PDA

View Full Version : Slate: The Tea Party isn't as "extreme" as Democrats would like it to be.

sailingaway
03-31-2011, 07:04 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2290029/

nobody's_hero
03-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Eh, then they quote Boehner as the face of the Tea Party.

No one wants to face the music, that if government shuts down, it will because it's bankrupted itself and dug so deep into debt that there's no way out (there may not be, already).

Nope. $61 billion isn't "radical" at all, but if that's all they want to cut, then government is still going to shut down. It won't be the Tea Party's fault, it'll be the fault of Congressmen who thought cutting $61 billion in chump change was going to keep this government running.

Guitarzan
03-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Sen. Chuck Schumer, R-N.Y., had been encouraging Democrats to call every GOP cut "extreme."

AuH20
03-31-2011, 07:17 PM
I wonder how much grassroots money will flood into Boehner's district if he betrays us? It's going to be nuts. Mr. Crispy golden will be routed in a primary.

Pericles
03-31-2011, 07:32 PM
I wonder how much grassroots money will flood into Boehner's district if he betrays us? It's going to be nuts. Mr. Crispy golden will be routed in a primary.

That would send an unmistakable message.

AuH20
03-31-2011, 07:44 PM
That would send an unmistakable message.

Until the message is conveyed that we don't care how many seats the democrats will capture, the games will continue. Frankly, as far as I'm concerned the democrats can have the whole goddamn government at this point. The bond market will eventually take care of their utopian fantasies. And if they do decide to go down that road of extreme taxation, they'll ignite a backlash so great that they'll need around-the clock 24 hour security.

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Until the message is conveyed that we don't care how many seats the democrats will capture, the games will continue. Frankly, as far as I'm concerned the democrats can have the whole goddamn government at this point. The bond market will eventually take care of their utopian fantasies. And if they do decide to go down that road of extreme taxation, they'll ignite a backlash so great that they'll need around-the clock 24 hour security.

Yes, but the Pauls are doing a great service, and I don't want to see them stop. I'm not a big fan of pure, relentless screwball comedies. I think having a straight man in each of the houses of Congress is very valuable. How can everyone get all the jokes if there's no straight man? I mean, in a complete screwball comedy everyone's so insane that half the jokes fall flat in the face of bigger insanity.

erowe1
04-01-2011, 08:20 AM

I like that idea. We need to find a good candidate now to be on deck.

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Actually, I think I'll go visit them. The problem isn't that we're not as extreme as they'd like us to be, but that their own heroes are far more extreme than they'd like them to be.

acptulsa
04-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Interesting. It used to be you just logged in over there, and that was it. Now either you link in some kind of profile, or you're relegated to the backwater known as 'The Fray'.

$#@& 'em.