PDA

View Full Version : Paul: Pawlenty’s primary problem

sailingaway
04-03-2011, 09:43 PM
http://www.mndaily.com/2011/04/04/paul-pawlenty%E2%80%99s-primary-problem

Following the establishment of Tim Pawlenty’s 2012 presidential exploratory committee, political pundits rightly pointed out the profile disparity that separates T-Paw from more familiar GOP prospects. However, while panelists routinely pit Pawlenty against household favorites Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich, such analysis overlooks the biggest potential obstacle facing the former Minnesota governor: 12-term Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas.

Though Paul has yet to officially announce a 2012 run, his steady rise in popularity proves that the libertarian-leaning conservative from Lake Jackson could be a legitimate contender throughout the Republican primaries. ...

more at link

Matt Collins
04-03-2011, 09:55 PM
From the rest of the article:

Though Paul has yet to officially announce a 2012 run, his steady rise in popularity proves that the libertarian-leaning conservative from Lake Jackson could be a legitimate contender throughout the Republican primaries.

Thanks in part to the grassroots efforts of his nonprofit lobbyist organization, the Campaign for Liberty, Paul added $3 million to his political war chest in the first quarter of 2011 alone — greatly surpassing Romney’s $1.9 million haul.

What’s more, the announcement of Paul’s blue ribbon finish at this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference ignited the crowd into a bifurcated frenzy. The resulting rift between Paul’s supporters and those backing establishment candidates suggests that the old guard rank-and-file may well be facing another Barry Goldwater-style conservative crusade.

While many are quick to challenge Paul’s electability, his vocal opposition to the Federal Reserve, the IRS and nearly every department of the federal government has drawn support from across the political spectrum. A function of recent success, Paul has transformed from a one-time Republican dark horse into a finely tuned, 75-year old thoroughbred.

As Pawlenty begins sizing up the field of contenders jockeying for the highly coveted 2012 republican nomination, he would do well to recognize the threat posed by the libertarian from Lake Jackson. A decision to overlook Paul in the race to Washington could leave Pawlenty scratching his head at home in St. Paul come 2012.

IDefendThePlatform
04-03-2011, 09:58 PM
New campaign slogan:

Ron Paul
"A finely tuned, 75 year old thoroughbred."

Awesome.

t0rnado
04-03-2011, 10:05 PM
We pulled about 16% of the vote in the caucuses last time. We're taking Minnesota this time around.

Ray
04-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the link, I met the author yesterday; he is going to be a big help in our YAL chapter at the University of Minnesota :)

Matt Collins
04-03-2011, 10:30 PM
It's nice that they are actually scared of us now.

sailingaway
04-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the link, I met the author yesterday; he is going to be a big help in our YAL chapter at the University of Minnesota :)

Kewl!

ctiger2
04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Amazing to me that people think Pawlenty even has any chance. After 2008 I knew they'd all sound similar to Paul.

Invi
04-04-2011, 09:11 AM
A function of recent success, Paul has transformed from a one-time Republican dark horse into a finely tuned, 75-year old thoroughbred.

I could have done without the image of a 75-year old thoroughbred. lol.
They should be scared. A politician with integrity is a dangerous thing.

eduardo89
04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Great article. Very true too, Ron has a great chance and his popularity can only grow.