PDA

View Full Version : The Ron Paul crowd won some crucial seats at the Nashville GOP county reorganization

BarryDonegan
03-30-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm a bit busy with work to talk specifics, but we definitely have our guy Dan Davis in as First Vice Chair, he was Second Vice Chair before, and he won the old contested "The Collins" seat ironically by acclamation.

Also, Brent Pierce picked up regional vice chair. Some other non-libertarian but very fair people won some seats as well. It was a big win, though it wasn't controversial or messy.

I would like to thank Matt Collins for busting down this door and helping us win our first seats back in '09, whatever the controversy that might have followed, as we now have real relationships of friendship with people from all over the GOP, we have a small l Republican and C4L member in Kerry Roberts elected to the State Senate, and the party backed our small l candidate Steve Dickerson hard during the last election and will again. Matt wasn't able to be in attendance this time as he had a death in the family, and my heart goes out to him and his family in this tough time, but we were able to pull it out and he was instrumental in helping get people out this time as well.

While the libertarian community may have some snags time to time with the GOP in Tennessee, we are now considered to be a part of the community rather than outsiders, and our voice is considered and our people get elected.

Win. Winning.

For Liberty.

For the record, my 2-year term as Director at Large for the Davidson County Republican Party just ended, and my decision to not seek reelection feels right now that I know the board is in good hands.

I'm eyeing a city council run myself in the future, whether in 2011 or 2015, I'm not sure though. I'm planning a huge blockbuster blog about my experience as the punk-rock libertarian county party GOP elected official that bridged the cultural divide to help start the "Eggs and Bacon" summits that helped us organize a libertarian and conservative coalition against encroachment from Washington DC. Many of the people I have been befriending all this time have changed their views since then.

Long story short is this: run for positions in your local GOP. Anyone can. I'm a punk rock singer and online music service founder and would have never thought I could have fit in. I did, and everything worked out really well. I enjoyed my time with the Davidson County GOP and will still help out from here on out when it makes sense. I hope others will find this encouraging.

:) I'll blog about the whole thing in great detail in the future.

eduardo89
03-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Awesome post

sailingaway
03-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Yea, Nashville!

Sola_Fide
03-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Nashville is my second favorite city after Louisville:)

low preference guy
03-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Nashville is my second favorite city after Louisville:)

I know nothing about Louisville. Would you share what you like about it?

Sola_Fide
03-30-2011, 05:51 PM
I know nothing about Louisville. Would you share what you like about it?

A great music scene, a great art scene, very rich history...people from Louisville really like being from Louisville.

Louisville is very independent. It is like a progressive little nook that still has its southern charm. It is the perfect mix of big city/small city.

Agorism
03-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Win a majority?

Joey Fuller
03-30-2011, 06:33 PM
check out the cool music that the aforementioned libertarian crowd from Nashville is making:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJX36Mp41oY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oElTXIY6S9Q

Imperial
03-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Congratulations!

BarryDonegan
03-31-2011, 01:04 AM
Thanks! We have worked very hard to build inroads. We also definitely gained a Director at Large seat in the Rutherford County GOP. We have a couple people on the State Executive Committee as well. It's pretty much considered mainstream for TN Republican politicians to appeal to libertarians.