PDA

View Full Version : Census worker won't take no for answer

JacobG18
04-03-2011, 09:36 AM
The first few requests were tolerable. A Census Bureau worker would knock on John and Beverly Scott's door and ask them to fill out an American Community Survey. The McKinley Park couple would politely decline.

But as the days passed, the visits became more frequent and the requests more urgent.

Some evenings, the doorbell would ring at dinnertime, then again at 10 p.m.

"I'm generally a nice guy. I didn't want to shut the door in her face," John Scott said. "I said, 'I'm not going to answer your questions.' She kept saying, 'You've got to, you've got to.' I shut the door, and she kept ringing the doorbell and tapping on the window."

Check out our crossword, Sudoko and Jumble puzzles >>

It isn't that the Scotts are anti-government or are philosophically opposed to the census. The couple filled out their decennial form last year, answering every question.

But they're not too keen on the American Community Survey, a more in-depth, ongoing questionnaire the Census Bureau conducts to compile information on area demographics, consumer patterns and economic issues.

In particular, the Scotts did not want to answer questions they found too personal, such as inquiries about their income, when they left for work and their health.

"The new questionnaire has gone way over the line," Scott said. "We have told the representative that we are not going to answer private questions, but they continue to come to our door at all hours of the day and night."

Scott said the requests had become so repetitive and annoying, the couple began pulling the old "out-of-candy-on-Halloween trick."

"I work afternoons, and I'm not home," Scott said. "My wife has to sit with the lights off because she doesn't want to be bothered."

Often, even that doesn't work.

"They knock and knock and knock and ring and ring and ring," Beverly Scott said. "Knocking longer is not going to make me answer the door, and it's not going to help if we're not here."

The final straw, John Scott said, was when a Census Bureau employee told him he would be fined $2,000 if he did not fill out the 48-question survey.

Upset, he e-mailed What's Your Problem?

"If they come up with a fine, let's go to court. I don't care," he said. "I just want them to stop coming. That's my main focus. Leave me alone."

The Problem Solver called Jack Walsh, survey supervisor with the American Community Survey's Chicago regional office. Walsh said the survey is required by law and helps determine such things as the Consumer Price Index and how federal funding is allocated.

Although residents can be fined for not participating in the survey, he said that is not the government's goal.

"Those fines exist, but we instruct the field staff that their job is to try to obtain the information through pleasant means, by stressing the importance of the survey," Walsh said. "They're not law enforcement officers."

Walsh said the Scotts will not be fined if they choose not to participate in the survey.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/problemsolver/ct-biz-0401-problem-scott-20110401,0,2915699.column

aGameOfThrones
04-03-2011, 09:42 AM
I had 5 visits. Sadly, a family member, who's ignorant, threw all my "hard work" in the garbage because the last person that came was a "friend".

acptulsa
04-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Although residents can be fined for not participating, these residents won't. Because, of course, they did everything they were Constitutionally required to do and more during the first visit, and if these snots take the couple to court they'll get the case thrown out and maybe some restraining orders issued.

There's a law! We're scared to take it to court, but there's a law!

mczerone
04-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Whew, glad the article made sure to clarify up front that these people aren't "anti-government or philosophically opposed to the census." You know, because deciding that certain questions are too personal is fine, but deciding that the whole damned thing is too personal isn't.

In a sane world these census workers and the agency doing the gathering would be facing fines and restraining orders, but because someone wrote it down and voted on it, it became "the law". And that means something apparently, although in this case they aren't going to seek the fines, so it means nothing anyway.

Michael Landon
04-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I keep waiting for the day that they'll come to my house and demand that I answer their questions. Everytime they show up, I'm going to call the police and file a harassment report.

- ML

acptulsa
04-03-2011, 10:55 AM
A census worker showed up at my house. Since I had sent a form in, I considered that quite a waste. I explained that I wouldn't answer everything, and got my Constitution off the shelf. I answered what the Constitution says is needed to properly apportion Represenatives, and she told me to keep up the good work.

Haven't heard anything since. Don't mess with Oklahomans.

Keith and stuff
04-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Judging by some of the comments on here, it seems as some people may be unclear.

The 2010 Decennial Survey and the ongoing American Community Survey are not related.

acptulsa
04-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Judging by some of the comments on here, it seems as some people may be unclear.

The 2010 Decennial Survey and the ongoing American Community Survey are not related.

'Walsh said households are selected randomly, and the information provided is kept confidential. Information is gathered in three-month cycles, meaning the Scotts would have received their survey in the mail in January, gotten telephone follow-ups in February, then been visited at home by regional field staff in March.'

I see. And this crap is mandatory? In all of Illinois or just some of it?

I think not. The Scotts need to move here.

No wonder they're acting like the law won't hold up in court. No effin way.

Keith and stuff
04-03-2011, 07:44 PM
It is mandatory nationally. Some communities (local governments) choose to opt into it.

I do not know if it will hold up in court but as far as I know, no one has ever been prosecuted.