PDA

View Full Version : IRA Terrorist Peter King Now Wants To Take America’s Amateur Radio Band

doodle
04-03-2011, 10:52 AM
This showed up in google news linked to suspected IRA car bomb attack that killed a Catholic police officer in Ireland yesterday ( LINK (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?286111-Car-bomb-kills-Ireland-Catholic-policeman-IRA-dissidents-blamed&p=3189905&viewfull=1#post3189905)), this better be satire as ham radio is as American as applie pie:

IRA Terrorist Peter King Now Wants To Take America’s Amateur Radio Band

From the ARRL amateur radio website:

H.R. 607 lists, among the bands to be reallocated for commercial auction within ten years of the passage of the Bill, the paired bands 420-440 MHz and 450-470 MHz.

The inclusion of most of the Amateur 70-cm spectrum as one of the replacement bands is a major problem. The 420-440 MHz band is not Public Safety spectrum and should not be included in any spectrum swap of Public Safety allocations.

While the ARRL and all Amateurs support the work of Public Safety and recognize their need for dedicated spectrum which would promote interoperability, the ARRL vigorously opposes HR 607 in its present form. HR 607 is a direct threat to our limited spectrum and the ARRL encourages all amateurs to appropriately voice their opposition to this bill.

LINK (http://wonkette.com/440404/ira-terrorist-peter-king-now-wants-to-take-americas-amateur-radio-frequencies)

Knightskye
04-03-2011, 11:08 AM
It's Wonkette. Sometimes they even have articles about Ron Paul. All of their stuff is satire.

doodle
04-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Whew.. so ham radio band is not at risk and this is just satire.

Dr.3D
04-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Whew.. so ham radio band is not at risk and this is just satire.

I can assure you, it is at risk and most of the 70cm band would be lost if that bill passes.

Anti Federalist
04-03-2011, 11:27 AM
It's Wonkette. Sometimes they even have articles about Ron Paul. All of their stuff is satire.

ARRL is a legit outfit and they are reporting on this.

And Peter King is a statist piece of shit that has never met a government prohibition or an increase of the police state that he didn't like, and he has supported the IRA in the past.

Wonkette douchebaggery notwithstanding.

FrankRep
04-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Ham radio operators concerned about losing band (http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2011-03-29-hamradio29_ST_N.htm)

USA Today

[Pete King] added that efforts are underway to address concerns of ham radio operators and others.

Rep. Billy Long, R-Mo., a co-sponsor of the bill, said he will work "to ensure that we are not cutting any vital emergency services and not adversely affecting ham radio operations."

AFPVet
04-03-2011, 01:19 PM
There are a lot of bands and side bands... no one should own bands. Delegate some bands for emergencies but radio bands should be free.

Dr.3D
04-03-2011, 01:33 PM
There are a lot of bands and side bands... no one should own bands. Delegate some bands for emergencies but radio bands should be free.

Ham Radio has had that part of the 70cm band for many years. I don't understand why the DHS suddenly feels the need to take part of it for their own use. There are other places they can put their public safety bands and not bother the Ham bands. I get the feeling they have some kind of plan that involves more than meets the eye here.

AFPVet
04-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Ham Radio has had that part of the 70cm band for many years. I don't understand why the DHS suddenly feels the need to take part of it for their own use. There are other places they can put their public safety bands and not bother the Ham bands. I get the feeling they have some kind of plan that involves more than meets the eye here.

It does sound like it. Why can't they use the existing emergency bands? Are they trying to gobble up radio bands so that the free people can't get airtime... only government 'emergency messages'? This will only cause people to make hillbilly repeaters for CB's lol.

Dr.3D
04-03-2011, 01:54 PM
It does sound like it. Why can't they use the existing emergency bands? Are they trying to gobble up radio bands so that the free people can't get airtime... only government 'emergency messages'? This will only cause people to make hillbilly repeaters for CB's lol.

It may backfire on them. There are tons of Hams that can jam those frequencies and I'm darned sure DHS wouldn't have the man power to do anything about it.