PDA

View Full Version : Should World Factories Work 12 hours a Day?

Fire11
04-01-2011, 10:42 AM
If the world factories would have been working for 12 hours a day only for past 50 to 100 years, then only 50% of world's resources would have been consumed today. The world economy would have easily survived for another 100 years without any problem. There would have been no financial crisis and multi-trillion bailouts for next 100 years and more. The human greed to develop very fast and competition has led to the downfall of world economy ultimately.

Example, if there is 200 storey building, you will reach the top of the building by elevator/lift or staircase. If you use elevator you reach the top in 2 minutes and then you have to come down. If you use staircase, you reach the top in 2 hours and then you come down.

For past 50 to 100 years, world factories and manufacturing facilities have been working and producing products and goods for 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. That is the reason the world resources and raw materials are in serious trouble and world prices are sky-high because everything has been consumed in a short span of time.

Human beings are breeding like rats and they say rats are breeding like rats. To feed the massive hunger (food and products) of 7.5 billion people, the world production works for 24 hours a day which further increases the population.

All the world factories should be shut down for 12 hours a day. There should be death silence so that everybody and animals can rest in peace and the Earth can cool down for 12 hours a day.

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Do we get to open our factories by day? Or will the Eurasians outvote us and make us stay up all night?

I'd be all for keeping facotries open twelve hours a day. At this point, that would create a lot of jobs. We wish we could keep them busy that long.

So, if competition is causing the rape of the world's resources, how do you explain how the Soviets managed to avoid the slightest hint of efficiency in anything from their fighter jets to their portable radios? No wonder we have an energy crisis.

Slow food production to curtail breeding. So, we're to be treated as rats now. I'm not going to try to sell that one, even if I thought I could.

fisharmor
04-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Ok, so the biggest problem is this: every single time the word "should" shows up in a thread topic, the answer on this forum is probably going to be NO.

The first material problem with your post is this: if world factories were mandated to shut down for 12 hours a day, that means there would be twice as many factories. People want stuff. If they're not getting stuff, the price on stuff goes up. The high price of stuff causes other people to realize they could make a buck producing stuff. You're not magically reducing demand by making the factories shut down: you're only compelling other people to build factories.

The second material problem is that your scenario, where we need twice as many factories to produce the same amount of stuff, causes the price on stuff to go up, since what could have been done with X tools and labor now requires 2X tools and labor. Standard of living therefore goes down.

The third material problem is that we're not running out of resources, so it's a bogus argument to begin with.

fisharmor
04-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Also, in the modern world famines have only happened in authoritarian countries. How you're going to shut down factories half of the time without an authoritarian government is the question. It seems like you don't like high population numbers, given that you didn't only suggest it, but you're dancing real close to a guaranteed solution for high population.

Fire11
04-01-2011, 11:01 AM
India population touched 1.21 billion, up 17.4% from 2001, according to the provisional figures of the 2011 Census.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/census-of-india-2011-shocking-gender-bias-among-175-humanity/articleshow/7840479.cms

dannno
04-01-2011, 11:02 AM
The first material problem with your post is this: if world factories were mandated to shut down for 12 hours a day, that means there would be twice as many factories.

Ya, this is great example of the libertarian/computer programmer theory:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?285801-If-we-disagree-one-of-us-is-wrong-Libertarians-and-Computer-Science

dannno
04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
India population touched 1.21 billion, up 17.4% from 2001, according to the provisional figures of the 2011 Census.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/census-of-india-2011-shocking-gender-bias-among-175-humanity/articleshow/7840479.cms

So you think the solution is to have more factories running for less amounts of time?

muzzled dogg
04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
lol good thread

Brian4Liberty
04-01-2011, 11:06 AM
A busy mundane is a happy mundane. Increase the workweek to 6 days, 12 hour shifts each day. Doubleplusgood for all.

Anti Federalist
04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
A busy mundane is a happy mundane. Increase the workweek to 6 days, 12 hour shifts each day. Doubleplusgood for all.

Very good Comrade.

SWATH
04-01-2011, 11:13 AM
A worker should be able to find a job where he can work as much as he wants to work.

pcosmar
04-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Human beings are breeding like rats and they say rats are breeding like rats. To feed the massive hunger (food and products) of 7.5 billion people, the world production works for 24 hours a day which further increases the population.

:confused:

Eat more Rat.
Apparently rat trap production is falling behind. As well as the rat meat processing facilities.

the world production works for 24 hours a day which further increases the population.

The factory supervisors need to keep people from fucking on the job.

Fire11
04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Eat more Rat. Apparently rat trap production is falling behind. As well as the rat meat processing facilities.
I agree rats can be eaten. People eat rats and many other animals.

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 11:35 AM

The Supervisor isn't giving up his job 'perks' because the likes of you says so, mundane.

Fire11
04-01-2011, 11:37 AM
There are billions of animals in this world and they need lots of space and food to survive. Without animals human beings will not survive. Think of animals.

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Anyone have a Simpson's 'Think Of The Children' gif?

Fire11
04-01-2011, 11:43 AM
When all the world resources and raw materials will be consumed in coming few years, all world factories will shut down automatically and all the world jobs will be destroyed.

pcosmar
Anyone have a Simpson's 'Think Of The Children' gif?

Nope,
How about a YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

Brian4Liberty
Very good Comrade.

Thank you, Brother. Freedom is slavery.

fisharmor
04-01-2011, 11:46 AM
:confused:
Eat more Rat.
Apparently rat trap production is falling behind. As well as the rat meat processing facilities.

Absolutely losing composure here. +rep.

There are billions of animals in this world and they need lots of space and food to survive. Without animals human beings will not survive. Think of animals.

Actually, it's being demonstrated that animals are thriving in places like Botswana, where you can go there and kill them, and they are dying off in places like Kenya, where the state protects them.
The best way to think of the animals is as God intended: as resources.
If you poach off all the elephants to protect the crops you're trying to feed your starving children, it's not long before there are no more elephants.
But if you cultivate those Elephants so the super-rich can go spend fantastic amounts of money on safari to shoot one, then you not only have an incentive to keep those elephant herds alive, but you have incentive to keep them viable.

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
When all the world resources and raw materials will be consumed in coming few years, all world factories will shut down automatically and all the world jobs will be destroyed.

Nah. One Will Survive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5DnqW3F57E

Fire11
04-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Actually, it's being demonstrated that animals are thriving in places like Botswana, where you can go there and kill them, and they are dying off in places like Kenya, where the state protects them.

If 7 billion people hunt and kill animals to feed their families all the animals will disappear within few months.

Some 10 billion chickens are eaten by world people every year. Think of millions and millions of hectares of farms and billions of tonnes of farm food/crops eaten every year by people.

3 billion people survive on sea food.

Anti Federalist
04-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Absolutely losing composure here. +rep.

Myself...I'm ROFLing as well.

Rat meat, Khav Khalash and crab juice...that's the answer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skurheg3P6I&feature=related

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
If 7 billion people hunt and kill animals to feed their families all the animals will disappear within few months.

Never underestimate the enemy, soldier!

fisharmor
04-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Some 10 billion chickens are eaten by world people every year. Think of millions and millions of hectares of farms and billions of tonnes of farm food/crops eaten every year by people.

3 billion people survive on sea food.

And almost all of the 6.91 billion people on earth right now wouldn't get a reference to Carl Sagan, no matter how I worded it.

dannno
04-01-2011, 12:33 PM

lol, dude.. have you ever been up in an airplane and flown across the country??

There is plenty of space, and plenty of resources.

I agree we need to look into more sustainable technologies, I agree those technologies are being held back (by government via proxy lobbyists from corporations), so what we need to do is get rid of government regulation over industries in order to let those technologies thrive... technologies that help free people from the system so people can have energy off of the grid and learn techniques in permaculture so our food sources become more sustainable.

Government should only protect property rights (which includes protecting you from your neighbor polluting your land), and uphold contracts.

dannno
04-01-2011, 12:39 PM

That wouldn't happen if the hunting areas are privatized. Look, what we are telling you is that the methods you want to use to protect animals result in the death and extinction of said animals and we have proof.. We have thought this through plenty of times and come to the realization that the best way to protect animals and keep them viable is through property rights. Are you allowed to own a cow? Yes. Are cows going extinct? No. What about chickens? Are you allowed to own an elephant? No. Are they going extinct? Supposedly. Why do you think that is? It is because people aren't allowed to own -> protect -> propagate elephants like they can with other animals that people desire to have.

WE are the ones with the solution to protect animals, if you have questions, go ahead and ask, but stop pretending like we don't care.

Fire11
04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
lol, dude.. have you ever been up in an airplane and flown across the country?? There is plenty of space, and plenty of resources.
World people eat 4.4 billion tonnes food each year which is equal to weight of 8,800 world trade center buildings (9/11).

Let us assume there are 4 billion people each weighing 100 kg. Total human weight is 400 million Tons.

If people eat 3% of body weight everyday, 3% of 400 million is 12 million tons per day = 4.4 billion Tons per year = 8800 world trade center buildings.

Worldwide oil production for year 2010 was 30 billions of barrels.

Some 7 billion tonnes of coal is produced worldwide per year which is equal to weight of 14,000 world trade center buildings (9/11).

fisharmor
04-01-2011, 12:57 PM
If people eat 3% of body weight everyday, 3% of 400 million is 12 million tons per day = 4.4 billion Tons per year = 8800 world trade center buildings.

Wow, it would take a lot of radical Muslims to blow that up.

http://igs.kirjastot.fi/en-GB/iGS/questions/question.aspx?ID=607c2caf-feca-4c85-85c1-d0457bcf9a62
Manhattan island alone has over 5,538 high-rise buildings.
It's 22.7 square miles, or 0.000000039% of the Earth's roughly 58 million square miles total.
(ETA: that's just land, BTW.)
Walt Disney lied to you. It's not a small world, after all.

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 01:02 PM
You eat coal and world trade center buildings and wash them down with crude oil?

Dude, I'm really, truly sorry if it appeared that I was making fun of you earlier. Sir.

Fire11
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Manhattan island alone has over 5,538 high-rise buildings.
Only 50 completed skyscrapers taller than 656 feet (200 m).

World trade center building were 1100 feet high.

Fire11
04-01-2011, 01:06 PM
I think the Life Span of paper is 5 recycles after that the paper cannot be recycled again. How many million of tonnes of paper is used to feed the world newspapers and other world paper needs. Trees are cut down for paper.

Millions and millions of trees are cut/chopped down worldwide for furniture, houses and farmlands and firewood.

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 01:11 PM
But, you know, if you really believed in sustainability you wouldn't make the server burn electricity just so you can talk to yourself.

Good way to pad your post count, though.

Fire11
04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
you wouldn't make the server burn electricity just so you can talk to yourself.
I am burning electricity so that there is 50% reduction in electricity consumption worldwide.

Fox McCloud
04-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I seriously suspect he's just trolling; some of his statements are just plain silly, like this one:

Fire11
04-01-2011, 01:24 PM
some of his statements are just plain silly
My English is British. Many Americans use slang English language.

DamianTV
04-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Ok, so the biggest problem is this: every single time the word "should" shows up in a thread topic, the answer on this forum is probably going to be NO.

Agreed.

People also work in shifts. Its one thing to fully automate a factory and have it run 24/7, but when we apply the word "should", it means imposing our opinions on someone else without regards to their situation. Some people may not physically be able to work 12 hours a day. Others have families they need to be with. Other people will insist that they be allowed to work MORE. Others will flat out quit when told to work an increased number of hours, what ever those numbers should be.

The number of hours to be worked should be agreed on between the employer and the laborer, and we should not stick our noses where they dont belong.

(notice the not so creative use of the word "should" again)

dannno
04-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I think the Life Span of paper is 5 recycles after that the paper cannot be recycled again. How many million of tonnes of paper is used to feed the world newspapers and other world paper needs. Trees are cut down for paper.

Millions and millions of trees are cut/chopped down worldwide for furniture, houses and farmlands and firewood.

Why do we need to use trees to make paper when we can make paper out of a weed that doesn't require fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, much water, and produces 4 times the amount of paper per acre than trees? Oh ya, weed (hemp) is illegal, I forgot...

Maybe if there wasn't so much govt. intervention, we wouldn't have so much waste and we would have a more sustainable planet?

What are your solutions? You realize that to close a factory down, you have to threaten the factory owner with violence, right? That means you need guns and enforcement. Is that what you are ready to participate in?

dannno
04-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I am burning electricity so that there is 50% reduction in electricity consumption worldwide.

No, you are increasing the demand for electricity, which will in turn drive up the supply of electricity, all for nothing.

I want solutions to your problems. What should we educate people to consume less of? Is there an alternative? Should we force humans to consume less?

dannno
04-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Then of course there's this theory in the intro here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8928413583604160765

DamianTV
04-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Easy. Make paper from hemp! There is nothing better than smoking a big fat doobie rolled in hemp paper, even if the hemp paper doesnt have any THC in it!

Wait! There isnt THC in Hemp? I cant get high if you smoke it, drink it, eat it or stick it up my ass? Fuck it! Outlaw it anyway! We need more Taxation By Citation!

fisharmor
04-01-2011, 01:34 PM

If you pull all that nichrome resistance wire out of your head and install some copper, that'll bring world electricity consumption down by at least 10%.

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 01:37 PM
If you pull all that nichrome resistance wire out of your head and install some copper, that'll bring world electricity consumption down by at least 10%.

Just imagine what his post count could be if he had some superconductivity going on in there...

Anti Federalist
04-01-2011, 01:45 PM
World people eat 4.4 billion tonnes food each year which is equal to weight of 8,800 world trade center buildings (9/11).

Let us assume there are 4 billion people each weighing 100 kg. Total human weight is 400 million Tons.

Worldwide oil production for year 2010 was 30 billions of barrels.

Some 7 billion tonnes of coal is produced worldwide per year which is equal to weight of 14,000 world trade center buildings (9/11).

There are 12 billion tons of fish biomass.

They poop 24 billion tons of fish poop every year.

Padded bras support 27 million tons of mammary glands.

Mice and rats can be friends.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TMi-5I5BZvA/SwoUvMDY3eI/AAAAAAAAEHs/IVF3kyqDkDs/s1600/Morgan+Freeman+Cotton+Candy.jpg

Anti Federalist
04-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Dupe a dupe a doopa

dean.engelhardt
04-01-2011, 01:55 PM
if the world factories would have been working for 12 hours a day only for past 50 to 100 years, then only 50% of world's resources would have been consumed today. The world economy would have easily survived for another 100 years without any problem. There would have been no financial crisis and multi-trillion bailouts for next 100 years and more. The human greed to develop very fast and competition has led to the downfall of world economy ultimately.

Example, if there is 200 storey building, you will reach the top of the building by elevator/lift or staircase. If you use elevator you reach the top in 2 minutes and then you have to come down. If you use staircase, you reach the top in 2 hours and then you come down.

For past 50 to 100 years, world factories and manufacturing facilities have been working and producing products and goods for 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. That is the reason the world resources and raw materials are in serious trouble and world prices are sky-high because everything has been consumed in a short span of time.

All the world factories should be shut down for 12 hours a day. There should be death silence so that everybody and animals can rest in peace and the earth can cool down for 12 hours a day.

thread fail

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Morgan Freeman has surely finished his cotton candy by now. Does that make any of this valid?

thread fail

Careful putting things in a nutshell these days. If it's a peanut shell, it could get you quarantined.

Brian4Liberty
04-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Dupe a dupe a doopa

Is is it happy hour in your time zone already? ;) :D

pcosmar
04-01-2011, 02:47 PM
This is April Fools day,, right?

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Looks like it.

Anti Federalist
04-01-2011, 03:16 PM
http://barrykade.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/completely.jpg

awake
04-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Yes, if you have a willing factory owner and a willing factory worker. The law should have nothing to say about this contractual agreement other than to ensure legal force in its violation.

eduardo89
04-01-2011, 03:43 PM
How many times has the same thing been posted?

Fire11
04-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Gundersen: But the nasty isotopes — the cesium and strontium will remain for 30 years. And they’re volatile. Within 90 days, the iodine health risks will disappear, because that will decay away.

After Three Mile Island, strontium was detected 150 miles away from the reactor. That ends up in cow’s milk and doesn’t go away for 300 years. The releases from these plants will last for a year, and will contain elements that will remain in the environment for 300 years, even in the best case.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/asia-pacific/japan/110314/japan-nuclear-meltdown-disaster

Reactors contain years worth of uranium fuel. Nuclear bombs contain a lot of nuclear fuel too but it's almost entirely consumed in producing the explosion, bomb fallout is actually stuff like bomb casing material and dirt and building debris that is irradiated by the gamma wave blast. It's pretty radiaoactive for a while but is gone after a few months. A nuclear reactor meltdown wouldn't consume the nuclear fuel, so the area around it would be poisoned for centuries by a large amount of long half-life radioactive material.

Nuclear power plants are for creation/growth whereas Nuclear weapons are for destruction. Now if creation causes destruction then shut down all nuclear power plants.

Nuclear energy/power is the most destructive creation of mankind. Why do humans play with nuclear energy? There will be no more new nuclear power plants.

Reduce electricity consumption by 50%. Use wood fire to roast meat. Roasted meat is the best. When you use wood fire to cook food, the ash is rich with nutrients and provides the best fertilizer for trees and plants. This will cut nuclear power and coal produced electricity by 50%.

31 USA reactors are similar in design to ones failing in Japan. USA has nearly 100 nuclear reactors.

The very word Tsunami is Japanese. The history of Japan is Tsunami. Yet every single redundant back up has failed after a Tsunami. How's that for perspective?

When Chernobyl exploded 100 000 people got cancer all over Europe and Russia over the next 10 years.

As for Chernobyl, facts are this:

* For the 14 years since the disaster 300,000 died in Ukraine alone from the radiation sickness

* The releases contaminated an estimated 17 million people to some degree.

* 143,000 people have been evacuated from contaminated areas of Ukraine

* 600,000 people took part in liquidating effects of the disaster, 100,000 of which already died or are now handicapped

* Cases of leucosis and thyroid cancer exceed average by 2 and 5 times correspondingly among the Chernobyl victims.

* There are 1.8 million people residing on the territories of Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus, which are still defined as contaminated

I read articles about nuclear waste storage problems in France (80% of their power is from nukes).

Why not just use coal? I have nothing against nuclear power but why bother when we have so much coal available?

I am convinced even if we had the world's largest supply of oil easily obtainable we would try and find something else to use.

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Um, shutting down all the factories twelve hours a day won't reduce the electric generating capacity you need one bit if you shut them all down together instead of in shifts.

And you can't just shut down a nuclear reactor overnight, lock it up and go to bed.

Fox McCloud
04-01-2011, 08:36 PM
http://barrykade.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/completely.jpg

An important service announcement is hencecoming:

http://www.iayork.com/Images/2010/11-3-10/hownot.jpg

low preference guy
04-01-2011, 08:37 PM
That depends on the productivity of their workers. If the government didn't get in the way of capitalism, most people would've likely been able to make a decent living by working just 2 hours a day.

Anti Federalist
04-01-2011, 08:40 PM
An important service announcement is hencecoming:

http://www.iayork.com/Images/2010/11-3-10/hownot.jpg

That deserves a tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifmRgQX82O4

Fire11
04-02-2011, 07:57 AM
I think people here did not read the first post.

Example: If there is a 200 storey building, you will reach the top of the building by elevator/lift or staircase. If you use elevator you reach the top of the building in 2 minutes and then you have to come down. If you use staircase, you reach the top of the building in 2 hours and then you come down.

pcosmar
04-02-2011, 07:59 AM
I think people here did not read the first post.

April Fools Day is over.

Fire11
04-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Other poster:

America consumes 58 Billion burgers every year. America consumes 37 kilos of meat per person 3 times the average person does in asia and 6 times that of africa. Also america consumes 25% of the world's oil consumption with about 4.5% of the world's population. If every country on earth consumes as much as america, we would need about 12 Earths to sustain the world's population.

Fire11
04-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I think people here do not love animals and they think animals are not important for human survival.

Trigonx
04-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Animals taste awesome. I especially love the Cow. The pig tastes very good as well. Speaking of which I just ate a beef taco. Fucking awesome.

Fire11
04-02-2011, 09:48 AM
I think now China and India people also consume same as America because these people are getting big and heavy.

Trigonx
04-02-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm thinking of getting some bacon cheeseburgers later today. More animals to feed me.

Anti Federalist
04-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm thinking of getting some bacon cheeseburgers later today. More animals to feed me.

MMmmmmmm Bacon Cheeseburgers.....ahhhhhhhhhhhh

http://www.southdacola.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bacon-cheeseburger.jpg

http://www.talknerdytomelover.com/storage/drooling_homer.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1292 029569919

TNforPaul45
04-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Each factory should run only as long as its leaders and owners think it should to meet economic demand. Employees are free to accept compensation for theur labor in them or to find other employment arrangements.

Grubb556
04-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Perhaps allow for the privitization of the space industry, allowing people to start to develop methods of extracting resources from asteroids, or building entire space colonies at the lagrange point ?

Fox McCloud
04-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Perhaps allow for the privitization of the space industry, allowing people to start to develop methods of extracting resources from asteroids, or building entire space colonies at the lagrange point ?

First one to be able to make it to Titan and back profitably will be a billionaire overnight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28moon%29

'course, by the time we can actually make said trip profitably....we will probably have moved onto some other form of power (even assuming oil was limitless).

Anti Federalist
04-02-2011, 02:32 PM
First one to be able to make it to Titan and back profitably will be a billionaire overnight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28moon%29

'course, by the time we can actually make said trip profitably....we will probably have moved onto some other form of power (even assuming oil was limitless).

Gives the abiogenic petroleum theory a shot in the arm, eh?

including the discovery of liquid hydrocarbon lakes in the satellite's polar regions

Fire11
04-02-2011, 10:04 PM
In a desperate attempt to save money, the city of Colorado Springs turned off a third of its streetlights.

Fox McCloud
04-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Gives the abiogenic petroleum theory a shot in the arm, eh?

right, especially considering that Titan probably never had biomass on it.

I would point out though that we could still hit peak oil even if abiotic oil theory is correct; we may extract it at a rate greater than its produced.

Vessol
04-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Why don't we just create a DEPARTMENT OF JOBS

There, everyone who is unemployed can sit for 8 hours a day and get a paycheck!

Hell! It's a perfect idea! Creating jobs! We'll destroy unemployment!! What could go wrong!!!!!!????