PDA

View Full Version : Khalid Sheikh Mohammed to Face Military Tribunal (finally... maybe...)

Kludge
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
"WASHINGTON (AP) -- Yielding to political opposition, the Obama administration has decided to refer avowed 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four alleged henchmen to the system of military commissions for trial rather than to a civilian federal court in New York, a federal law enforcement official said Monday.

After months of delay, the administration finally backed off Attorney General Eric Holder's November 2009 announcement that the five would be tried in a courthouse just blocks from the World Trade Center site in downtown Manhattan that was attacked on Sept. 11, 2001. That announcement created intense political opposition among Republicans and ultimately even among some Democrats, particularly in New York.

The official said it will be up to the U.S. military to decide whether the island prison at Guantanamo Bay, where the five are held, will be the site for trial or whether the five will be tried together or separately.

..."

Full story @ http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TERRORISM_TRIAL?SITE=ALANN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

surf
04-04-2011, 12:38 PM
anyone else hear him say something to the effect of "this is an executive branch decision"? judicial?

i know Rs don't generally want a trial, but what a bunch of pussies.

vita3
04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Awesome that the military can hide the details of the trial from the public. score another one for the state~

Brett85
04-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I think this is the first thing Obama has done that I actually agree with him on.

Dr.3D
04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
What happened to the right to a speedy trial. How many years can a person sit in prison before they get a trial?

doodle
04-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Obama following Bush-Cheney footsteps all the way, in some cases as in escalation in Afghanistan and Libya blooshed, he is even moving ahead.

specsaregood
04-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Awesome that the military can hide the details of the trial from the public. score another one for the state~

thing is, if they had proceeded with this in civilian courts then they would have found a way to allow information gained from torture to be admitted into evidence. and that would have had repercussions for all americans.....just saying.

I for one am glad they will finally get a trial and I think a military court may even be more fair to the defendant.