PDA

View Full Version : 8th Grade Exam (Purported) From 1895.Would You Pass It?

S.Shorland
04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
http://people.moreheadstate.edu/fs/w.willis/eighthgrade.html

thehighwaymanq
04-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Would I pass it?

Absolutely not! Hahaha. What a difference compared to now

Kotin
04-04-2011, 01:48 PM
"the deliberate dumbing down of America"

Justinjj1
04-04-2011, 02:09 PM
http://www.snopes.com/language/document/1895exam.asp

BlackTerrel
04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
"the deliberate dumbing down of America"

I call bullshit. Memorizing useless information doesn't make you smart and most of us wouldn't be any better for knowing this sheise.

1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no modifications.

I'm happy to say I can't answer either of these. I'd like to see any of these kids from 1895 create iPhone apps for a living like I do

MelissaWV
04-04-2011, 08:43 PM
http://www.snopes.com/language/document/1895exam.asp

Thank you. This "exam" makes the rounds quite regularly.

Taking it as gospel, though, BlackTerrel is correct: our skills change. When your life revolves around your home and the surrounding farm land, you grow up differently than when your life holds no such life-or-death responsibility. Your knowledge changes. Most children in 1895 would not have known much about macroeconomics. They would not have known much about important cities around the world, and their understanding of foreign cultures would be limited largely to the most superficial and biased knowledge brought back to "civilization." They would not even have had access to knowledge about most medicines (though they might know some awesome home remedies), current modes of transportation, anatomy and physiology, chemistry, physics, a great deal of literature and art, movies and music, genetic disorders....

Many of us know a lot of basics about the above --- or even beyond the basics --- but we're to feel dumb because we don't know these alleged superior grammar rules?

Consider the sentence:

Define Case, Illustrate each Case.

This exam is supposedly testing our knowledge of when to use capital letters, too. Maybe this is a trick question? Will there be a section regarding commas later?

Hey, kiddo! That part on the exam about the US being discovered by Columbus? You might want to give that some careful reconsideration :D

There is an omission in one of the questions. "What are the elementary sounds? How classified?" does not please the modern ear, and I can't think that it would have pleased anyone's ear in 1895.

There are other issues with it, too, but you get the point.

madengr
04-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Harvard's entrance exam from 1869:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/education/harvardexam.pdf

I could pass the math now, no problem. Probably not straight out of HS though 20 years ago. Took 3 years of Latin and maybe could have passed that in 9th grade, but no longer since I don't recall a thing. Took about two weeks of Greek in 9th grade and went back to Latin. Greek is much harder; I would have flunked that.

GunnyFreedom
04-10-2011, 08:56 PM
I call bullshit. Memorizing useless information doesn't make you smart and most of us wouldn't be any better for knowing this sheise.

1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no modifications.

I'm happy to say I can't answer either of these. I'd like to see any of these kids from 1895 create iPhone apps for a living like I do

Dude, I'd give my right arm for an iPad app designed to interface with our intranet, electronic cosponsoring app, internet, and legislation database compiling ll the tools for a State Legislator in one iPhone/iPad app.

libertybrewcity
04-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Anyone can memorize information and regurgitate it back. Right now, I could explain relativity, optics, and ionic equilibrium in aqueous solutions, but that is only because I'm learning about it right. I'll probably forget it all in a year.