PDA

View Full Version : Why Do People Believe in Conspiracies?

Matt Collins
03-29-2011, 10:48 PM
A skeptic's take on the public's fascination with disinformation:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-people-believe-in-conspiracies

Anti Federalist
03-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Umm, I dunno, because so many have proved to be true?

FrankRep
03-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Conspiracy: An agreement between two or more persons to commit an illegal or unlawful act, or to achieve a legal act but by illegal or unlawful means.

Call me crazy, but this happens quite often.

freshjiva
03-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Because people question authority.

Didn't Jefferson advise that? Maybe he was the first conspiracy theorist. Just sayin... :D

Anti Federalist
03-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Old smear piece is old.

But as former Nixon aide G. Gordon Liddy once told me (and he should know!), the problem with government conspiracies is that bureaucrats are incompetent and people can’t keep their mouths shut. Complex conspiracies are difficult to pull off, and so many people want their quarter hour of fame that even the Men in Black couldn’t squelch the squealers from spilling the beans. So there’s a good chance that the more elaborate a conspiracy theory is, and the more people that would need to be involved, the less likely it is true

God, what horseshit.

Hundreds of vile government actions, "conspiracies" if you must, have remained secret for decades. The history of medical/biological/chemical "Cold War" testing on people and troops still is not very clear, much of what had to finally be admitted by government was only done so because of the release of records from the collapsed USSR. And that's been forty or fifty years now.

Almost always long enough to make sure that the major players and anybody who really cares is long dead.

Vessol
03-29-2011, 11:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods

Matt Collins
03-29-2011, 11:01 PM
God, what horseshit.
I agree it wasn't very well written. I'd like to see a more professional and longer piece on the subject though.

Orgoonian
03-29-2011, 11:03 PM
"The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists".
J. Edgar Hoover

Matt Collins
03-29-2011, 11:13 PM
"The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists".
J. Edgar Hoover
Was it Hitler that said "You must tell a lie so big that people must believe it is real" ??

Anti Federalist
03-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I agree it wasn't very well written. I'd like to see a more professional and longer piece on the subject though.

There have been numerous pieces written on the subject over the years.

Some attempt to take an objective view and honestly try to assess the situation.

Most scoff and mock and mumble into the collectives beards of the establishment and try to dismiss it as unbalanced paranoia.

Over the course of 20th century government killed roughly a quarter of billion people, that we know of, and the establishment has the balls to get up with a straight face and call you nuts for bringing that fact to people's attention and being overly cautious when dealing with anything involving government.

zade
03-29-2011, 11:16 PM
On that article, under the painting on the right it says "Image: Matt Collins." A different Matt Collins I assume?

Vessol
03-29-2011, 11:20 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonkin_Gulf_Incident

Marenco
03-29-2011, 11:23 PM
J. Edgar Hoover

Here is the the full quote of it.

The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists. The American mind simply has not come to a realization of the evil which has been introduced into our midst. It rejects even the assumption that human creatures could espouse a philosophy which must ultimately destroy all that is good and decent. -- J. Edgar Hoover, The Elks Magazine (August 1956)

Source: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._Edgar_Hoover

tpreitzel
03-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Conspiracy: An agreement between two or more persons to commit an illegal or unlawful act, or to achieve a legal act but by illegal or unlawful means.

Indeed. I've quoted similar definitions previously but it does little good. Zoooooooooooooooooooooooooom! :)

pcosmar
03-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Was it Hitler that said "You must tell a lie so big that people must believe it is real" ??

Hitler and Hoover with the same thought. Imagine that.

pcosmar
03-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Why Do People Believe in Conspiracies?
A better question.
With all the documented history of past conspiracies, and present prosecutions and convictions for conspiracy, Why do so many people reject the concept of conspiracy or conspiracy theories?

Romulus
03-30-2011, 09:28 AM
A better question.
With all the documented history of past conspiracies, and present prosecutions and convictions for conspiracy, Why do so many people reject the concept of conspiracy or conspiracy theories?

Because you will be mocked for actually thinking for yourself, and people don't like that. It's easier to go along to get along.

Travlyr
03-30-2011, 10:26 AM

No, you're not crazy. What is crazy is people who dismiss conspiracies in the face of them. Actually, they are not crazy, they are blissfully ignorant for their own peace of mind, are benefiting from the conspiracy, or they just haven't done the research.

As you state, conspiracy is a crime. It is a crime for a good reason because conspiracy is carried out to enrich, or control, one person (or group) at the expense of another. Conspiracy is an immoral act and should remain illegal with serious penalties for engaging in it.

One of the greatest conspiracies of all time was held at Jekyll Island starting out on the night of November 22, 1910 and lasted nine days. The participants understood that they were conspiring against the American people, and yet they had enough influence to keep it quiet during most of their lives. If they had not kept their plans secret, then their plan would have failed, and they would have been imprisoned or perhaps hanged according to the penalty for debasing currency outlined in the Coinage Act of 1792.

Here are the participants:

Senator Nelson Aldrich with his private secretary, Sheldon
Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, A. Piatt Andrew
Frank Vanderlip, President of the National City Bank of New York
Henry P. Davidson, senior partner J.P. Morgan Company
Charles D. Norton, President of the First National Bank of New York
Benjamin Strong, lieutenant of J.P. Morgan Company
Paul M. Warburg, self-proclaimed international banker and recent immigrant to the U.S.

Some of the participants admitted their crime before they hit their deathbeds, but they did not admit that it was a crime... it was a "conference."

Eustace Mullins shares this information with us in his book, "The Secrets of the Federal Reserve"

Paul M. Warburg writes in The Federal Reserve System, Its Origin and Growth; Volume I, page 60 Macmillian, New York, 1930.

"The results of the conference were entirely confidential. Even the fact there had been a meeting was not permitted to become public." He adds in a footnote, "Though eighteen years have gone by, I do not feel free to give a description of this most interesting conference concerning which Senator Aldrich pledged all participants to secrecy."

While not all conspiracy theories are true, conspiracy deniers are ZZZZZ.... zzzzzzz.

AuH20
03-30-2011, 10:29 AM
The conspiracy industry is flooded with ridiculous conspiracies for this very reason. It's easier to muddy the waters with the unexplainable than to actually attempt to refute events backed by real documentation and research.

Romulus
03-30-2011, 10:33 AM
The conspiracy industry is flooded with ridiculous conspiracies for this very reason. It's easier to muddy the waters with the unexplainable than actually try to refute events backed by real documentation and research.

Yup.

Freedom 4 all
03-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Just as timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty, intellectual cowards will always prefer a comforting lie to a troubling truth.

Honestly this shit pisses me off so much. I know a ton of people who refuse to even believe in "conspiracy theories" that the government ADMITTED TO. They will say things like MK Ultra or the use of psychiatric hospitalization as a tool to suppress political opponents are conspiracy theories. Then when I try to freaking explain the situation, they will walk away and say they don't want to talk about it. I actually try to avoid talking about this kind of stuff with some people now because it is clear they will NEVER get it. Not even when it's their head on the chopping block.

ds21089
03-30-2011, 10:39 AM
What ticks me off the most is when people claim "oh it's a conspiracy theory. you're crazy" yet never have ANY solid evidence to disprove them. They just claim they are crazy and leave it at that. It's just like "Ron Paul isn't electable"..of course he is, but care to explain as to why? You wont get a truthful answer.

People whom are quick to write-off any conspiracy without fact-checking, in my opinion, are closed-minded people. Obviously I mean anything with any sort of reasoning and not a spaghetti monster from outer space is coming for our brains.

sofia
03-30-2011, 10:42 AM

Yes...But that Hitler quote is always taken of context.

He was actually accusing the "Jewish Press" of using the Big Lie technique.

AdamT
03-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Maybe seeing Building 7 collapse for no reason while resembling a controlled demolition, while Rummy saying he's never heard of Building 7 on Mancow? Nothing to see here folks. #scratchingthesurface

sofia
03-30-2011, 10:45 AM
ever notice how the same people who ridicule conspiracy theories are ALWAYS the first ones to blindly swallow conspiracy theories spun by the government/media complex?

For example, when Libya claims that US/NATO has killed civilians, our gov/media complex accuses Qaddaffi of planting dead bodies at the bomb sites. And the lemmings will buy THAT conspiracy theory 100%!!!!....as if US/Nato "smart bombs" coudlnt possibly have killed innocent people...

AuH20
03-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Lord Acton famously said, "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely." So when we see how the state has eaten through it's various checks and balances, it shouldn't be a shock that we have more and more conspiratorial activity. Centralized power is the main ingredient for societal abuses, which could be classified as "conspiracies."

Romulus
03-30-2011, 11:20 AM
ever notice how the same people who ridicule conspiracy theories are ALWAYS the first ones to blindly swallow conspiracy theories spun by the government/media complex?

That's the rub... I'll never understand that mentality.

Brian4Liberty
03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
The conspiracy industry is flooded with ridiculous conspiracies for this very reason. It's easier to muddy the waters with the unexplainable than to actually attempt to refute events backed by real documentation and research.

That is part of it.

Another part is redefining terms. Propagandists have taken the word "conspiracy", which had a specific meaning, and changed the definition to a derogatory term to discredit people.

ds21089
03-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes...But that Hitler quote is always taken of context.

He was actually accusing the "Jewish Press" of using the Big Lie technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv78dJKvTos&feature=feedrec_grec_index#t=00m56 This guy might sound a bit extreme, but take the time to listen to all of it and see how much it relates to the U.S. (fyi 90%+ of media stations are owned by Jewish people) Coincidence or not? You decide.

No, I'm not anti-semitic. I find it sad that I have to claim that any time I make any statement about Jewish people because everyone is so quick to play that card.

Huge media presence ( http://pakalert.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/six-jewish-companies-own-96-of-the-worlds-media/ ) Cause of financial crisis (Alan Greenspan / Ben Bernanke) Wrote books criticizing Christianity and Jesus, also Muslims. (we're attacking Muslim/Christian nations and giving so much aid to Israel)

Does this mean I think every Jewish person is in on this? Of course not! It's a VERY small %.

madfoot
03-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Like?

NewRightLibertarian
03-30-2011, 12:00 PM
The government spreads disinformation by making up absurd conspiracies and having them debunked on the boob tube so the sheep can all down at the stupid and crazy people and feel more secure about themselves and their civilized society. Then the real conspiracies are either ignored or misrepresented. I have been noticing more mainstream recognition of conspiracy theories (along with the thought police/truth commission group SPLC warning about the rise of Patriot groups and mainstreaming of conspiracy theories). I don't know if the truth is becoming impossible to keep out of the mainstream or the powers that be are rubbing it all in our faces.

ds21089
03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
The government spreads disinformation by making up absurd conspiracies and having them debunked on the boob tube so the sheep can all down at the stupid and crazy people and feel more secure about themselves and their civilized society. Then the real conspiracies are either ignored or misrepresented. I have been noticing more mainstream recognition of conspiracy theories (along with the thought police/truth commission group SPLC warning about the rise of Patriot groups and mainstreaming of conspiracy theories). I don't know if the truth is becoming impossible to keep out of the mainstream or the powers that be are rubbing it all in our faces.

I think it's this. People are waking up and the NWO is scared. That's why they're making such quick, drastic movements. You can hold a small light in the darkness, and it provides a path. Try the same thing with darkness, and it can never overcome light. Good will ALWAYS triumph over evil in the long-run. Don't worry, my friend. There is a world-wide revolution taking place and it is essential for society to change for the better. These heinous criminals shall be hanged for their atrocious acts.

madfoot
03-30-2011, 12:07 PM
NWO? Really?

PaleoForPaul
03-30-2011, 12:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

Of course, conspiracies become "revolutions" when they're successful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Revolution_of_1917

Plenty of conspiracy theories are total garbage, but in reality the term "Conspiracy Theory" has been mangled into something used to smear anyone who believes differently than what the media reports.

Brian4Liberty
03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
NWO? Really?

Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc7i0wCFf8g

FrankRep
03-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Breaking:

Syria President Bashar Assad: Major Conspiracy Behind Protest Uprisings
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?285644-Syria-President-Bashar-Assad-Major-Conspiracy-Behind-Protest-Uprisings

:D

madfoot
03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc7i0wCFf8g

I know. This doesn't really convince me there's an omnipresent/homogeneous coalition trying to take over the world.

Anti Federalist
03-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Like?

Here, start with this:

33 Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be True

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread531572/pg1

jmdrake
03-30-2011, 12:20 PM
A skeptic's take propagandist's disinformation on the public's fascination with disinformation discovering the truth for themselves:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-people-believe-in-conspiracies

Fixed it for ya.

And I defy you to watch this video and still be "anti conspiracy theory". It's documented proof of high powered republicans turning "Boys Town" into a recruiting ground for child prostitutes for political operatives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggxiBWv4xYE

KevinR
03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Like?

Read the links Vessol posted earlier:

madfoot
03-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Here, start with this:

33 Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be True

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread531572/pg1

It starts off reasonably and then dissolves into crap like the NWO and the JFK assassination. I'll give it a deeper read later out of curiosity, but these things haven't been "proven" no matter how loosely I use the word.

acptulsa
03-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Because people conspire.

jmdrake
03-30-2011, 12:44 PM
It starts off reasonably and then dissolves into crap like the NWO and the JFK assassination. I'll give it a deeper read later out of curiosity, but these things haven't been "proven" no matter how loosely I use the word.

Excuse me, but at this point how can you not believe the NWO exists when the MSM talks about it all of the time? :confused:

As for the JFK assassination, don't forget that the House committee on assassinations declared it to be a conspiracy instead of a "lone gunman". Why do you believe one government commission and totally discount the other?

madfoot
03-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Is the House suddenly not a tool of the NWO when they say something that supports your theories?

acptulsa
03-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Is the House suddenly not a tool of the NWO when they say something that supports your theories?

What's the difference between the House today and the House thirty years ago? What's the differnece between a House subcommittee and the House?

Now, care to try an answer instead of a question? Or, at least, a white flag?

NewRightLibertarian
03-30-2011, 12:59 PM

They obviously can't control everybody's mind, but the vast majority of them work to protect the status quo and the parameters of debate that the global elite sets.

Anti Federalist
03-30-2011, 01:04 PM

Eh, believe what you like.

The Mena AK CIA/Iran/Contra/drug/gun running is well documented and I have personal confirmation of that.

Northwoods is confirmed.

MKULTRA is confirmed.

Operation SHAD is confirmed.

I could go on and on...

Anti Federalist
03-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Read the links Vessol posted earlier:

Originally Posted by Vessol

Yes, that too.

NewRightLibertarian
03-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Eh, believe what you like.

The Mena AK CIA/Iran/Contra/drug/gun running is well documented and I have personal confirmation of that.

Northwoods is confirmed.

MKULTRA is confirmed.

Operation SHAD is confirmed.

I could go on and on...

I can't imagine how heinous and futuristic the things those evil government bastards are doing now.

Anti Federalist
03-30-2011, 01:08 PM
I can't imagine how heinous and futuristic the things those evil government bastards are doing now.

I think it was Claire Wolfe who said once, and I'm paraphrasing:

"No matter how paranoid you are, what government is really up to is twice as bad as you thought!"

dannno
03-30-2011, 01:12 PM

If you look closely at various analysis of the Zapruder film, it becomes more than clear that the film has been edited. In the edited version, the motorcade appears to speed up suddenly, all at once, at the exact same acceleration rate, while the car JFK was in continues on at the same speed. It is clear from the evidence that in reality, JFK's driver slowed the car down for the head shot, and the motorcade kept going. This is evidenced by shifts in momentum from the motorcade in the opposite direction of what you'd expect. The film was edited to make it looks like JFK's car maintained the same speed and didn't slow down.

Now, you can try and convince me that the driver of the car stopped for some other reason than for a clear headshot, and you might be right (although highly unlikely)... but you will not be able to convince me regarding the motivation for altering the original Zapruder film and presenting it as evidence to the American people.

Slutter McGee
03-30-2011, 01:14 PM
I would say that people believe in conspiracies because the level of stupidy of the actions and laws of our government is so incredibly high. You have to either believe the government is that dumb or there is a conspiracy going on. While I certainly lean more towards everyone in our government being self-righteous greedy idiots, I can understand why others see conspiracy.

I even agree with the factual basis of most conspiracy theories, just disagree with the end conclusion.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

AuH20
03-30-2011, 01:15 PM
If you look closely at various analysis of the Zapruder film, it becomes more than clear that the film has been edited. In the edited version, the motorcade appears to speed up suddenly, all at once, at the exact same acceleration rate, while the car JFK was in continues on at the same speed. It is clear from the evidence that in reality, JFK's driver slowed the car down for the head shot, and the motorcade kept going. The film was edited to make it looks like JFK's car maintained the same speed and didn't slow down.

Now, you can try and convince me that the driver of the car stopped for some other reason than for a clear headshot, and you might be right (although highly unlikely)... but you will not be able to convince me regarding the motivation for altering the original Zapruder film and presenting it as evidence to the American people.

Why would Congress withhold the JFK files until 2029? Why would they do such a thing? LOL

ds21089
03-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Exactly. It's hard to imagine it because we're not told such things even exist. How many people do you think know how weather manipulation (HAARP) is very possible and that you can create "earthquake machines" very easily. Nikoli Tesla made such an invention in the early 1900s...I'm sure we've come a lot farther than that. How many people know there's such things as drugs to basically put your mind in a state where people will do anything you tell them to? For all we know, they're doing a ton more things we've never imagined were even possible.

It's a shame they are using secret technology for destruction instead of peace. I have a feeling that once we have a revolution and take our country back, we will be able to continue such technology, but for the good of mankind. I think that it's because of our governments around the world that our technology isn't as good as it can be. I feel we already have the technology to have free, limitless energy harnessed from the ionosphere, but how much money would GE, Oil companies, and various other sources of energy lose if we found that?

NewRightLibertarian
Exactly. It's hard to imagine it because we're not told such things even exist. How many people do you think know how weather manipulation (HAARP) is very possible and that you can create "earthquake machines" very easily. Nikoli Tesla made such an invention in the early 1900s...I'm sure we've come a lot farther than that. How many people know there's such things as drugs to basically put your mind in a state where people will do anything you tell them to? For all we know, they're doing a ton more things we've never imagined were even possible.

It's a shame they are using secret technology for destruction instead of peace. I have a feeling that once we have a revolution and take our country back, we will be able to continue such technology, but for the good of mankind. I think that it's because of our governments around the world that our technology isn't as good as it can be. I feel we already have the technology to have free, limitless energy harnessed from the ionosphere, but how much money would GE, Oil companies, and various other sources of energy lose if we found that?

I've heard things about how hemp oil is the solution to all of our energy problems (and the cure for cancer too). It wouldn't surprise me if this were the case.

dannno
I could go on and on...

Operation Paperclip

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EpWyBZJXhgI/SQ4_ZxV2NII/AAAAAAAACUo/FYvMjkKDJ_Q/s400/Dr+Strangelove-725873.jpg

ds21089
03-30-2011, 01:21 PM
I've heard things about how hemp oil is the solution to all of our energy problems (and the cure for cancer too). It wouldn't surprise me if this were the case.

Oh it's completely true. Hemp could help our economy out so much. It would creates 100,000s of jobs. The uses of hemp are limitless. I've also seen some videos and studies of people claiming smoking pot was actually very good for you (killed cancer cells) and that's why it's illegal (that and Government-forbid anyone is allowed to be happy. They need us in a state of fear to carry out their plans)

acptulsa
03-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Almost always long enough to make sure that the major players and anybody who really cares is long dead.

G. Gordon Liddy found it too difficult to keep a secret therefore no one in government can keep a secret.

Fail. If Liddy managed to trim his toenails all by himself without drawing blood, no power on earth could keep him from bragging about it.

NewRightLibertarian
03-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Oh it's completely true. Hemp could help our economy out so much. It would creates 100,000s of jobs. The uses of hemp are limitless. I've also seen some videos and studies of people claiming smoking pot was actually very good for you (killed cancer cells) and that's why it's illegal (that and Government-forbid anyone is allowed to be happy. They need us in a state of fear to carry out their plans)

Indeed, THC (the active ingredient of cannabis) has been proven to fight cancer cells. If marijuana were more prevalent in our society, there would be less drunkenness and more happiness for sure. But the corporations/government would rather a person take Prozac or some other soul sucking pill they can profit off (although one of the side-effects is suicidal thoughts!) that'll keep people docile so they can flip the switches and turn the gears.

ds21089
03-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Indeed, THC (the active ingredient of cannabis) has been proven to fight cancer cells. If marijuana were more prevalent in our society, there would be less drunkenness and more happiness for sure. But the corporations/government would rather a person take Prozac or some other soul sucking pill they can profit off (although one of the side-effects is suicidal thoughts!) that'll keep people docile so they can flip the switches and turn the gears.

Exactly! I'm glad there's more people who see things the way I do. I love these forums.

Romulus
03-30-2011, 01:38 PM
I think it was Claire Wolfe who said once, and I'm paraphrasing:

"No matter how paranoid you are, what government is really up to is twice as bad as you thought!"

That's right, image what we don't know, or still remains classified.

Grubb556
03-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Well, in regards to the JFK assassination, I think many do believe it is a conspiracy, just because they can't accept that the government is plain incompetent.

acptulsa
03-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Well, in regards to the JFK assassination, I think many do believe it is a conspiracy, just because they can't accept that the government is plain incompetent.

Incompetent? If you believe the Icelandic newspaper at the time, they caught the culprit a couple of hours before he did the deed. How is that incompetent?

Grubb556
03-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Incompetent? If you believe the Icelandic newspaper at the time, they caught the culprit a couple of hours before he did the deed. How is that incompetent?

Incompetent in that they didn't give JFK enough protection to prevent the assassination in the first place.

AuH20
03-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Incompetent in that they didn't give JFK enough protection to prevent the assassination in the first place.

I think that was the intention.

NewRightLibertarian
03-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Just because the government often comes off as 'incompetent' does not mean they aren't also evil as well. I think they often use the veil of incompetence as a cover to hide their sinister, coordinated mechanisms.

Theocrat
03-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Actually, Hitler said, "If you tell a lie long enough, loud enough, and often enough, the people will believe it." He also said, "People are more likely to believe a big lie than a small one."

On another note, I think the biggest conspiracy is when others say there are no conspiracies.

Romulus
03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
The govt is only incompetent when it comes to protecting liberty. They are sure as hell competent when it comes to collecting taxes and bombing the snot out of foreign countries!

Fredom101
03-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Like?

The Federal Reserve
The Manhattan Project
The Bay of Pigs
The Gulf of Tonkin incident
Iran/Contra
9/11 (whichever story you believe, it was a conspiracy)
The 7/7 bombings in London

and on and on. Conspiracies are happening all the time, in reality.

anaconda
03-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Disinformation in itself constitutes a conspiracy. And it is rampant. Just look at Libya. We are funding the "rebels" and bombing and strafing on their behalf for "humanitarian" reasons. It is not the fault of "conspiracy theorists" that the government shrouds itself in secrecy. But in the case of Libya it's not even secret.

anaconda
03-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Wasn't JFK was shot from multiple directions? And the final shot from a direction utterly impossible from the book depository? The American people were led to believe it was a lone nutty gunman. Where is the incompetence in that? Sounds like conspiracy murder "winning."

Teaser Rate
03-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Very nice article, I really wish there were more skeptics around here. There's nothing which turns a potential libertarian off quicker than being bombarded by incoherent conspiracy theories about the Fed, building 7, vaccines or fluoride in water as soon as he engages into a discussion with a so-called "liberty lover".

Btw the author of the article, Michael Shermer is an outspoken libertarian who has written extensively about the importance of free markets and emergent order. Here's a recent interview he did with Reason TV;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKf0NW7cxq4

steve005
03-30-2011, 05:53 PM

thats like asking "why do people believe in theories?"

what a retarded question, which goes to show how successful the main stream media are, you're acting like the mere word "conspiracy" means fairy tale or something,

MN Patriot
03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Money is power. Some people seek money and power, and those types are attracted to government since government is all about money and power. Want proof of the conspiracy? Look at your pay stub, all those taxes is the power the government takes from each one of us. They conveniently created a system where our money is taken from us before it gets into our pockets and we won't miss it.

We have been conditioned to accept this system with rituals like filing taxes by April 15. If we are lucky, the generous government gives us money back! That makes a lot of people happy to be a tax slave, they get a little bit of their money back.

We have been conditioned to believe society will collapse if our money isn't robbed from us every payday. 100 years ago there was no income tax, society did quite well up to that point.

A few very ingenious people figured out how to expand their wealth and power immensely by using government to rob money from everyone else.

devil21
03-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Old smear piece is old.

(Liddy's part about incompetence in gov't)

God, what horseshit.

I agree with Liddy regarding incompetence. However, what I've learned is that many of the "players" in conspiracies don't actually realize they are tools of the conspiracy. They buy into the gov't disinfo themselves and unknowingly work toward the goal of the conspiracy. Consider 9/11. Do you think everyone in the Pentagon and US Mil know that 9/11 may have been an inside job? No. Those people buy into the official story and work toward the goal of the conspiracy which is middle eastern subversion. They don't realize they are just pawns in the game.

devil21
03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Very nice article, I really wish there were more skeptics around here. There's nothing which turns a potential libertarian off quicker than being bombarded by incoherent conspiracy theories about the Fed, building 7, vaccines or fluoride in water as soon as he engages into a discussion with a so-called "liberty lover".

Good job making everyone a caracture of the tinfoil hat wearer. You just push the same stereotypical nonsense that the MSM does about anybody that doesn't blindly follow the offical story/government line. Do you REALLY think that the people here jump straight into fluoride and bldg 7 as soon as we meet someone? WE DONT SO STOP ACTING LIKE WE DO!

I ask again, why are you here? You're clearly not a libertarian or liberty movement member. Stop trolling. You're not wanted here.

Anti Federalist
03-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Btw the author of the article, Michael Shermer is an outspoken libertarian who has written extensively about the importance of free markets and emergent order. Here's a recent interview he did with Reason TV

Many libertarians and antigovernment people are among some of the harshest critics of "conspiracy theories" simply because they refuse to accept the fact that government is not a bunch of bumbling Barney Fife clones, and that it can, when it so desires, operate with clicking, deadly precision.

Orgoonian
03-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Source?

Knightskye
03-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Matt, the image byline says "Matt Collins." No relation?

NewRightLibertarian
03-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Many libertarians and antigovernment people are among some of the harshest critics of "conspiracy theories" simply because they refuse to accept the fact that government is not a bunch of bumbling Barney Fife clones, and that it can, when it so desires, operate with clicking, deadly precision.

Yeah, they use that stereotype of incompetence to hide the dastardly intent of their behavior. Certainly, many involved in Congress and the House of Representatives are dumbasses of course but they don't hold any real power. The President can go around Congress using regulatory agencies and can summon troops to go anywhere at their request. The CIA is no joke and involved in all kinds of criminal mischief, the DEA is now apparently a 'mini CIA' that is expanding even as the drug war fails and our military is the largest of any in history. People should be alarmed and with the amount of 'conspiracy theories' that have been proven to be true throughout history, it is no wonder that people believe in them. They just have to smart enough to filter out the disinfo spread by agents of deception.

Teaser Rate
03-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Good job making everyone a caracture of the tinfoil hat wearer. You just push the same stereotypical nonsense that the MSM does about anybody that doesn't blindly follow the offical story/government line. Do you REALLY think that the people here jump straight into fluoride and bldg 7 as soon as we meet someone? WE DONT SO STOP ACTING LIKE WE DO!

http://i.imgur.com/4DriF.gif

I ask again, why are you here? You're clearly not a libertarian or liberty movement member. Stop trolling. You're not wanted here.

If I didn't know any better, these kinds of comments would make me believe that I had stumbled into some weird cult's website.

Teaser Rate
03-30-2011, 07:36 PM

I really don't see that kind of skepticism in a majority of libertarians. Going by my experience, I'd say that most conspiracy theories are much more widespread among libertarians than non-libertarians. Of course, I could be wrong, so if I'm missing some large group of libertarian skeptics, feel free to point them out to me.

Anti Federalist
03-30-2011, 07:50 PM
I really don't see that kind of skepticism in a majority of libertarians. Going by my experience, I'd say that most conspiracy theories are much more widespread among libertarians than non-libertarians. Of course, I could be wrong, so if I'm missing some large group of libertarian skeptics, feel free to point them out to me.

Well, to be fair, I said "many" and among. Certainly not all, and maybe not even a majority.

But you just pointed one out, Michael Shermer.

PJ O'Rourke comes to mind. So does Radley Balko and Matt Welch.

Look, government is doing the shit it does either because it's filled to the brim with boobs, or it knows exactly what it's doing, and is engaging in "conspiracies" every day, even if it has a preponderance of boobs in it.

(The "master plan designed by geniuses to be executed by idiots" in the words of the fictitious Thomas Keefer)

In light of the numerous instances in the past where a "grand conspiracy" was pulled off with flawless precision and kept secret, sometimes for decades, leads me to believe the latter.

pcosmar
03-30-2011, 08:59 PM
If I didn't know any better, these kinds of comments would make me believe that I had stumbled into some weird cult's website.

You are welcome to stumble right back out.

Jim Casey
03-30-2011, 09:11 PM
I once had email correspondence with somebody who was later convicted of conspiracy to commit murder and received a 40 year sentence. In fact the guy hosted the very first vbulletin board I ever joined.

Marenco
03-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Looks like Theodore Roosevelt was another conspiracy theorist :rolleyes:

''Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul this unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of statesmanship.''

~ Theodore Roosevelt, "The Progressive Covenant With The People" speech (1912)

Here is the live speech where he says it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsO_KQLTWeM

FrankRep
03-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Speaking of Conspiracies:

LewRockwell.com: CIA Operative Appointed to Run al-Qaeda Connected Libyan Rebels
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?285719-LewRockwell.com-CIA-Operative-Appointed-to-Run-al-Qaeda-Connected-Libyan-Rebels

Anti Federalist
03-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Speaking of Conspiracies:

LewRockwell.com: CIA Operative Appointed to Run al-Qaeda Connected Libyan Rebels
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?285719-LewRockwell.com-CIA-Operative-Appointed-to-Run-al-Qaeda-Connected-Libyan-Rebels

Llalalalalalalaallalalal I can't hear you...

BarryDonegan
03-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Belief in things is a religion. :)

jmdrake
03-31-2011, 09:55 AM

:rolleyes: Was LBJ not a tool of the NWO? Don't be obtuse. If we assume both are equally likely of being tools and both come to wildly different positions on JFK, then it's just silly to dismiss the possibility of the JFK assassination being a conspiracy. And I see you totally ignored all of the MSM mentions of the NWO. Why is that? Because you know you have no counter argument?

jmdrake
03-31-2011, 10:04 AM

Did you even read what acptulsa wrote before reflexively responding with your own world view? His point was the assassination was reported BEFORE it happened. That's got nothing to do with "incompetence". More recently, one of the suspects on his deathbed admitted to being involved in a conspiracy to kill JFK. It's facts like these that lead people to think their might actually be a conspiracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlpL7qZxPhA

s35wf
03-31-2011, 10:15 AM

ding, ding, ding we have a winner :D

anaconda
03-31-2011, 12:59 PM
I once had email correspondence with somebody who was later convicted of conspiracy to commit murder and received a 40 year sentence. In fact the guy hosted the very first vbulletin board I ever joined.

The vast majority of heroin addicts started with milk.

s35wf
03-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Did you even read what acptulsa wrote before reflexively responding with your own world view? His point was the assassination was reported BEFORE it happened. That's got nothing to do with "incompetence". More recently, one of the suspects on his deathbed admitted to being involved in a conspiracy to kill JFK. It's facts like these that lead people to think their might actually be a conspiracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlpL7qZxPhA

"the assassination was reported BEFORE it happened"

Building 7 was reported to have collapsed BEFORE it Collapsed! 911

and i saw this on the news with my own 2 eyes

Grubb556
03-31-2011, 01:29 PM

My bad, sorry about that, but the original point was that since many Americans don't believe they were incompotent, they believe that it is indeed a conspiracy.