PDA

View Full Version : CNN: "Which Paul for President?"

TNforPaul45
04-02-2011, 05:24 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/02/which-paul-for-president/

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/04/02/t1larg.randp.gi.jpg

(CNN)- Republican Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul makes his first stop in Iowa on Saturday, home of the first-in-the-nation presidential caucus. Paul, son of two-time presidential candidate Ron Paul, will be holding two signing events for his book, "The Tea Party Goes to Washington," but remained vague on which Paul will run for president in 2012.
"We haven't talked about it that much," he told Radio Iowa, in an interview Saturday. "I've told people that the only decision I've made is that I wouldn't run against him."

. . .

The senator scoffed at potential criticism over his lack of experience, noting that it didn't hurt Obama and saying, "Lincoln was elected with two years experience as a congressman 15 years before he ran for president. Obama, I think, announced he was running 43 days into his term."

:) nice.

Sola_Fide
04-02-2011, 05:28 PM
This story has legs, gentlemen!

TNforPaul45
04-02-2011, 06:12 PM
It's happening. . .

acptulsa
04-02-2011, 06:17 PM
They tried to be silent about Ron Paul four years ago and we tore them a new credibility gap the likes of which they had always had but never had anyone notice before. And now look.

I congratulate us all.

I have heard, off and on, criticism about abrasiveness all along. I have come to the conclusion that a dull knife needs both a rough whetstone and a smooth whetstone before it can be sharp. Everyone keep up the good work.

eduardo89
04-02-2011, 06:20 PM
I'll take either of them as president, although it'd be awesome to have Ron win in 20122, then Rand serve two terms! Oh and then Mike Lee can have his go at it ;)

Freedom 4 all
04-02-2011, 06:33 PM
In a perfect world I'd go for Ron, but Rand would probably be just as good and, given the imperfect nature of the world we live in, he's a better candidate. First, because of his age and good looks he's a lot more electable, especially with females. Also, if TPTB try to assassinate him, it would be MUCH harder to make it look like natural causes.

MozoVote
04-02-2011, 06:39 PM
I wonder how that would play in KY for a newly elected senator to already be mulling over a presidential run.

For contrast, In N.C., John Edwards was not really all that popular when he ran only 4 years into his first term. There was a sense that he had not taken his senatorial duties seriously, and that he'd been a presidential-candidate-in-waiting all along.

Matt Collins
04-02-2011, 06:41 PM
The senator scoffed at potential criticism over his lack of experience, noting that it didn't hurt Obama and saying, "Lincoln was elected with two years experience as a congressman 15 years before he ran for president. Obama, I think, announced he was running 43 days into his term."

OUCH!

That paragraph hurt and literally made me cringe. Two of the worst Presidents in American history? I wouldn't want to follow in their footsteps.

BlackTerrel
04-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I'll take either of them as president, although it'd be awesome to have Ron win in 20122, then Rand serve two terms! Oh and then Mike Lee can have his go at it ;)

Both Pauls will probably not live that long.

Sola_Fide
04-02-2011, 06:43 PM
I wonder how that would play in KY for a newly elected senator to already be mulling over a presidential run.

For contrast, In N.C., John Edwards was not really all that popular when he ran only 4 years into his first term. There was a sense that he had not taken his senatorial duties seriously, and that he'd been a presidential-candidate-in-waiting all along.

There would be some of that sentiment here, for sure. But all in all, I think Rand would have a surreal level of support and activism from Kentuckians. Rand is getting really popular here...I think more people would miss that he wasn't a Kentucky senator than anything...

Stary Hickory
04-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Rand can win this thing, imagine Rand Paul as potus, if he has a GOP congress and senate....it's optimal in the near term for sure. They might get some serious cuts happening, maybe a little action against the FED and some movement towards a return to sounder money. A little progress in the right direction...real progress.

I just hope one of them wins.

Sola_Fide
04-02-2011, 06:44 PM
OUCH!

That paragraph hurt and literally made me cringe. Two of the worst Presidents in American history? I wouldn't want to follow in their footsteps.

Yeah, good point.

Stary Hickory
04-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Whoever the next POTUS is he will for sure have to deal with either currency going to hell or a recession due to severe interest rate hikes...although its been argued that interest rates dont mean much since the banks are sitting on so much reserves.

Sola_Fide
04-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Whoever the next POTUS is he will for sure have to deal with either currency going to hell or a recession due to severe interest rate hikes...although its been argued that interest rates dont mean much since the banks are sitting on so much reserves.

Thats a good point. Who in the hell WANTS to be president when all of this hits the fan?

acptulsa
04-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Thats a good point. Who in the hell WANTS to be president when all of this hits the fan?

Either some charismatic and cooperative kid who would never get offered the job otherwise and doesn't mind starting just one more war, or someone with a plan and a whole lot of love of country.

low preference guy
04-02-2011, 06:51 PM

there are two types of persons

1. an egomaniac like obama who doesn't care about such things as long as he gets to be president to play golf and hang out with celebrities
2. someone like ron paul who wants to use the opportunity to teach people and fix the country

TheTyke
04-02-2011, 06:51 PM

I went to a Republican meeting locally and even some of the Establishment folks were bubbling with excitement about Rand running. I don't think KY will react poorly - the people who voted for him will want him to maximize his influence, and the ones who voted against him would gripe about anything. :D

nayjevin
04-02-2011, 06:56 PM
I prefer battling the conception that the president in office when collapse hits is responsible for it than the alternative of having a bad president.

Stary Hickory
04-02-2011, 06:58 PM
there are two types of persons

1. an egomaniac like obama who doesn't care about such things as long as he gets to be president to play golf and hang out with celebrities
2. someone like ron paul who wants to use the opportunity to teach people and fix the country

The problem is that the ignorant masses will balme whoever the sitting potus is for either the inflationary nightmare or the recession as a result of stopping or slowing money supply growth. I think about this a lot, how to survive long enough to get legislation passed. You might have a window of 2-3 years. If the people wake up then maybe a lot longer. This is why I want a states rights POTUS in the whitehouse, get it undone and back on the states as fast as possible. You can stifle complaints from those desiring the social state by telling them to do it in their states if they want those programs.

Foreign policy will be changed by necessity. I think the GOP will reluctantly scale it back due to economic reality. But like I said we hae maybe 2-3 years to get this stuff done. And even if Rand or Ron become POTUS it is going to take all of us working very very hard to get things done at the state level and to support and make it all successful. We can't just sit back because "our" guy got in office, the presidency is too much for one man...they will need help.

MozoVote
04-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Rand certainly would bring more dynamism to the party than an old hat like Barbour or Santorum. The latter would strike people as another "Dole" or "McCain" type nominee. The tired insider "next in line" game again.

Heck, at least Bachmann or Palin would *excite* people.

Sola_Fide
04-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Congressman Ron Paul has not committed to a third bid for the Republican presidential nomination, but his son said, “I think that the signs I see of his travel and where he’s going and how much he has been going lead me to think he might be interested in running again…even if he does, I want to be part of the process in some way.”

What do you think that meant?

gerryb
04-02-2011, 11:42 PM
What do you think that meant?

Hopefully it means he is campaigning in key states with/for Ron. It will prep those states for Rands 2016 run...

libertarian4321
04-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Heck, at least Bachmann or Palin would *excite* people.

Only if they took their shirts off, and I don't see that happening.

LibertyRevolution
04-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Ron Paul has basically his dream job right now and SCOTUS just handed him a huge present.
I wouln't be mad if he didn't want to run and lose it all. I am glad Rand will step up to the plate for dad.

IDefendThePlatform
04-03-2011, 10:29 AM
The problem is that the ignorant masses will balme whoever the sitting potus is for either the inflationary nightmare or the recession as a result of stopping or slowing money supply growth. I think about this a lot, how to survive long enough to get legislation passed. You might have a window of 2-3 years. If the people wake up then maybe a lot longer. This is why I want a states rights POTUS in the whitehouse, get it undone and back on the states as fast as possible. You can stifle complaints from those desiring the social state by telling them to do it in their states if they want those programs.

Foreign policy will be changed by necessity. I think the GOP will reluctantly scale it back due to economic reality. But like I said we hae maybe 2-3 years to get this stuff done. And even if Rand or Ron become POTUS it is going to take all of us working very very hard to get things done at the state level and to support and make it all successful. We can't just sit back because "our" guy got in office, the presidency is too much for one man...they will need help.

Yeah I think it's critical that Ron or rand get their agenda enacted as quickly as possible once in office because it'll probably actually deepen any recession at first, then take a couple years to really get going again. But if they can cut spending significantly and end the fed, then I am very confident that things will be turned around in time for a landslide reelection in 2016.