PDA

View Full Version : Dear Friend and Educators of Liberty,

Gumba of Liberty
03-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Dear Friends of Liberty,

I have been a follower of this site and the liberty movement for years. The reason I have decided to join today is that it has come to the point were I can no longer be a spectator in the Revolution and I see great opportunity to move people toward liberty with recent occurrences. I believe I have something to contribute and the clock is ticking.

First, let me introduce myself. I am in a 5th year education master’s program in Virginia. Currently, I am doing my students teaching. (Thanks to amazing resources on Mises.org, Austrian economics, Tom Woods, Ron Paul and others) my cooperating teachers cannot believe how much content knowledge I have. Right now I see 90 7th grade students everyday. I have just finished a unit on the Cold War. Last Friday (the day after the exam on the Cold War and the day before our glorious Spring Break) my teacher gave me free reign to teach material that would link the Cold War to Civil Rights. I taught a lesson on GUNS and BUTTER in the 1960s and 1970s and how Nixon removed the Gold Standard. By the end of the day I had 90 seventh grade students understand the dangers and excesses of fiat currency. These (7th GRADE!) students understand what grown adults cannot. Not only were the students aware of our Crisis, with excess of $110 trillion dollars in obligations and debts, they also were horrified that we are in 150 countries around the world and they understand why their money is losing its value. One kid goes ”I feel like were playing one giant game of monopoly!” to which I replied “And you know how that game ends, right?”

Education should be our number one goal. But in addition to education we need to develop a game plan for how we are going to attack each level of government and turn the power centers of government back into the hands of the liberty minded.

If there are any history or Social Studies teachers out there, we need to develop a network to share idea, units, and lessons that enable us to spread the message of liberty in the easiest way possible for the masses to swallow. Non-teachers need to get in PTO or PTA meetings, get your butts to back-to-school-nights, talk with your teachers, and get them educated.

In general, we need to examine the best ways to make the most significant changes to the Federal Government, State Governments, Local governments, our communities, our families, and ourselves. All are levels of government and all must be addressed. We cannot change the entire Federal government; we need to focus on the matters that are truly important.

We need to think about Libya and how this is going to affect how we combat the statists. What is their goal in Libya and how can we bring people to our side? I think I have come up with a way to bring the Neo-Cons to our side.

We need to vote with our feet and move to States that have the most chance of moving toward liberty. We need these States defined for all to see.

As someone who as thought long and hard about these issues (as I know many people here have) I will subsequently post my ideas for what we need to do and hopefully we can bounce idea off each other. Once we have a plan we can figure out who we need to contact and the best ways to push our ideas. Thanks for your time. Send me a message if you have any plans in particular.

For Liberty,

Gumba

romacox
03-31-2011, 05:02 PM
you speak as if from my own heart. For many years I have provided curriculum and free lesson plans to homeschool families. However I did not pay enough attention to the Constitution, but am now studying it by researching the oldest documents I can get my hands on because I find they are much less influenced by the progressive movement.

As I learn I am posting my findings on the web, and have gleaned much information from people on the Ron Paul Forums.

http://educators-space.blogspot.com/p/sight-map-of-articles.html

Travlyr
03-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Excellent. Very excellent. Glad to have you here. :)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
03-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Welcome to the forums Gumba. I think you will find many people here who share your passion for knowledge and spreading that knowledge to anyone that will listen. Some of us are teachers or recovering teachers and will be able to share a lot of things with you. I look forward to many stimulating conversations and of course chat is always open for some good discussions.

Gumba of Liberty
03-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. Its so nice to to hear from fellow educators (we are all educators) that understand liberty. In the next few days, as this is my Spring Break, I am going to think about and posting some ideas I have and some lesson plans I have already posted. For Remove of the International Gold Standard I used this video called GoldNomics. Don't know if you've seen it yet on youtube but the kids loved it. Great message and music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HaqwFJj4ZY

mczerone
03-31-2011, 06:15 PM
We need to vote with our feet and move to States that have the most chance of moving toward liberty. We need these States defined for all to see.

Though you've probably heard of it, no one has yet mentioned the Free State Project (http://freestateproject.org/). They are already making great progress and there have only been 800 official "movers" to New Hampshire.

And welcome! Well-adjusted professionals always make a good addition to the community.

Gumba of Liberty
03-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Though you've probably heard of it, no one has yet mentioned the Free State Project (http://freestateproject.org/). They are already making great progress and there have only been 800 official "movers" to New Hampshire.

And welcome! Well-adjusted professionals always make a good addition to the community.

Yes, I have indeed heard about the Free State project and it sounds like a fabulous idea. My idea, which I want to post on the general forum in order to gather an array of opinions is to open the discussion up to a broader topic. What makes a State worth moving to for a lover of liberty? Texas and New Hampshire are obviously two of the top movers and shakers but what of the remaining 48?

We need some characteristics that make States more independent than others. I believe that three major factors are involved. As I taught my 12th graders (in my last Student teaching placement) three vital characteristics of State sovereignty are an independent currency, an independent militia, and low (or NO) debt. While no State in the Union has all three of these components, the best place to look are States that are treading in that direction. States with:

A. Low Gun Restrictions and Firearm Freedom Acts
B. Bills Introduced (or passed) to have Gold and Silver as legal tender
C. Low Debt and a small parasitic class.

In that case States like:

Texas
New Hampshire
Alaska
Montana
Utah
Virginia
North Carolina
Tennessee
Arizona
Vermont

are good destinations. We need to have a intellectual discussion about where its best to be geographically located during the collapse. But Like Texas and New Hampshire which has secession and revolution built into their Constitutions, Virginia has similar language in the preamble of the Virginia Ratification Convention of 1788:

"We the Delegates of the People of Virginia duly elected in pursuance of a recommendation from the General Assembly and now met in Convention having fully and freely investigated and discussed the proceedings of the Federal Convention and being prepared as well as the most mature deliberation hath enabled us to decide thereon Do in the name and in behalf of the People of Virginia declare and make known that the powers granted under the Constitution being derived from the People of the United States may be resumed by them whensoever the same shall be perverted to their injury or oppression and that every power not granted thereby remains with them and at their will: that therefore no right of any denomination can be cancelled abridged restrained or modified by the Congress by the Senate or House of Representatives acting in any Capacity by the President or any Department or Officer of the United States except in those instances in which power is given by the Constitution for those purposes: & that among other essential rights the liberty of Conscience and of the Press cannot be cancelled abridged restrained or modified by any authority of the United States. With these impressions with a solemn appeal to the Searcher of hearts for the purity of our intentions and under the conviction that whatsoever imperfections may exist in the Constitution ought rather to be examined in the mode prescribed therein than to bring the Union into danger by a delay with a hope of obtaining Amendments previous to the Ratification, We the said Delegates in the name and in behalf of the People of Virginia do by these presents assent to and ratify the Constitution recommended on the seventeenth day of September one thousand seven hundred and eighty seven by the Federal Convention for the Government of the United States hereby announcing to all those whom it may concern that the said Constitution is binding upon the said People according to an authentic Copy hereto annexed in the Words following;"

The history of some States lend themselves to an easier and more complete move toward liberty. IMO we really need to have this discussion.

heavenlyboy34
03-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Great work, Gumba! I hope folks take your suggestions about education to heart. I've been trying to tell people that for many moons, and only a few seem to listen. Welcome to the forums, btw! :)