PDA

View Full Version : Is the Tea Party movement fizzling out?

MN Patriot
04-01-2011, 06:26 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/52343.html

Tea party rally draws small government ‘shutdown’ crowd
Rand Paul speaks Thursday at a tea party protest, which drew a crowd of about 200 people.
Tea party regulars Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) and Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) encouraged the crowd to not back down on the spending fight.

Only 200 show up to hear Rand Paul and Michelle Bachmann. The Democrats get tens of thousands to their big government rallies.

This doesn't look good for 2012. The Democrats get mad about anything and everything and protest like their lives depend on it.

The tax slaves get kind of angry then go back to work.

JoshLowry
04-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Fozz, is that you?

Of course we are not fizzling out. The momentum going into 2011 is tremendous.

Ron dominated CPAC a few weeks back...

MozoVote
04-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Could be. Some of the NC Tea Party organizers last year were saying attendence had been declining. I have not seen any storm of Tea Partiers showing up at the GOP conventions this year.

ItsTime
04-01-2011, 06:43 PM
LMAO. Union thugs = lazy protests tea partiers = people who work for a living. Of course their "give me more of your money" rallies will be bigger.

They forget to mention Ron Pauls standing room only 800+ at UNH. Would have been more if the room could hold more.

Sola_Fide
04-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Hahaha...

Come to Kentucky and see if the Tea Party movement is fading away:)

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Just try to keep track of what it's growing into. That's the major issue.

AGRP
04-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Unions REQUIRE union members to attend rallies.

ItsTime
04-01-2011, 06:54 PM

Totally skipped my mind. Great point.

SerArris
04-01-2011, 07:17 PM

I disagree. They obviously encourage it but I have never been required to attend one...

NewRightLibertarian
04-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Maybe. I certainly hope not though.

Anti Federalist
04-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Hate to go against the grain here, but if 1994 is any indication of what's in store, I'd say yes.

Then, as now, there was a great hue and cry to "throw da bums out".

Once the bums had been thrown, the mood changed.

Let another OKC happen (or be made to happen), and all this anti-government, "Tea Party" chatter will dry up like a summer rain shower.

Which is why we should not tie ourselves to it. We were our own distinct "movement" long before there was a "Tea Party". We'll still be here long after they're gone.

That said, attendance at one engagement is hardly a reliable metric.

Sola_Fide
04-01-2011, 08:05 PM
By the way...I have seen the Tea Party meetings ebb and flow here in Kentucky a little bit. People tend to get more involved when it is election time.

Next year is going to be a magical time for sure.

low preference guy
04-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Hate to go against the grain here, but if 1994 is any indication of what's in store, I'd say yes.

Let another OKC happen (or be made to happen), and all this anti-government, "Tea Party" chatter will dry up like a summer rain shower.

I disagree completely. The economy wasn't awful during the Clinton years. It's not going to get better and that'll keep the Tea Party alive.

tangent4ronpaul
04-01-2011, 08:14 PM
A) it was a weekday - peeps have to work
B) it was cold in DC on thurs. IIRC, it also rained.
C) it was poorly publicized. I found out about it after the fact from news reporting

D) one of the FOX shows did one of their Buy, Sell or Hold's on if republicans/conservatives should hold fast on the reduce the size of gvmt stance. 97% of call in voters said YES!

outspoken
04-01-2011, 08:46 PM
human nature is such that we tend to plateau with our emotions and get back into a state of content with our discontent. The economy is in a period of stagnation but make no mistake that nothing in DC has changed and the Fed is still pulling the levers on our monetary policy thus we will crash. The next crash will have no safety net and no president operating under the old norms of the last 50 years will be able to curtail the gastly human suffering that will inevitably follow the next bubble burst. I wish it were so. I think this recession at least caused a lot of people to reflect and question things... it will be the next one that ushers in the solutions that Ron Paul as been advocating for years. I just hope and pray that it all goes as peacefully as possible. The Tea Party folks won't look so extreme when there really are people suffering on a level not seen in this country for many generations. And I hope the real radicals in the form of liberals don't dare point the finger at the 'unreasonable' tea partiers blaming them for the plight of those who live off the welfare of govt... my fear is that is the point at which violence may ensure if not navigated properly by those in positions of authority.

Brett85
04-01-2011, 08:50 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/52343.html

Only 200 show up to hear Rand Paul and Michelle Bachmann. The Democrats get tens of thousands to their big government rallies.

This doesn't look good for 2012. The Democrats get mad about anything and everything and protest like their lives depend on it.

The tax slaves get kind of angry then go back to work.

All of the Republicans were probably at work.

matt0611
04-01-2011, 08:52 PM

Which is why we should not tie ourselves to it. We were our own distinct "movement" long before there was a "Tea Party". We'll still be here long after they're gone.

That said, attendance at one engagement is hardly a reliable metric.

I'd agree with you, except for one thing, our deficit and our economy, its only going to get worse, its what the tea party has been saying since 07/08.
As the economy gets worse you will see them grow even stronger IMO

Anti Federalist
04-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I disagree completely. The economy wasn't awful during the Clinton years. It's not going to get better and that'll keep the Tea Party alive.

I'd agree with you, except for one thing, our deficit and our economy, its only going to get worse, its what the tea party has been saying since 07/08.
As the economy gets worse you will see them grow even stronger IMO

Possibly.

What will derail everything is runaway inflation now.

The dow closed at it's highest level in 2011 at 12376 up from 7761 in 2009.

Unemployment dropped below 9 percent.

Let some real economic activity start to light off and think the dollar's value will fall off a cliff.

ninepointfive
04-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Sure, I hear a lot of tea parties are fading. However, we drew a raucus crowd which rivaled the attendance of the union purple... check out the end of this video for a pan out of the crowd. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtB7m8GMY-E#t=01m20s) (1m20sec)

Denver Capital Building Steps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtB7m8GMY-E#t=01m20s

AGRP
04-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Ron Paul has always advocated education for a reason. It's the spreading of vital ideas that matter.

The "Tea Party" is simply a vessel. It can come or go.

I wouldn't worry one bit if I don't see another Gadsden flag.

JCLibertarian
04-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Possibly.

What will derail everything is runaway inflation now.

The dow closed at it's highest level in 2011 at 12376 up from 7761 in 2009.

Unemployment dropped below 9 percent.

Let some real economic activity start to light off and think the dollar's value will fall off a cliff.

That's actually a good point. Once the economy reaches 6-7% unemployment, and banks start lending all this fiat money they have in their reserves through fractional reserve banking, the economy will experience higher inflation rates then those occurring right now and any meaningful gains in employment will be rendered insignificant and be erased by higher inflation rates. Because in the long term, inflation hinders economic growth and production due to higher costs. I have no doubt that in the short term, the various stimulus plans will create jobs, but in the long terms the growth isn't sustainable because this debt creation will either have to be paid back through inflation of the currency or higher taxes.

FreedomProsperityPeace
04-02-2011, 02:36 AM
The media is really trying to put forth the message that the Tea Party is fading. I saw 2 articles in the paper today on that subject. I know that MY resolve hasn't waned one bit.

MN Patriot
04-02-2011, 06:21 AM
The media is really trying to put forth the message that the Tea Party is fading. I saw 2 articles in the paper today on that subject. I know that MY resolve hasn't waned one bit.

Maybe this is the approach that the Establishment is ordering the media to follow: report about how the Tea Party movement is fading away.
Interesting article from the New American about the latest Foreign Affairs article from the CFR. http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/6625-cfr-tea-party-dangerous-obstructive

It is clear then that, even in its infancy, the Tea Party has already begun to disrupt and delay the plans the insiders have for submerging the American republic into a new world order. As the Tea Party movement grows, the problems that creates for CFR insiders should continue to mount — but only if the Tea Party Movement moves in the direction of the noninterventionist foreign policy advocated by Ron Paul as opposed to the interventionist foreign policy advocated by Sarah Palin.

This internal struggle of the Tea Party, the Establishment support for Palin and their opposition to the Ron Paul branch, is one tactic the Establishment is using to derail it. Watch for more reports in the MSM about how the Tea Party is fading away, especially if there are fewer rallies and protests.

April 15 should be a national day of protest, the tax slaves should be rallying to emancipate themselves from their status as government chattel.
The 100 year anniversary of the income tax is coming up. 100 years of government slavery, let's celebrate!

Matt Collins
04-02-2011, 10:40 AM
No, I think they are starting to realize that rallies tend to accomplish nothing and lose their effectiveness.

Here is a video that better explains it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh2SY7l09bI

Badger Paul
04-02-2011, 12:54 PM
I think if the Tea Party transitioned itself to become an anti-war movement as well, you'll see it numbers grows, its energy revitalized and its movement become broader.

If not, it probably will fade away. What kind of a movement calls itself anti-establishment yet a quarter of it is ready to voe for the most establishment candidate of all?

FrankRep
04-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Is the Tea Party movement fizzling out?

Is Rand Paul in Senate?

Matt Collins
04-02-2011, 01:11 PM
In other words, I think they are digging in and becoming more focused / entrenched just as we are. More substance, less style. I think the mainstream Tea Party is about a year behind the Ron Paul movement.

FrankRep
04-02-2011, 01:14 PM
The general "tea party" is waking up to the fact that not everyone with an "R" next to their name is actually a Republican like Ron Paul.

The Tea Party just got wiser:

Tea Party Nation: Sen. Scott Brown threw us 'under the bus' (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2011/apr/1/tea-party-nation-sen-scott-brown-threw-us-under-bu/)

Washington Times
April 1, 2011

Flash
04-02-2011, 01:30 PM
The Tea Party movement needs to realize getting involved with local politics and using the tool of nullification will bring about the change we desire. Just supporting your local Tea Party Republican for Federal office won't do shit, as most are phonies along the lines of Rubio or Brown.

ninepointfive
04-02-2011, 06:31 PM
I would like for Ron to run, and therefore gain the momentum of the Tea Parties, and steer the tp further towards Ron Paul and the Revolution.

I would like to help bring Ron Paul to Northern Colorado. We are discussing it among the old meetup crew. The meetup crew who hasn't been for a while will need to be contacted, and start bringing people back in. The tea parties are lacking in qualified leadership, needs some new leaders to step up across the board when Ron Runs to get that momentum.

check this out:
http://dailypaul.com/160282/national-run-ron-paul-meetup-day-april-19th-2011

acptulsa
04-02-2011, 06:35 PM
When the media set out to see if the Tea Party is growing or fading, they invariably go to those events that are liable to feature Newt and Sarah. And I believe the opportunists and has-beens are failing to enchant people.

In other words, I think they're measuring the teaocons. And I think that group is shrinking. Or in even fewer words, good news.

ninepointfive
04-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Start it up! http://dailypaul.com/160282/national-run-ron-paul-meetup-day-april-19th-2011

White Bear Lake
04-03-2011, 04:23 PM
The Tea Party is a powerful force and we need to keep it on the Ron Paul side of things. We need to get Tea Partiers to associate liberty with the tea party. For example, Ron could incorporate the Gasden Flag heavily in his campaign.

BlackTerrel
04-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Depends. I wouldn't over react to a couple rallies though.

People are busy and don't show up to hear people speak. Doesn't mean their views have changed.

eduardo89
04-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Attendance may be declining right now, but it's April 2011. Just wait till the election cycle really kicks in

jazzloversinc
04-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Here is what I noticed. When Obama was elected and they had a super majority....on the local level, a patriot group formed ..and formed pretty quickly. Lots of people were involved. THeir goal was to stand against the government, particularly our local governemnt and was started as a non partisan group to fight against illegal searches and seizures (the FHP was randomly stopping people and searching your car with no warrant or probable cause) etc. Everyone was fired up . Little by little the business men who pulled this thing together, started changing the mission statement to education...to go into the schools and give the kids pocket constitution, and do little skits about the founders, which is ok, but they abandoned the stuff that was firing people up. I noticed that before we were having standing room only crowds, and now I don't even go.

matt0611
04-03-2011, 05:49 PM
The Tea Party is a powerful force and we need to keep it on the Ron Paul side of things. We need to get Tea Partiers to associate liberty with the tea party. For example, Ron could incorporate the Gasden Flag heavily in his campaign.

I think if Ron Paul started to embrace the Tea Party more, using the Gasden flag like you said, he could maybe co-opt the tea partiers into the liberty movement.
I've been saying this for a while, the tea party is not perfect, but I really think it could be harnessed for the liberty movement, there are a lot of similarities and they are halfway there in many ways. Look at Rand Paul, he's learned to harness it, hes like THE tea partier in the senate.

If Ron wants to win, he needs to get the tea party behind him IMO. The rest of the GOPers need to look like the old guard / neo-cons hypocrites and Ron needs to look like the person with fresh ideas, whos sincere about limited government and the debt, tea party candidate etc