PDA

View Full Version : Republicans propose $4 trillion in cuts

tangent4ronpaul
04-03-2011, 08:32 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_17765581?nclick_check=1

WASHINGTON -- House Republicans this week are planning to propose a steep reduction of more than $4 trillion in federal spending over the next decade by reshaping popular programs like Medicare, the party's budget chairman said Sunday, opening a new front in the intensifying budget wars.

Appearing on the TV program "Fox News Sunday," Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., who heads the budget panel, also said Republicans would call for strict caps on all government spending that would require cuts to take effect whenever Congress exceeds its limit.

"We are going to put out a plan that gets our debt on downward trajectory and gets us to a point of giving our next generation a debt-free nation," Ryan said, even as he predicted that the politically charged initiatives he intends to lay out in the 2012 budget beginning Tuesday would give Democrats a "political weapon to go against us. But they will have to lie and demagogue to make that a political weapon."

Fox McCloud
04-03-2011, 08:38 PM
$400 billion a year reduction in the deficit....it's "ok", at best.

squarepusher
04-03-2011, 08:40 PM
no, this is 20 Trillion over 50 years

dbill27
04-03-2011, 08:50 PM
We should have at least 2 trillion cuts in the 2011 budget alone. I mean seriously.

Inkblots
04-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Well, it's a step in the right direction, in any case.

tangent4ronpaul
04-03-2011, 08:57 PM
If this is going to work, we are going to have to take Obama's aircraft carriers and stealth bombers away.

A good start would be a rule that no federal budget can be larger than the previous years and stopping Bernanke from managing a 2% a year inflation rate.

sailingaway
04-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Well, it's a step in the right direction, in any case.

Is it? I mean does it reduce actual spending or just lessen the amount spending went/goes up, counting from 2008?

tangent4ronpaul
04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Is it? I mean does it reduce actual spending or just lessen the amount spending went/goes up, counting from 2008?

Yeah - we need something in there that pays off the debt every year too, as part of this.

QueenB4Liberty
04-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah it is a good start.

AZKing
04-03-2011, 09:41 PM
It's all smoke and mirrors. This is just a cap on Obama's 10-year spending plan, which isn't even set in stone.

Very little is actually cut.

Zippyjuan
04-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Yeah - we need something in there that pays off the debt every year too, as part of this.

You have to run a budget surplus to do that- take in more in taxes than you spend.

Ray
04-03-2011, 10:45 PM
It's sad that most Americans won't divide by 10 and realize that this is 20% smaller than Rand's proposed cuts

Chester Copperpot
04-03-2011, 10:53 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_17765581?nclick_check=1

WASHINGTON -- House Republicans this week are planning to propose a steep reduction of more than $4 trillion in federal spending over the next decade by reshaping popular programs like Medicare, the party's budget chairman said Sunday, opening a new front in the intensifying budget wars.

Appearing on the TV program "Fox News Sunday," Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., who heads the budget panel, also said Republicans would call for strict caps on all government spending that would require cuts to take effect whenever Congress exceeds its limit.

"We are going to put out a plan that gets our debt on downward trajectory and gets us to a point of giving our next generation a debt-free nation," Ryan said, even as he predicted that the politically charged initiatives he intends to lay out in the 2012 budget beginning Tuesday would give Democrats a "political weapon to go against us. But they will have to lie and demagogue to make that a political weapon."

This will never happen.. This is like the old Graham bill... this stuff will just get ignored..

CUT NOW..

CUT OUT THE BULLSHIT CONGRESS..

CUT $2 TRILLION THIS YEAR ALONE.

sratiug
04-03-2011, 11:10 PM
You have to run a budget surplus to do that- take in more in taxes than you spend.

That's not true. We could just print the money and pay off the debt.

freshjiva
04-04-2011, 01:12 AM
I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, in the entire Congress, including both Ron and Rand Paul, to start putting more focus towards pro-growth measures rather than being fixated on the federal debt and cutting spending.

The 2012 Presidential candidate that centers their campaign on tax cuts and repealing excess regulations that hinder capital investments (I.e. Sarbanes-Oxley, Dodd-Frank, Obamacare, FDA, EPA, and others) will win the nomination.

You heard it here first.

tangent4ronpaul
04-04-2011, 01:56 AM
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/04/04/1611809/gop-plans-major-changes.html

House Republicans’ 2012 federal budget proposal will include significant changes to Medicare, shift control of Medicaid to the states and aim to chop more than $4 trillion from the deficit over the next decade,

I assume that means shift the COST of Medicaid to the states.
Note the use of the word deficit rather than debt.

the overall spending reductions would come to “a lot more” than $4 trillion. The debt commission appointed by President Barack Obama recommended a plan that it said would achieve nearly $4 trillion in deficit reduction.

Ryan said Obama’s call for freezing nondefense discretionary spending actually locks in spending at high levels. Under the forthcoming GOP plan, Ryan said, spending would return to 2008 levels and thus cut an additional $400 billion over 10 years.

I think spending has gone up a tad more than 400 Billion since 2008
Yeah 400 Billion less spending over 10 years, not 4 Trillion. I thought so... :rolleyes:

Ryan acknowledged that the “premium support system” would shift more costs to Medicare recipients,

Ryan disputed reports that the plan would seek savings of $1 trillion over 10 years from Medicaid,

Is he trying to give the House to the Dems in 2012?

A statutory cap on actual discretionary spending as a percentage of the economy. While Ryan did not specify the amount during the interview, he said it would be at a lower level than proposed by Obama and would return the government to its “historic size.”

Huge and bloated?

Tax changes, including lower rates and broadening the base. Ryan said overhauling taxes would boost the economy. The plan will not propose tax increases.

Good, I think.
"broadening the base" - isn''t a new tax a tax increase?

This isn't sounding that good. 400 Billion over 10 years? That's 40 Billion a year. Wasn't the other proposal 60 Billion this year? And not a single penny going to pay off the debt!

Typical politician double speak!

-t

tangent4ronpaul
04-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Federal budget:

2012 - $3.7T (Obama)
2011 - $3.8T <==
2010 - $3.6T
2009 - $3.1T
2008 - $2.9T <==
2007 - $2.8T
2006 - $2.7T
2005 - $2.4T
2004 - $2.3T
2003 - $2.2T
2002 - $2.0T
2001 - $1.9T <==
2000 - $1.8T

Lets see. Between 2001 and 2011 the federal budget had Doubled! A 100% increase. I think that's "slightly" above Bens 2% a year planned inflation ... :rolleyes:

Rolling back to 2008 spending, that should be a 9T savings if held there. But they are not planning to do that. Instead, they plan to spend through budget increases and additional $8,600,000,000 over 10 years and save us a measly 400 Billion - none of which will be used to pay off the debt.

Are you :mad: yet? - I am!

Lets roll this pig back to 2001 levels and keep it there! If we did that and forced them to keep it there, this "2%" a year inflation would go away fast!

-t

PreDeadMan
04-04-2011, 06:37 AM
Why isn't anyone fuming about the fact that we are somehow responsible for a national debt? It's the government's fault of course.... stop stealing people's money it needs to go away asap!

Kludge
04-04-2011, 06:41 AM
Why isn't anyone fuming about the fact that we are somehow responsible for a national debt? It's the government's fault of course.... stop stealing people's money it needs to go away asap!
I was just considering making a thread on this subject until I read your post.

I couldn't even vote by the time the USG accumulated over $3T in hard debt, tens of trillions in unfunded liabilities, and a hostile regulatory environment. You want me to pay for that while receiving major cuts to current programs enjoyed by the voters who racked up the debt? Fuck that.

Yieu
04-04-2011, 06:59 AM
I read the thread title and thought "Are we to believe they are actually serious now?", thinking the cuts were all immediate, for this fiscal year.

Calling it $4 trillion is hype. They should tell us what it cuts per year only. Anything otherwise is deceptive. But then it suits their desires to be that way...

sevin
04-04-2011, 08:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0lzyUOjvFw

Koz
04-04-2011, 09:18 AM
This is not even a good start, but I will say for an establishment republican, which I think is what I would classify Paul Ryan as, this is unprecedented. In my thinking we need this times two or three.