PDA

View Full Version : 2007 West Point Study: Main Libyan rebel region = Al Qaeda's main suicide recruiting area

jmdrake
03-31-2011, 10:40 AM
http://www.americanpendulum.com/2011/03/2007-west-point-study-shows-libyan-rebels-come-from-main-al-qaeda-suicide-bomber-recruitment/

Something to consider the next time someone says all the protesters in Libya were "peaceful".

madfoot
03-31-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't like the fearmongering of "rebels are terroristz!", but these questions definitely need to be asked.

Imperial
03-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Of course Al Qaeda would recruit in the areas most repressd by Qaddafi. I thought it was clear by now that authoritarian dictators provided the best fodder for terrorists to radicalize people.

acptulsa
03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
You mean the kind of authoritarian dictators who assume the sole authority to declare war at will?

Aratus
03-31-2011, 10:52 AM
they leave their nation-state, get a bootcamp experiance and
then aim at a foreign gov't or ultimately their own home? is
this part of the cycle where the gov'ts knew of the recruitment?

jmdrake
03-31-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't like the fearmongering of "rebels are terroristz!", but these questions definitely need to be asked.

Forget the label "terrorist". Can we agree that Al Qaeda isn't peaceful? And if the main opposition in Libya was drawn from an Al Qaeda stronghold, then maybe, just maybe, the protests weren't as "peaceful" as we were originally led to believe?

Of course Al Qaeda would recruit in the areas most repressd by Qaddafi. I thought it was clear by now that authoritarian dictators provided the best fodder for terrorists to radicalize people.

Yes. Qaddafi is a prick. And his being a prick does provide a fertile ground for radical recruiting. But note these radicals weren't blowing up stuff in Libya in 2007. They were crossing into Iraq and blowing up U.S. troops. And anyway, my whole point is that it's more than a stretch at this point to continue to claim the Libyan movement was peaceful from its inception and only became "radicalized" when Qaddafi engaged them.

HOLLYWOOD
11-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Bump this thread for the Al CIAda recruitment center sending weapons and terrorists to Syria.