PDA

View Full Version : How do you view Christmas?

Salamando
10-25-2007, 01:09 AM
I'm interested in seeing the responses to this question (poll is meant for Americans only)

beerista
10-25-2007, 01:21 AM
I could see how this might be both a Christian and a non-Christian holiday, but I'm pretty sure they celebrate it in other countries, so I don't know if I could call it an American holiday.

Salamando
10-25-2007, 01:24 AM
I could see how this might be both a Christian and a non-Christian holiday, but I'm pretty sure they celebrate it in other countries, so I don't know if I could call it an American holiday.

When I say American holiday, I don't mean its ONLY in America. I mean its like the 4th of July to an extent.

qsecofr
10-25-2007, 01:27 AM
I voted both, as an Atheist I've never found myself at odds with religion except on a few small details that are more philosophical then practical. Most Christians I know are either decent people or no worse then anyone else.

I enjoy the holidays because for me it's about family and celebrations are fun no matter which side of the fence you lean.

kimosabi
10-25-2007, 01:39 AM
Christmas is just Sun Worship...

Pete
10-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Oh, yeah, we light up a yule log, roast a boar, hang mistletoe, put up a tree and worhip the little red hearth god. :D Christmas is one crazy holiday!

I voted both, and am a Christian, btw.

constituent
10-25-2007, 05:33 AM
i hate christmas. i hate christmas cards. i hate the bad friggin' attitude everyone carries around for 2 and 1/2 months 'cuz they know they're maxing out their cards for ungrateful kids or whatever.

christmas is a banking holiday, it's a credit card holiday, it's an overdraftaday....

whatever, nothing good to say.

oh yea, so i abstained from voting in the poll.

LizF
10-25-2007, 07:59 AM
i hate christmas. i hate christmas cards. i hate the bad friggin' attitude everyone carries around for 2 and 1/2 months 'cuz they know they're maxing out their cards for ungrateful kids or whatever.

christmas is a banking holiday, it's a credit card holiday, it's an overdraftaday....

whatever, nothing good to say.

oh yea, so i abstained from voting in the poll.

This song's for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-He10OZ_E

pcosmar
10-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Wow, This could get involved..
I celebrate Christmas as a tradition. In that "tradition" I celebrate the birth of Christ.
In fact the date is not correct. Jesus Christ was born in mid summer.
The Christmas we celebrate is a mixture of Christian and pagan holidays. It was a way to incorporate the combine the beliefs of various people years ago.
I celebrate Dec.25 mostly out of tradition.
I am bothered by the over commercialization, but enjoy the exchange of gifts, and celebrating with family and friends.
Enjoy the season for whatever your reasons.

jmdrake
10-25-2007, 08:50 AM
There should be a 4th option. It's a hybrid holiday. Nowhere in the Bible does it say Jesus was born on the 25th of December. That day was picked as another way to placate pagans when Constantine usurped Christianity to use it to unite his empire. (He added a bunch of other non Christian trappings to Christianity). Still as a Christian I celebrate Christmas. If the rest of the world wants to recognize Jesus and/or* peace and goodwill on the 25th of December who am I to complain?

*Note: I put the "and/or" part in there for everyone that doesn't believe in Jesus but at least celebrates peace and goodwill.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Wendi
10-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Christmas was a Christian holiday, interestingly set on a date that was already celebrated as a Pagan holiday. Now, it is just another excuse for commercialization and debate because no one seems to remember what it's supposed to be about anyway.

Kregener
10-25-2007, 09:01 AM
I too celebrate the birth of Jesus on the "traditional" December 25th day set aside for it.

I also agree with the September time line for the actual birth of Jesus.

And yes, sadly, Christmas has become nothing but a retail holiday.

jmdrake
10-25-2007, 09:04 AM
I too celebrate the birth of Jesus on the "traditional" December 25th day set aside for it.

I also agree with the September time line for the actual birth of Jesus.

And yes, sadly, Christmas has become nothing but a retail holiday.

Ah. You must be aware of the Daniel 9 prophecy concerning the timeline of the Messiah. Many people aren't aware of this.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Chester Copperpot
10-25-2007, 09:06 AM
When I say American holiday, I don't mean its ONLY in America. I mean its like the 4th of July to an extent.

Well so much for reading this AFTER I already polled.

I voted the same Christian only, because its celebrated worldwide

Chester Copperpot
10-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Ah. You must be aware of the Daniel 9 prophecy concerning the timeline of the Messiah. Many people aren't aware of this.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Book of Daniel? I thought that was the prophecy for the first coming

reduen
10-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Christmas is a pagan holiday in which pagan rituals are practiced and therefore we do not celebrate it here at my house. We have come to celebrate Christ Day instead.

lucius
10-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Christmas is just Sun Worship...

Agreed, it is a co-opted pagan holiday, Hallmark et al shamelessly takes it too the bank as well. I try to be Christ-like.

I don't vote in these polls.

reduen
10-25-2007, 09:18 AM
The very name of Christmas implies that you are celebrating Christ's death perpetually and has nothing to do with the birth of Jesus Christ. (Look it up..)

Wendi
10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Book of Daniel? I thought that was the prophecy for the first comingIt's both. And all of the time in between. :D