PDA

View Full Version : First GOP debate postponed

muzzled dogg
03-30-2011, 09:13 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/52200.html

Zatch
03-30-2011, 09:33 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20048744-503544.html

In an unusual move, the coveted first debate of the 2012 presidential primary season is being rescheduled. The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation announced that it is moving its "Reagan Centennial GOP Presidential Primary Candidates Debate" from May 2 to Sept. 14, 2011.

This means the first debate of the 2012 season will be a few days later, May 5, as FOX News and the Republican Party of South Carolina host candidates and potential candidates to a forum in that important early primary state. The South Carolina Republican Party tells CBS News that their debate is happening as scheduled.

Matt Collins
03-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Ok, so this doesn't actually change much of anything.

Kludge
03-30-2011, 09:45 AM
So Fox News will be in charge of selecting candidates for the first GOP debate................? Greeeeat....................... >.>

fisharmor
03-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Hold on, there's going to be an election?
Wasn't expecting that, to tell the truth.

sailingaway
03-30-2011, 09:56 AM
I thought this was happening...there was some buzz that it might.

sailingaway
03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
So Fox News will be in charge of selecting candidates for the first GOP debate................? Greeeeat....................... >.>

Yeah. I don't think they'd push Ron out after winning CPAC and the stink last time, though. Not for the first debate, or they'd have to push out a ton of people. He's polling 4th or 5th across the nation, above a lot of candidates Fox is fairly happy with.

tangent4ronpaul
03-30-2011, 10:00 AM
This actually makes sense - a late start, I mean. The economy sucks and fundraising will be less productive because the economy sucks. Candidates are relying on free air time on cable networks for now.

It probably also has a lot to do with FEC rules.

acptulsa
03-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah. I don't think they'd push Ron out after winning CPAC and the stink last time, though. Not for the first debate, or they'd have to push out a ton of people. He's polling 4th or 5th across the nation, above a lot of candidates Fox is fairly happy with.

Absolutely not. Rupert knows what he can get away with.

So, expect a lot of questions along the lines of, 'Rep. Paul, why do you want the Libyans to suffer under tyranny?'

georgiaboy
03-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Interesting. Y'know, once our guy announces, I won't have to watch any debates this time around, as my mind is made up already when it comes to voting in my state's primary. How closed minded of me.

So I got that going for me. Which is nice. :)

TNforPaul45
03-30-2011, 10:13 AM
They are going to Gun for Ron Paul as soon as they say "Welcome to the debate. . ." Ron Paul Campaign (I know your'e out there), if you are reading this then you had better get him into daily debate training NOW! He has one chance to take the lead, and a small one at that, with a lot of GOPers with their minds made up for them.

It's time to use their own political tricks and techniques against them, while still retaining our honor and character.

libertybrewcity
03-30-2011, 11:02 AM
not really that surprising.

ds21089
03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Absolutely not. Rupert knows what he can get away with.

So, expect a lot of questions along the lines of, 'Rep. Paul, why do you want the Libyans to suffer under tyranny?'

One thing I can't stand about Ron Paul is that he never says things which could easily win him tons of votes. A rebuttal for that comment could be. (him explain non-intervention foreign policy entangling alliances) then go on to say "With this foreign policy in mind, I received more contributions from military personnel than every other candidate combined. Our troops know what is really happening over there and I stand by them 100%. Our troops are in danger and they are waiting for a president to BRING THEM HOME!!"

He needs to win people over emotionally, too. He can't only rely on logic. If this were a country full of intelligent people, then he would've won last time around. However, you have to cater to peoples' emotions and I think that very statement would do a lot of good in that department.

nayjevin
03-30-2011, 11:52 AM
One thing I can't stand about Ron Paul is that he never says things which could easily win him tons of votes. A rebuttal for that comment could be. (him explain non-intervention foreign policy entangling alliances) then go on to say "With this foreign policy in mind, I received more contributions from military personnel than every other candidate combined. Our troops know what is really happening over there and I stand by them 100%. Our troops are in danger and they are waiting for a president to BRING THEM HOME!!"

He needs to win people over emotionally, too. He can't only rely on logic. If this were a country full of intelligent people, then he would've won last time around. However, you have to cater to peoples' emotions and I think that very statement would do a lot of good in that department.

I agree. Mentioning the website is always good too.

acptulsa
03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah, but it's kind of endearing that he won't brag on himself. Besides, it gives us something to do.

Ekrub
03-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Out-right the right.

Talk about how he supports the troops and the patriotic thing to do is to not have them fighting against irrational Muslims. That rhetoric will surely anger people on this board but it's the kind of rhetoric he needs to use to win over mainstream conservatives. Support the troops, patriotism, irrational Muslims.... Those are the kind of buzz words/phrases that gives your typical "conservative" a chubby.