alien
10-24-2007, 09:58 PM
I know it's a joke that he's running but still interesting

http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/leadershipboard.html?category=16

zumajoe
10-24-2007, 10:27 PM
I know it's a joke that he's running but still interesting

I really have lost all respect for Colbert for this stunt he has been pulling. Our presidency should NOT be a joke.

Bradley in DC
10-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Wahoo! Dr. Paul has more donors than any other Republican! :D

lasenorita
10-24-2007, 10:33 PM
According to ABC, Colbert's Campaign May Run Afoul of the Law (http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=3766656).

Hope
10-24-2007, 10:34 PM
I really have lost all respect for Colbert for this stunt he has been pulling. Our presidency should NOT be a joke.

Agreed.

Richandler
10-24-2007, 10:39 PM

If I'm not mistaken it already is. If someone is a comedian does it make them any less of a candidate for president? No it doesn't. In fact we need less lawyers in Washington. Colbert's stunt is just. I would honestly rather have him win that every other candidate besides Ron.

Salamando
10-24-2007, 11:18 PM

He's only running in one state, its practically impossible for him to win. Also, hes allowed to run if he wants, joke or not.

jonahtrainer
10-24-2007, 11:20 PM

If you don't get his joke then there may be a problem. He is setting the example for his watchers. I for one am seriously considering following his example and running for Congress in my District. As the title of his new book obviously shows.

I have been crunching the numbers (voter registration, turnout, etc.) to figure out how realistic it'll be. I think I may have a really good shot if my Meetups will help me.

ACJohn
10-24-2007, 11:24 PM
nothing new:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Paulson

Nash
10-24-2007, 11:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken it already is. If someone is a comedian does it make them any less of a candidate for president? No it doesn't. In fact we need less lawyers in Washington. Colbert's stunt is just. I would honestly rather have him win that every other candidate besides Ron.

There's a pretty far reaching history of celebrities running for office. They even did it throughout the 18th and 19th century.

I mean Sonny Bono was a congressman. Arnold is a governor. Jesse Ventura as well. Ronald Reagan.

Sports stars have held public office too.

A comedian running for office, especially a famous one, is actually not that far out of reach.

Yes he's doing it as a joke, but he's also doing it to prove a point.

So I don't really see a problem here.

DeadheadForPaul
10-25-2007, 12:32 AM
There's a pretty far reaching history of celebrities running for office. They even did it throughout the 18th and 19th century.

I mean Sonny Bono was a congressman. Arnold is a governor. Jesse Ventura as well. Ronald Reagan.

Sports stars have held public office too.

A comedian running for office, especially a famous one, is actually not that far out of reach.

Yes he's doing it as a joke, but he's also doing it to prove a point.

So I don't really see a problem here.

Hell, Al Franken is probably going to run for Senate. what are his qualifications? What were Arnold's?

DrNoZone
10-25-2007, 08:25 AM

I have mad respect for what he's doing. He plays an important role in our public discourse.

werdd
10-25-2007, 08:29 AM
colbert has some legal trouble apparently, they might not even let him run now

Drknows
10-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Is he going to announce the results on his show?

SewrRatt
10-25-2007, 12:41 PM

Colbert agrees, but it IS a joke, and that's why he's satirizing it.

jacmicwag
10-25-2007, 12:42 PM
But doesn't he take our vote (young people) away from Ron and, as a result, help the other GOP candidates. Maybe he'll surprise us and at the last moment throw his support to RP thus giving us victory in S. Carolina.

billv
10-25-2007, 12:46 PM

I like the idea of his "campaign". I love it anytime people try to stick it to "the man", joking or not.

Question_Authority
10-25-2007, 12:54 PM
I would honestly rather have him win that every other candidate besides Ron.

I absolutely agree with you!

deedles
10-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Agreed.

Oh, people have always done this. There was that guy from Laugh-in (google it if you're too young to know what that is:) named Pat Paulsen (son?). He ran for President several times...

Hope
10-25-2007, 01:25 PM
I don't think people understand my objections. Just because a celebrity runs for office does NOT make it a joke. One doesn't have to have a law degree to be taken seriously in politics...if that were the case, Dr. Paul would be out of luck. The celebrities who run for office are still, 99% of the time, doing so because they truly believe they have good ideas and they can do some good.

I'm aware that Colbert thinks it's a joke and that he thinks he's "sticking it to the man." But it's a bad joke and the truth is that he's not sticking it to anybody -- it's just a cheap publicity stunt that could potentially fuck things up in South Carolina. Do you think that because it's a Southern state that no one watches the Colbert Report or that potential votes will be taken away from Ron because people are obsessed with this dog and pony show instead?

His joke candidacy is even worse than the adolescent mentality that one is somehow "sticking it to the man" to not vote at all, a flimsy excuse that allows one to sit back and bitch no matter who gets elected. You know, politics has always been ridiculous to some degree and there are real problems with our election system -- but you're letting your admiration of Colbert stand in the way of reason if you really think this is a good thing.

As for it being done before by other comedians, that does not make it any less wrong and one could easily argue that Colbert has unrivelled name recognition among them, which makes it all the more problematic.

ladyliberty
10-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Personally I wish Jon Stewart would run for office - he is always spot-on with his observations.

Steve Colbert was one of the first ones to give Ron Paul a decent interview and allow him to explain his views. I do not think it is wrong for him to announce his candidacy - he is clearly satirizing Fred Thompson's pretence as a reluctant politician. He is now taking far more pot-shots at the other candidates (except Ron Paul) as if he was indeed running against them. He has this campaign all figured out and is using it to great advantage. Right now it IS a crap shoot and any body's guess who will win! I hope he can get the Fred Heads and the other sheeple to stop fooling around and get really serious and actually THINK (ouch that hurt) about who is our only real choice for President.

libertarian4321
10-25-2007, 01:52 PM

Our Presidency has been a joke for years- Ron Paul is our chance to change that!

jumpyg1258
10-25-2007, 02:05 PM

I guess you don't get it yet that our whole political system is a joke right now.

Drknows
10-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey, we're beating the rest of the republican candidates now!