PDA

View Full Version : Reporting Suspicious Activity in Kentucky? There’s a Homeland Security app for that.

Anti Federalist
04-01-2011, 09:53 PM
As far as I can tell, this is not an April Fool's joke.

Here's the link for the app:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eyes-and-ears-on-kentucky/id422703420?mt=8

Reporting Suspicious Activity? There’s a Homeland Security app for that

By Nicole Martinelli (9:27 am, Apr. 01, 2011)

http://www.cultofmac.com/reporting-suspicious-activity-theres-a-homeland-security-app-for-that/88842

Concerned citizens in Kentucky can report “suspicious activity” to their state branch of Homeland Security through an iPhone app.

Called Eyes and Ears of Kentucky, the app is offered gratis on iTunes. The handiwork of developers NICUSA, it has been in the store since March 7. So far, it has not received enough reviews to reach an average rating. Through the app, you can report a suspicious incident or activity along with details about the alleged subjects and their vehicles.

Gene Kiser, director of the Kentucky Office of Homeland Security, said the iPhone application is the latest step to protect the state. Kiser told the Associated Press “putting the technology in people’s hands will allow the homeland security office to receive the most current information on threats.”

My first thought: forget about terrorists, this app is perfect for vendettas large and small. Ex-paramours, evil bosses, neighbors you hate, report them anonymously and watch them squirm. What are the consequences for crying wolf, especially if the claim is as vague as “suspicious activity?”
Do you think this app is a good idea or not?

Anti Federalist
04-01-2011, 09:58 PM
The vast majority of Gestapo informers were not full-term informers working undercover, but were rather ordinary citizens who for whatever reason chose to denounce those they knew to the Gestapo.[18]

According to Canadian historian Robert Gellately's analysis of the local offices established, the Gestapo was—for the most part—made up of bureaucrats and clerical workers who depended upon denunciations by citizens for their information.[19] Gellately argued that it was because of the widespread willingness of Germans to inform on each other to the Gestapo that Germany between 1933 and 1945 was a prime example of Panopticism.[20] Indeed, the Gestapo—at times—was overwhelmed with denunciations and most of its time was spent sorting out the credible from the less credible denunciations.[21] Many of the local offices were understaffed and overworked, struggling with the paper load caused by so many denunciations.[22] Gellately has also suggested that the Gestapo was "a reactive organization" that "...which was constructed within German society and whose functioning was structurally dependent on the continuing co-operation of German citizens

amy31416
04-01-2011, 10:03 PM
My first thought: forget about terrorists, this app is perfect for vendettas large and small. Ex-paramours, evil bosses, neighbors you hate, report them anonymously and watch them squirm. What are the consequences for crying wolf, especially if the claim is as vague as “suspicious activity?”

They're doing the same to us as they've been doing to the Muslims overseas...big payback to give them "work." I have a PITA neighbor who loves to gossip--why not make some money and get rid of her?

And there are no negative consequences to "crying wolf" as far as I can tell. If I rat someone out for bullshit reasons, I help justify the DHS' existence and maybe even help expand the department, so they can cover all the garbage, along with the rare actual case.

Either way, don't we already have the freaking FBI? Hasn't there been a hotline to report weirdness to them for, I don't know, my entire life?

tangent4ronpaul
04-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I remember reading a while back that these lines generally get 2 calls a day and that the tips generally don't turn out to be anything.

Nice work if you can get it - perfect for students!

coastie
04-01-2011, 10:14 PM

The consequences are a dead family member, at worst. But rest assured, Mundane-all Department procedures were followed in the events leading to your family member's death. You shall appreciate in the fact that no State Officers were in any way injured during the operation, and that they have been given 2 weeks paid vacation with their families.

Anti Federalist
04-01-2011, 10:15 PM
The consequences are a dead family member, at worst. But rest assured, Mundane-all Department procedures were followed in the events leading to your family member's death. You shall appreciate in the fact that no State Officers were in any way injured during the operation, and that they have been given 2 weeks paid vacation with their families.

Grrrrr

coastie
04-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Eggggzactly.:mad:

I've come to realize just how many people around where I live will "Call the Law" on anyone and anybody for every stupid thing you can think of. I lose sleep at night wondering how many have had their lives ruined because of what would've subsided on it's own, let alone been injured or killed by the the pumped up roid freaks that grew up watching cops, supposedly to rescue someone to death.......:mad::mad::mad:

:D

Anti Federalist
04-02-2011, 11:29 AM
///