PDA

View Full Version : One Small Point About Libya Not Being Mentioned

Captain Shays
03-31-2011, 08:05 AM
I know there are already a lot of threads about Libya and I apologize for starting a new thread just to make one minor point. But no one is mentioning it at all. Not here. Not in the media and non of the politicians mention it.
After Gadaffe gave up all of his plans for WMDs our country under the Bush administration took Libya OFF the list of terrorist sponsoring nations yet we keep hearing about how Libya killed all the people on the Lockerby flight. How "he killed Americans" yet that was ALL BEFORE we took them off the terrorist list.
If that is the case, then we are all either double talking liars, or we're just crazy, or we're being lied to.
This should not be an issue that is used as a pretext for starting a war in Libya. Same old crap. Nebulous and nondescript reason for invading another country and going to war and not even calling it war. Same story different geography and different faces. Instead of photoshop we now have warshop.

moostraks
03-31-2011, 08:09 AM
I know there are already a lot of threads about Libya and I apologize for starting a new thread just to make one minor point. But no one is mentioning it at all. Not here. Not in the media and non of the politicians mention it.
After Gadaffe gave up all of his plans for WMDs our country under the Bush administration took Libya OFF the list of terrorist sponsoring nations yet we keep hearing about how Libya killed all the people on the Lockerby flight. How "he killed Americans" yet that was ALL BEFORE we took them off the terrorist list.
If that is the case, then we are all either double talking liars, or we're just crazy, or we're being lied to.
This should not be an issue that is used as a pretext for starting a war in Libya. Same old crap. Nebulous and nondescript reason for invading another country and going to war and not even calling it war. Same story different geography and different faces. Instead of photoshop we now have warshop.

Someone here did mention it but it is buried in the dozens of threads on this topic and I can't remember where or to whom to give the credit. I do recall seeing it discussed here, albeit briefly, though.:)

acptulsa
03-31-2011, 08:09 AM
Once upon a time France wouldn't give us permission to fly over their territory on our way to bomb Libya Now they're the ones getting us into this mess, or ostensibly so.

The only real change I've heard of to get Qaddafi back on the $#!+list was a plan to pass the Lockerbee fine along to oil companies doing business in the country.

Icymudpuppy
03-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Believe it or not, Ann Coulter just did a huge write-up on exactly this topic just today.

Captain Shays
03-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Believe it or not, Ann Coulter just did a huge write-up on exactly this topic just today.

No way! I'll check it out. Thanks for the replies. I wonder what her take on this is. Of course partisan but one never knows which way that will spin

nate895
03-31-2011, 09:50 AM
Even if we never took Libya off the "terrorist-sponsoring nations" list, we could not use the Lockerbie bombings as a casus belli. The bombings happened over twenty years ago, and we chose to do nothing about them in that time. A casus belli only lasts so long before it is no longer a justification for war. It might be cause to be weary of another country's intentions or become part of a cause for war after other offenses (a "long train of abuses"), but it cannot be cause for war in and of itself.

Edit: It cannot be used as a justification for a "kinetic military action" either.

Chester Copperpot
03-31-2011, 09:50 AM
And in case anybody is interested.. Years ago (before he got locked up) Congressman Jim Trafficant exposed the Pan Am Flight 103 incident as a CIA drug deal gone bad. Just letting y'all know.