end up voting for him in the general.) I then started to look into him (yeah, I know, kind of backwards, but I had heard some good things said about him and Ron Paul supporters seemed so cute and idealistic when they had a money bomb going....and I'm a sucker for the Constitution...) ....anyhow, I learned I'd probably vote for him and gave more at the December money bomb, but had heard stuff said that was bad about him too, and hadn't really satisfied myself. Finally, I took the time to go right to the worst issue (newsletters) to find that it popped like a soap bubble when you look into it, and looking into it sold me on the man. Unfortunately, at that point the primaries were on us, and I could vote but wasn't a part of anything else. I donated to high tide and to some delegate efforts, but when I tried to sign up at Daily Paul there was a problem and I couldn't get on, and I didn't know how to navigate this sort of a message board, so I didn't even try here.

But I lurked, and tracked Ron, and joined Campaign for Liberty, and emailed and called senators when an issue was up... and donated to Ron's son's Senate campaign.... then in about March of last year, after Ron won CPAC, it caught my attention again, I could see things gearing up for another potential run, and I wanted a more active part. So I signed up here and at DP (this time it worked.)

Are there others?

Recently someone ran a poll here about when did people find out about Ron, in 1988, between 1988 and 2008, because of 2008 or afterwards, and two thirds, easy, hadn't heard of Ron until during or after the 2008 campaign.

We are starting with a very different sized base.

fade
04-06-2011, 10:16 AM
I was a sophomore in college during the last election. I was involved, but not a ton. I went to a few meetup groups, donated a bit - but really got involved when I went to IOWA with the Ron Paul Christmas Vacation people. Since the last election was over I haven't hardly been on here or been as interested. Now that things are coming around and Ron may run again - my interest is peaked. I have a feeling a lot of people will be getting back into it rather quickly - and our grassroots numbers will more than double this time around.

Maximus
04-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I voted for Romney (gasp!) in the primaries, and saw the light a couple months after that vote.

Matt Collins
04-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Go here and reach out to Mark or John. They are great guys. There are tons of like minded people in Florida.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/usa/FL/
Yes I agree. Mark and John are indeed great guys.

Matt Collins
04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I'll admit I didn't work as hard as I could for Ron in 2008 since it was obvious he wasn't in it to win it, and my free time/money is too limited to spend a lot of it promoting an "educational campaign". However if he is serious this time I will go all out.Ron didn't have electoral victory last election, but he was still the winner of 2008. Winning is not always the same as electoral victory.

Matt Collins
04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm 51 and my wife is 47. We both supported RP back in 08 and donated around $600 dollars to his campaign. Much to my chagrin in the last election, his campaign was run by a bunch of imbeciles. Hopefully he and his staff have learned a thing or two from that. If not, his campaign, once again, is doomed. I still support the man and if he announces, I will vote for him. Whether I donate monies to him remains to be seen as I will not give money to be spent by a bunch of rank amateurs that think all they have to do is spread the "reLOVEtion". .Yes, things have changed drastically since then.

Cowlesy
04-06-2011, 01:06 PM
This thread gives me hope.

Nautargos
04-06-2011, 05:20 PM
I turned 18 just recently, and I'm even more passionate about the campaign than I was the first time around. Now I actually have some money and a more refined philosophy.

Being able to drive helps too, heh.

anaconda
04-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Maybe I should set up classes in how to schmooze older voters. Find out what a Packard (no, not a Hewlett Packard, a Packard luxury automobile) is, learn how to hum Take the A Train, and get your Thomas Jefferson quotes down cold. These things will help immensely.

Another good tune to hum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rifhroClGI

And listen. They'll listen better if you listen first, so take the time to suffer a while delighting in their company. They'll spread the word better, too, if you do. And you never know when they'll tell you a great tale. I've heard firsthand accounts of a voyage in a covered wagon in my day. Sorry you won't get one of those...

Take The A Train music and Packard automobiles are the boomers parents generation. The boomers are Rock and Roll and Toyotas. Actually, many younger boomers were part of the 80's alternative scene.

libertybrewcity
04-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I wanted to be active in politics since before I was 16, but the Republican Party never reached out to the grassroots or youth. I had so much free time that I could have gone door to door everyday after school and canvassed for candidates for years. I tried emailing the local Republican party, but they never got back to me. I think RP can have a whole other army of volunteers if they reach out the young people and get them off the computer and outside. I'm all in for RP this time, money and all.

Yes, things have changed drastically since then.

Like what?!

RonPaulwillWin
04-07-2011, 03:12 AM
chicken butt

thehighwaymanq
04-07-2011, 05:07 AM
I've said it before, but I think this election will be won by the youth. So many young people, including me, we're either to young to vote or thought they couldn't do what they wanted. This time it will be totally different. That entire 13-20 year old group is now 16-23 and are much more educated, informed, and prepared for the revolution.

If we do not support Students for Liberty and Young Americans for Liberty we will not win this election. We need to start running those college campuses, teaching people earlier, and have dozens and dozens of RP events led by those organizations in towns near to their schools.

Matt Collins
04-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Like what?!
Well his staff is different and experienced now. There are professionals on the team who have won elections. And now he expects what will happen. And we already have a network in place.

ForLibertyFight
04-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I was only 15 when I discovered the message of liberty through Ron Paul.
I did the best I could at that age, I put up signs, bumper stickers on my parent's car and tried talking to my teachers and neighbors about him despite my limited political knowledge.

3 years later, I feel much more educated and confident that I can eloquently persuade those around me to the message of liberty.
Also, I plan on starting a YAL chapter at my community college and volunteering by going door-to-door.
Already I have been talking to my peers, teachers and random people about Ron Paul and I can see that they are receptive to him.

I made a Ron Paul stamp that reads:
Disappointed in Obama?
Want Real Change & Hope?
Youtube:Ron Paul.

So far I've stamped at least 200 bills and I've only had the stamp for 3 days :)
I plan on keep stamping away and continue to spread the message.

And for those who are like me, continue fighting for liberty and for our future.

PineGroveDave
04-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Well his staff is different and experienced now. There are professionals on the team who have won elections. And now he expects what will happen. And we already have a network in place.

Well, I'll remain "cautiously optimistic" and see what happens. The man already has my vote if he announces, but as with his last campaign I grew increasingly frustrated when most people felt that all was needed to win was to "spread the word" and they will come flocking. My wife and I not only donated, but we attended meetups (which we abruptly stopped as we couldn't take all the conspiracy theory folks that were all over the place.). If RP is to appeal to mainstream America, he needs to be "marketed" for mainstream America...and that is what wins elections folks.

Rocco
04-07-2011, 02:49 PM
I was 16 in 2008 and was sort of starting to come around to Ron Pauls ideas, though didnt fully embrace him until after the primary was over. I was very dormant, half because my ideological world was being turned upside down and half because I wasnt sure about Dr Paul just yet. Now I plan on making up for some lost time! RP2012! :)

I have been supporting Ron Paul ever since I saw him in the first debate in 2007. I was aghast by how much information on him there was out there and what happened next in his campaign we all know was unbelievable. Ever since then I began educated myself then. Since I have yet to go to a meetup (I plan to attend April 19th) and I made my first donation last month. This is partly because I was 17 during the election in 2008 and couldn't vote but mainly because I was immature. This year will be different. I may stop attending community college to walk door to door in Orlando. I think just being young will help my case, specifically for older people (which my community is ripe with). Now I can't help but wonder... Is there anyone else like me? Anyone who was either to young or lethargic to commit in 08' but this year is dieing to make an impact. I yield the rest of my time for your response

Matt Collins
04-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Well, I'll remain "cautiously optimistic" and see what happens. The man already has my vote if he announces, but as with his last campaign I grew increasingly frustrated when most people felt that all was needed to win was to "spread the word" and they will come flocking. My wife and I not only donated, but we attended meetups (which we abruptly stopped as we couldn't take all the conspiracy theory folks that were all over the place.). If RP is to appeal to mainstream America, he needs to be "marketed" for mainstream America...and that is what wins elections folks.Well the conspiracy types will be around and probably more active this time than last time. They are not always wrong, and many are good intentioned, but yes I feel your pain on that. We'll just have to learn to work together with everyone as I have done. :-)

I assure you that there will be serious improvement in this campaign from the last one. It'll be day and night. I know this for a FACT.

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Take The A Train music and Packard automobiles are the boomers parents generation. The boomers are Rock and Roll and Toyotas. Actually, many younger boomers were part of the 80's alternative scene.

He was talking about seniors. And while it takes a little work to get them past the notion that if they didn't see it on TV it must not be true, the seniors are the most receptive to our message and our principles. Much more, by and large and on average, than boomers.

They vote in greater percentages, too.

PineGroveDave
04-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I assure you that there will be serious improvement in this campaign from the last one. It'll be day and night. I know this for a FACT.
And if that's the case, I can, in return, assure you that my wife and I will once again donate a considerable amount of money (well...we think $600-$1000 considerable to give to a candidate) and may even consider becoming active (as we last hoped to be) in spreading the word by getting more actively involved. Thank you for your attention to my fears/issues Matt.

Johnnymac
04-07-2011, 10:06 PM
i was 17 in 08 too but i had been sitting in front of a computer for 3 years previous researching government corruptness and such so i was pretty educated when i decided i wanted to look into the 08 elections and thats when i zeroed in on ron paul!

Kregisen
04-07-2011, 10:15 PM
I was also 17 in 2008 and will be voting for president for the first time in 2012.

Legend1104
04-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Ditto to this for me as well. I did not support Ron Paul until after the election.

RPIdeaMan08
04-09-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm very proud of how the tread is doing, defiantly gives me hope. Are there any signs as to how the campaign will be run this time around?

DeadheadForPaul
04-09-2011, 03:14 PM
. I may stop attending community college to walk door to door in Orlando.

First, I'm very excited that young people are still fired up by Dr. Paul. It's addicting to be an active member of the revolution

Second, Please don't make such a big decision regarding your life based on this race. You can still do door-to-doors during the weekend or breaks!

Matt Collins
04-09-2011, 03:24 PM
First, I'm very excited that young people are still fired up by Dr. Paul. It's addicting to be an active member of the revolution

Second, Please don't make such a big decision regarding your life based on this race. You can still do door-to-doors during the weekend or breaks!
I'm waiting 1 more year before I go to law school because of this race. Not only is it very important to me, but there is no way I'd be able to focus while this race were happening; I'd probably flunk out because I would be paying attention to the race and not to class.

R3volutionJedi
04-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I was 13 at the time of the primaries and blindly supported Huckabee (although, I do still respect him to a certain extent), and like Obama for awhile before finally supporting McCain. I liked Palin a lot. I began researching stuff in Feb of 2010 found out about Ron Paul through AJ and have supported him ever since. from Feb 2010 to now, I've slowly grown out of neo-con ideas and have a much better understanding of things. Now I'm 16, will be 18 one month before November 2012. and in my state, I will be able to vote in the primaries. This race is really important!

RPIdeaMan08
04-09-2011, 03:56 PM

FYI on page 2ish I refuted myself saying that I was using that to make a point, and it was an idea not final. After about a hours worth of thought I realized it may be a bad idea.. but thanks for showing support for a fellow liberty lover.

gerryb
04-10-2011, 11:45 AM
A few things I think everyone should do NOW. I've also just awakened from my dormancy and am getting excited about these things.

Join Campaign for Liberty as a Local Coordinator (costs $35 to become a dues paying member). You'll then have access to additional tools (not yet that great, but they have you answer a lot of questions about your district that you should find out/know)

Start organizing NOW. Get your local district maps, locate others in your area to work with, walk, call, organize. Join your local GOP and become a precinct leader.

If you're in a repub or district that flip flops, find a congressional candidate to support in the primaries. This is the low hanging fruit. You only need about 50k votes in a primary in most districts to get your guy on the ticket. Look up past election results.

Find local candidates to support for state and local offices.

Go to meetings your elected members are holding in you district. Bring a friend. Challenge/question them (On the FED, on Libya, whatever your issue is). Have your friend in another part of the room follow up if they dodge your challenge. Get it on youtube.

Watch the videos on C4L for strategy.

acptulsa
04-10-2011, 11:52 AM
...defiantly gives me hope..

I'm definitely defiant enough to maintain hope, too. :D

Come on, young folks who yearn to breathe free! Out of the woodwork! We're going to need more than five pages of you!

Nubraskan
04-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I voted for Paul in the '08 primaries, but wasn't a very fervent supporter (hence this being my first post in 3 years of membership). However, hearing about another possible run has gotten me excited. This time around I'll be much more active (should he run).

gerryb
04-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I voted for Paul in the '08 primaries, but wasn't a very fervent supporter (hence this being my first post in 3 years of membership). However, hearing about another possible run has gotten me excited. This time around I'll be much more active (should he run).

Get active whether or not someone runs for President you support. Congress and local/state politics are what matter most!

randolphfuller
04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Always remember that Hannibal was not able to get the elephants over the Alps the second time.

Tenbobnote
04-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Add one more to the list. I was somewhat supportive but I was young and irresponsible. Much different this time around, a person grows up a lot in the early 20's. The Mises Institute helped me understand Liberty (still have a ways to go however) and the manner in my character change can only be attributed to the abundant graces I have received.

Anti Federalist
04-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Well the conspiracy types will be around and probably more active this time than last time. They are not always wrong, and many are good intentioned, but yes I feel your pain on that. We'll just have to learn to work together with everyone as I have done. :-)

As a self professed and unashamed conspiracy theorist, I can +rep that.

PatriotOne
04-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Well the conspiracy types will be around and probably more active this time than last time. They are not always wrong.....

Whoa! Slippery slope, slippery slope. Your standing dangerously close to the edge of the precipice. Don't forget your headgear.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/Yekt40/th_imagesCASAKE6E.jpg (http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/Yekt40/?action=view&current=imagesCASAKE6E.jpg)

:D