PDA

View Full Version : Cash For Clunkers 2? It's Coming

FrankRep
03-30-2011, 05:41 PM
http://thenewamerican.com/images/stories2011/10aMarch/gmvolt-t.001.jpg

Though the first Cash for Clunkers program failed, the federal government is now launching Cash for Clunkers 2, this time for “green vehicles,” much to the delight of General Motors.

Cash For Clunkers 2? It's Coming (http://thenewamerican.com/economy/sectors-mainmenu-46/6912-cash-for-clunkers-2-its-coming)

Raven Clabough | The New American (http://thenewamerican.com/)
30 March 2011

Related Articles:

2009 - More Corporate Welfare: "Cash For Clunkers" (http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/congress/1223)

2009 - Cash for Clunkers Is a Failure (http://www.thenewamerican.com/opinion/950-bob-confer/1558-cash-for-clunkers-is-a-failure)

2009 - Did "Cash for Clunkers" Cost Taxpayers $24,000 Per Car Sold? (http://www.thenewamerican.com/economy/sectors-mainmenu-46/2210-did-cash-for-clunkers-cost-taxpayers-24000-per-car-sold)

sluggo
03-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah, last "Cash for Clunkers" did nothing but wipeout the number of affordable used cars on the market.

Good job, government. Maybe you can kill it off altogether next time around.

VBRonPaulFan
03-30-2011, 06:46 PM
it only qualified for cars with <= 18 mpg... i don't think a ton of people were running out to buy used expeditions/firebirds...

(it was still a stupid fuckin' program)

1836er
03-30-2011, 07:03 PM
it only qualified for cars with <= 18 mpg... i don't think a ton of people were running out to buy used expeditions/firebirds...

I bought a used '99 Firebird last year! It's the first used car I've gone with since I was a teenager, and though I've still got some work to do to get it into awesome shape, I love it. Being the standard V6 version (3.8L manual) it gets pretty decent mileage all things considered (by my rough estimations I'm getting about 21 mpg).

Anti Federalist
03-30-2011, 07:05 PM

Doesn't look like an Expedition to me.

The top rated comment on the video is a hoot too. ;)

Top Comments
Fucking insanity. A perfectly serviceable vehicle destroyed, and in the process of destroying it, probably gave off more emissions than if the vehicle was run for another couple of years providing transportation for someone.

What's next? We all burn down our houses to make work for home builders?
AntiFederalist1 2 months ago 30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0IcIxhd8ks&feature=related

low preference guy
03-30-2011, 07:08 PM
creation is destruction

VBRonPaulFan
03-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Doesn't look like an Expedition to me.

The top rated comment on the video is a hoot too.

my point being was mostly that you can't sit here and say this totally crushed the used car market, because it really only targeted a niche. and once the price of gas shot up in the early/mid 2000's, people weren't exactly running out to buy cars that got less than 20 mpg. i'm not knocking those kinds of cars, because they have their purposes or some are fun to drive (like an LS1 firebird... mmm). but people are knee-jerk reactionary to gas prices, and suddenly everyone wanted honda civics/toyota corollas/nissan sentras/etc.

i do think it was a huge waste of cash and resources though. no point in blowing up a running car just for the sake of it.

VBRonPaulFan
03-30-2011, 07:43 PM
I bought a used '99 Firebird last year! It's the first used car I've gone with since I was a teenager, and though I've still got some work to do to get it into awesome shape, I love it. Being the standard V6 version (3.8L manual) it gets pretty decent mileage all things considered (by my rough estimations I'm getting about 21 mpg).

non-v8 firebirds make me cry inside..... lol. i love the body style, but it's too big of a car for me to buy/drive. i'm used to little honda's.

AZKing
03-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Ugh. I was talking to a small used car lot dealer when I was looking for a car, and I almost threw up over the thought of destroying perfectly good cars. Just look through YouTube. Tons of perfectly good vans that could have been given to a needy family got destroyed. Tons of perfectly good trucks that could have been given to a guy trying to start his construction business got blown up.

Disgusting. They were just blown up for the sake of getting blown up. If Obama really wanted to spread the wealth around, he could have helped some people get cheap cars. Instead, we just destroy it so no one can use it.

Carehn
03-30-2011, 07:57 PM
edit - No i missed the 1st part of the comment.

fisharmor
03-30-2011, 08:00 PM
my point being was mostly that you can't sit here and say this totally crushed the used car market, because it really only targeted a niche. and once the price of gas shot up in the early/mid 2000's, people weren't exactly running out to buy cars that got less than 20 mpg. i'm not knocking those kinds of cars, because they have their purposes or some are fun to drive (like an LS1 firebird... mmm). but people are knee-jerk reactionary to gas prices, and suddenly everyone wanted honda civics/toyota corollas/nissan sentras/etc.

i do think it was a huge waste of cash and resources though. no point in blowing up a running car just for the sake of it.

So, I'm guessing you don't have a large family.

I'm also guessing that you don't subcontract in construction, move a lot of A/V equipment on a regular basis, operate any kind of shuttle, work in landscaping, or do any other sort of work which requires a large truck - the type that absolutely did qualify for the program.
Hopefully you can see that all of those activities cost more money to undertake now, because the vehicles that are absolutely required for them are not as plentiful.

It wasn't just foolish. It was harmful.

Carehn
03-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Ugh. I was talking to a small used car lot dealer when I was looking for a car, and I almost threw up over the thought of destroying perfectly good cars. Just look through YouTube. Tons of perfectly good vans that could have been given to a needy family got destroyed. Tons of perfectly good trucks that could have been given to a guy trying to start his construction business got blown up.

Disgusting. They were just blown up for the sake of getting blown up. If Obama really wanted to spread the wealth around, he could have helped some people get cheap cars. Instead, we just destroy it so no one can use it.

I just want to +1 this as ive seen people do.
Its utterly disgusting isn't it?

VBRonPaulFan
03-30-2011, 08:19 PM
So, I'm guessing you don't have a large family.

I'm also guessing that you don't subcontract in construction, move a lot of A/V equipment on a regular basis, operate any kind of shuttle, work in landscaping, or do any other sort of work which requires a large truck - the type that absolutely did qualify for the program.
Hopefully you can see that all of those activities cost more money to undertake now, because the vehicles that are absolutely required for them are not as plentiful.

It wasn't just foolish. It was harmful.

there are still more than enough large suv's/trucks/family sedan's to go around. people can't get rid of them anymore. i agree with you that it was wasteful both in terms of dollars and resources, i don't agree with someone else that it totally crushed the used car market.