PDA

View Full Version : False Fears About Concealed Guns

IBleedNavyAndOrange
04-01-2011, 11:33 PM
"The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence calls the measure 'dangerous.' Kristen Rand of the Violence Policy Center says that it would lead to Tucson-style mass shootings as well as the killing of police.

"What the gun control groups don't tabulate is how many homicides have been averted by a licensed, concealed handgun.

"The problem for opponents is that they have sown fear from the beginning, only to harvest a meager crop. A generation ago, few states allowed concealed-carry. When Florida captured national attention by legalizing it in 1987, critics forecast mass carnage. When other states followed suit, the same predictions were heard.

"But they turned out to be false alarms. Instead of an epidemic of violence, the nation saw a drop. Since 1991, the murder rate has been cut nearly in half. You don't have to believe that 'shall-issue' laws caused the decline to grasp that they certainly didn't get in the way."

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-oped-0331-chapman-20110331,0,4417269.column

I hope the state does the right thing and recognizes my right to self defense. Im certainly not counting on it.

eduardo89
04-02-2011, 06:11 AM
My girlfriend is like that. She thinks that anyone with a gun is a potential murderer and won't let me have a gun in the house with my newborn.

Good thing she doesn't know about my 9mm :p

madengr
04-02-2011, 07:12 AM
You have a penis, so that makes you a potential rapist.

I actually think the statistics show that there are more criminal cops than criminal CCW holders.

eduardo89
04-02-2011, 07:19 AM

Oh shit! I should keep it under lock and key and keep my "ammo" stored separately.

GuerrillaXXI
04-05-2011, 04:25 AM
"The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence calls the measure 'dangerous.' Kristen Rand of the Violence Policy Center says that it would lead to Tucson-style mass shootings as well as the killing of police.Does she think people can't already do these things with handguns carried illegally? Someone who's willing to shoot people at random is going to be worried about getting a carry permit first?

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it amazes me that the VPC can be so stupid. In fact, it amazes me so much that I don't really believe their stupidity is genuine. They probably have ulterior motives for their agenda.

Icymudpuppy
04-05-2011, 10:25 AM
In fact, it amazes me so much that I don't really believe their stupidity is genuine. They probably have ulterior motives for their agenda.

Of course they do. It's one of the planks of Marx's communist manifesto. The utopia requires disarmament of political dissenters.

DamianTV
04-05-2011, 03:50 PM

I actually think the statistics show that there are more criminal cops than criminal CCW holders.

Careful! The next thing that the goverment will want is a chastidy cock holder and they will hold the key "for your safekeeping". Think of the children!

As far as criminal cops, the cops are enabled by the decisions of the lawmakers and the Status Quo moreso than they are enabled by our actions. Criminal Cops are the result of a Criminal Congress, not the cause.

osan
05-01-2011, 08:03 AM
My girlfriend is like that. She thinks that anyone with a gun is a potential murderer and won't let me have a gun in the house with my newborn.

Good thing she doesn't know about my 9mm :p

Sounds like you need a new girlfriend.

If my wife were like that, she would not be my wife. Of course, we have been married only 3 weeks, but the past 8 years would not have happened in any event. I'm not a great fan of irrational people, especially when they are fear-oriented.

osan
05-01-2011, 08:04 AM

Statistics or no, I hold zero doubt that this is not only true, but it is so by a dizzyingly wide margin. I'd bet at least 100:1 if not 1000:1

osan
05-01-2011, 08:06 AM
...keep my "ammo" stored separately.

That's gonna hurt and leave quite a mark.