PDA

View Full Version : CPS Workers Consider Quitting, Cite Safety/Jail Risks.

Kludge
04-04-2011, 06:35 AM
"NEW YORK (AP) -- When child welfare worker Kelly Mares investigates an abuse case, she doesn't know what's going to greet her on the other side of the door. A ferocious dog. Or a gun. Or a meth lab, or angry parents who lash out violently.

She takes those risks willingly, she says, because she believes in protecting the city's most vulnerable. But she's not willing to risk going to jail. After two of her co-workers were charged with criminally negligent homicide in the death of a 4-year-old Brooklyn girl under their care, she's rethinking her career.

"I do not want to go to work every day afraid that I'm going to be arrested for doing my job, and right now that's how everybody feels and it's really scary," she said, her voice cracking.

Workers at child welfare agencies around the country tell similar stories of taxing, emotional and frustrating jobs that are low in pay and high in stress because of hostile families, tight budgets and overburdened court systems. Workers juggle several cases, make as little as $28,000 a year and usually burn out after a couple of years.

In Brooklyn, an investigator and supervisor for the New York City Administration for Children's Services are arguing they were too busy to record their work in the case of Marchella Pierce, who died after being beaten, drugged and starved to 18 pounds, about half of what a child her age should weigh. If and when they go to trial, a central issue will be whether city workers who fall down on the job should be held criminally responsible - and the outcome could set a precedent for how failures are handled in the future.

Critics liken the practice to arresting a police officer for not getting to the scene of a crime fast enough.

..."

Full story @ http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHILD_WELFARE_BURNOUT?SITE=RIPAW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

aGameOfThrones
04-04-2011, 07:33 AM
During the early morning hours of March 16, 1975 two men (Marvin Kent and James Morse) broke into a house occupied by three women in Washington DC. They found Mrs. Miriam Douglas and her four year old daughter asleep, at which point "...The men entered Douglas' second floor room, where Kent forcer Douglas to sodomize him and Morse raped her." (Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1, 4 (D.C. 1981)) This happened in front of her daughter.

The two other women in the house, Carrolyn Warren and Joan Taliaferro, heard Douglas' screams and called the police. Within 3 minutes four squad cars were dispatched to the house, but the call was radioed out as a "Code 2," a lower priority call than the "Code 1" usually used for crimes in progress.

Warren and Taliaferro crawled out a window onto an adjoining roof and waited for the police to show up. When the police arrived, they knocked on the front door, received no response, and just left.

The two women crawled back in through the window and called the police AGAIN. The call was logged as "investigate the trouble," but no officers were dispatched.

The men then kidnapped all three women. They forced the women at knifepoint to go to Kent's apartment where "...For the next fourteen hours the women were held captive, raped, robbed, beaten, forced to commit sexual acts upon each other, and made to submit to the sexual demands of Kent and Morse." (Id.)

The three victims sued DC and the officers involved for negligently failing to provide adequate police protection, but their case was dismissed. No jury ever heard any of the evidence.

The court stated that "official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for failure to provide adequate police protection." According to the court, this rule "rests upon the fundamental principle that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." (Id. emphasis added)

The Supreme Court itself ruled that one has no constitutional right to state protection in DeShaney v. Winnebego County Dep't. of Soc. Servs., 489 U.S. 189, 109 S. Ct. 998, 103 L. Ed. 2d 249 (1989). Every jurisdiction in the country has upheld similar rulings. It's part of the "qualified immunity" that government claims for itself. It's one of the most well-settled issues in American Jurisprudence.

Government, AT ANY LEVEL, has no positive duty to protect your life, liberty, or property. They tell you flat out, if you bother to look, that this is the case.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?228509-The-Myth-of-Police-Protection&highlight=police+protection

moostraks
04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Jail risks my foot, they have immunity from prosecution in most areas. Most intake workers are some of the most vicious, lying, manipulative people I have ever met. They are rewarded with bonuses and career advancement for seizing children and will manipulate and manufacture "facts" to support their "case". This article is pure propaganda for more police powers without repercussions "for the child's sake".

pcosmar
04-04-2011, 10:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1HjVU-UIQU

She was murdered.
This is nationwide.

:mad:

Vessol
04-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Just like how Drug Prohibition and Gun Regulation fails, trying to prevent violence through the use of violence very rarely works.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
04-04-2011, 10:45 AM
poor little government thug... I think I might cry knowing that she faces the risk of criminal charges for having children she stole die under her supervision. Awwwwww

I guess everyone will start feeling bad for these monsters now and patting them on the back for their "brave service"...

Vessol
04-04-2011, 10:47 AM
poor little government thug... I think I might cry knowing that she faces the risk of criminal charges for having children she stole die under her supervision. Awwwwww

I guess everyone will start feeling bad for these monsters now and patting them on the back for their "brave service"...

CPS is nothing more than an agency of Federally-mandated child kidnappers who exploit a valid concern of society, that of abusive families.

Like I said before, using violence to prevent violence is idiotic and will only serve to create more violence eventually.

acptulsa
04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
What? The State doesn't care as much about abused children as their more distant relatives, yet those relatives have their right to intervene curtailed in favor of the State? And now those more distant relatives are seeking redress of grievances, and the impotently overworked 'boots on the ground' are upset that their superiors are leaving them to try the age old fail, 'I was just following orders'?

Where were all the intelligent people when they should have been warning us about this? Oh, yeah, we belittled them and called them 'Paultards'.

Philhelm
04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Kelly's tears taste like sunshine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzhYNcd4OM