PDA

View Full Version : opinion article: The Constitutional Hypocrisy of Ron Paul

muzzled dogg
03-31-2011, 09:34 AM
The Constitutional hypocrisy of Ron Paul
By DOUG THOMPSON

Ron Paul: Ignore the Constitution if it suits your purpose
Fringe Republican Congressman Ron Paul‘s rabid supporters often cite his belief and knowledge of the U.S. Constitution as reasons for their cult-like support of he and his son, freshman Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.
So what’s the great Constitutional scholar up to now?* Returning to his racist past by advocating nullification of the Constitution by states that disagree with federal laws.
This regresses the nation back by nearly a half-century to the days of the Southern Manifesto, a racist document designed to allow states to avoid integration and civil rights.
This is the same Ron Paul whose newsletters once published racist rants under his name — although he claims now he didn’t write or approve the columns that ran with his by-line — and he joins his equally-racist son, who claimed during last year’s campaign that businesses that serve the public — like restaurants — should be able to ignore the law and refuse to serve minorities.
In a speech to a homeschooling rally, Paul told the faithful that “in principal, nullification is proper and moral and constitutional.”
Added Paul:
The chances of us getting things changed around soon through the legislative process is not all the good. And that is why I am a strong endorser of the nullification movement, that states like this should just nullify these laws. And in principle, nullification is proper and moral and constitutional, which I believe it is, there is no reason in the world why this country can’t look at the process of, say, not only should we not belong to the United Nations, the United Nations comes down hard on us, telling us what we should do to our families and family values, education and medical care and gun rights and environmentalism. Let’s nullify what the UN tries to tell us to do as well.
In other words, if regressives like Paul can’t get his way in Congress — and he seldom does — just ignore the constitution and returns to the days of the Old South when Alabama and other states thought slavery and repression was still legal in this nation.
This is typical for Paul, who has never strayed far from his racist philosophies of the past. And the comments of his son suggest Rand learned well from his dad’s out-of-sync philosophies.
“If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be,” said a column which appeared under Paul’s name in 1992.
“Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the `criminal justice system,’ I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal,” said another column published under his name that same year.
This is why Ron Paul remains on the fringe with the vast majority of Americans. Despite lofty visions of his small — but vocal — army of brainwashed supporters, he received just one-half of one percent of the vote as the Libertarian candidate for President in 1996 and finished last among four contenders for the GOP nomination for President in 2008.
When he suspended his run for President, Paul diverted the $4.7 million raised from donation by the faithful — but gullible — to the Campaign for Liberty, one of his many ultra right-wing advocacy groups. This is a familiar pattern for Paul. Use a national Presidential campaign to raise money and then use the money for something else. While technically legal it does raise questions about his honesty and true intentions.
And while Paul vilifies the “establishment” politicians of other parties, his advocacy of the nullification movement suggests he is just as hypocritical as the rest.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/40111

Travlyr
03-31-2011, 09:42 AM
Authors who write stupid crap like this are clueless! I just want to shout WE HAVE THE INTERNET! Writing stupid assed articles will get you placed on the ignore you list along with Ed "The Clown" Schultz.

bwlibertyman
03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Wow. This person doesn't understand what nullification is. Nullification doesn't violate the constitution. It merely is an act of nullifying unconstitutional laws. Apparently this guy doesn't read Tom Woods. Big fail!

Chester Copperpot
03-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah Doug Thompson has a lot of credibility...

This is the same guy who announced to the world that George W. Bush said "The Constitution is just a God-damned piece of paper".. but then when forced to show his source backpedaled and said it didnt happen.

Feeding the Abscess
03-31-2011, 09:45 AM
There's a similar one on ThinkProgress.

jmdrake
03-31-2011, 09:45 AM
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they attack you, then you win.

Chester Copperpot
03-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Time to win mother fuckers!

Eat Liberty and die you damned statists

Jack Bauer
03-31-2011, 09:49 AM
First they ignore you,

1988-2004

then they laugh at you,

then they attack you,

then you win.

President elect Rand Paul. Year 2016.

You heard it here first.

idirtify
03-31-2011, 09:50 AM
The article is based on a non-sequitur; that if you are for nullification of bad law, it means you are a racist.

dean.engelhardt
03-31-2011, 09:51 AM
The 10th amendment is unconstitutional and racist? Who would have thunk?

bwlibertyman
03-31-2011, 09:51 AM
I can't take it.

Rand's argument was about property rights, not racism. Anyone who listened knows that.

You can't fault a man for something he didn't write or endorse.

The states created the federal government not the other way around. The supremacy clause only is valid for constitutional laws. Nullification is clearly constitutional. Any unconstitutional law can be nullified by the states.

THE SOUTHERN STATES WERE AGAINST NULLIFICATION. I mean are you kidding me? I can't take it.

Chester Copperpot
03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
I can't take it.

Rand's argument was about property rights, not racism. Anyone who listened knows that.

You can't fault a man for something he didn't write or endorse.

The states created the federal government not the other way around. The supremacy clause only is valid for constitutional laws. Nullification is clearly constitutional. Any unconstitutional law can be nullified by the states.

THE SOUTHERN STATES WERE AGAINST NULLIFICATION. I mean are you kidding me? I can't take it.

Jedi Mind Trick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjaUoR15dU

TNforPaul45
03-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Wow. You dont get much more uneducated or slanderous than that article. That should be printed up and posted on the wall of every Campaign for Liberty and YAL office on really big paper with the words "this is what we are fighting against" over and under it.

Southron
03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
I guess they had enough trying to debate issues on their merits and decided to fall back to tactics that are proven to work-start calling people racists.

crazyfacedjenkins
03-31-2011, 10:03 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHH!!! Was this written by an angry 12-year old? Priceless

acptulsa
03-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Constitutional nullification? Like when we go to war without bothering to let Congress declare it?

Anyone who believes a word of this is working awfully, awfully hard to ignore their own stupidity. Who is gullible? Capitolhillblue fans and...

bwlibertyman
03-31-2011, 10:07 AM
What makes me mad is that he says that Ron Paul only follows the constitution when it fits him. That is so untrue. I can't take it.

acptulsa
03-31-2011, 10:09 AM
What makes me mad is that he says that Ron Paul only follows the constitution when it fits him. That is so untrue. I can't take it.

Well, when his buddy Obama turns out to fit that description, what can a lap dog do except holler, hey, look over there!? Of course if there's nothing to look at 'over there', somebody has set up a nice, big fail.

Feeding the Abscess
03-31-2011, 10:11 AM
h ttp://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/29/ron-paul-nullification/

Comments are pretty funny.

ronpaulhawaii
03-31-2011, 10:20 AM
More from the same author almost 10 years ago:

I wrote the column called "The Madman of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue," which generated a lot of comment on this bulletin board. As noted in the writer's note that appears at the beginning of Wednesday's column, it was something that should not have been written. I violated my own rule of writing while dealing with emotions of something unrelated to the topic of the column (in this case, the anniversary of the death of a loved one). It was wrong and should not have happened. But it did and for that I apologize.
--Doug Thompson
Publisher
Capitol Hill Blue

1 posted on Wed Feb 26 2003 00:06:24 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) by Doug Thompson
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Doug Thompson
Translation: My editor smacked me upside the head and told me to do some damage control. Sorry boss.
2 posted on Wed Feb 26 2003 00:11:50 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) by smokeyjon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/851965/posts

lol

ds21089
03-31-2011, 10:24 AM
First they ignore you,

1988-2004

then they laugh at you

2007-2011

then they attack you

2007-2011

then you win.

President elect Ron Paul. Year 2012.

You heard it here first.

Fixed :D

freshjiva
03-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Let's forget about this writer's ignorance, and highlight some glaring factual errors:

The Constitutional hypocrisy of Ron Paul
By DOUG THOMPSON

Ron Paul: Ignore the Constitution if it suits your purpose

So what’s the great Constitutional scholar up to now?* Returning to his racist past by advocating nullification of the Constitution by states that disagree with federal laws.

This regresses the nation back by nearly a half-century to the days of the Southern Manifesto, a racist document designed to allow states to avoid integration and civil rights.

In other words, if regressives like Paul can’t get his way in Congress — and he seldom does — just ignore the constitution and returns to the days of the Old South when Alabama and other states thought slavery and repression was still legal in this nation.

This is why Ron Paul remains on the fringe with the vast majority of Americans. Despite lofty visions of his small — but vocal — army of brainwashed supporters, he received just one-half of one percent of the vote as the Libertarian candidate for President in 1996 and finished last among four contenders for the GOP nomination for President in 2008.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/40111

Not sure where he gets these opinions, but never has Ron Paul advocated nullifying the Constitution.

Not sure where he gets these opinions, but never has Ron Paul advocated the Southern Manifesto, which institutionalizes and mandates, by law, segregation and other racist practices. That, by default, is unconstitutional and Ron/Rand has backed this notion.

Not sure where he gets these opinions, but Ron Paul did not run as the Libertarian Candidate for President in 1996.

Not sure where he gets these opinions, but last I checked, there were 7 candidates for the Republican nomination for President (Giuliani, Romney, McCain, Hunter, Huckabee, Thompson, and Paul) of which Ron finished in 4th place.

Now that we clarified the factual errors... :D

ronpaulhawaii
03-31-2011, 11:22 AM
From Facebook:

Doug Thompson has a very poor reputation and the readership of his website has been falling dramatically.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/capitolhillblue.com

You can see that it has lost 23% over the past 3 months.

Many, many major and minor media outlets have discovered that if you want to see traffic soar, run something about Ron Paul. If you REALLY want to make them soar, make sure it includes plenty of libelous accusations.

Since this article was published traffic has jumped 10%. LOL. Doug knows the score. He’s an opportunist.

acptulsa
03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
The Wonkette Syndrome.

nobody's_hero
03-31-2011, 11:55 AM
While technically legal it does raise questions about his honesty and true intentions.
And while Paul vilifies the “establishment” politicians of other parties, his advocacy of the nullification movement suggests he is just as hypocritical as the rest.
Even if the author were right (which he is not, and furthermore, he's painted Ron as being only against the democratic party establishment rather than the whole establishment), it sure did take him a long time to make his point that politicians are hypocrites.

NewRightLibertarian
03-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Some of these comments are infuriating on that ThinkProgress website. What a bunch of worthless, arrogant scum. Don't they realize they've scrapped the constitution and nullification could end up saving the public from total tyranny? It's always the same 'libertarians don't win popularity contests and never can get elected' (even though they're somehow responsible for all this public policy that's been passed), 'libertarians would sell us out to the evil corporations' (which has already happened) and bullshit about the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as if that's applicable to today's situation.