PDA

View Full Version : Willie Nelson sentenced to public humiliation for latest weed bust.

Anti Federalist
03-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Better than going to the rape cage I suppose.

I wonder if this judge and prosecutor would have offered the same deal to a poor, young, black kid busted for dope.

Any last requests? Judge offers to let Willie Nelson off drugs jail sentence . . . so long as he sings her favourite song in court

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370646/Willie-Nelson-ordered-sing-judges-favourite-song-court-avoid-marijuana-jail-sentence.html

By Simon Neville

Last updated at 4:21 PM on 28th March 2011

Singer-songwriter and marijuana enthusiast Willie Nelson could have faced a lengthy jail term after he was arrested for possession in November.

But perhaps the Texas prosecutor has been smoking some of Willie’s special cigarettes, because he has agreed to let the 77-year-old legend avoid prison but only if he gives the court a song.

Hudspeth County Attorney Kit Bramblett said: ‘I’m gonna let him plead, pay a small fine and he’s gotta sing “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain” with his guitar right there in the courtroom.’

Vessol
03-29-2011, 09:57 PM
"You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal fucking high on drugs. The Beatles were so fucking high they let Ringo sing a few tunes." -Bill Hicks

Kylie
03-29-2011, 10:26 PM
That is a miscarriage of justice in any aspect, and that judge should lose her seat. Aren't there laws against shit like that?

goldencane
03-30-2011, 01:24 AM
I don't do drugs, but if i did and was charged that judge sure as hell better let me get off with a song. And I agree, this is abuse of authority.

LibertyEagle
03-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Oh please. This is not humiliation. This is another Texan who loves Willie Nelson.

Willie is being let out of the drug possession charge for quite literally, a song.

LibertyEagle
03-30-2011, 01:29 AM
That is a miscarriage of justice in any aspect, and that judge should lose her seat. Aren't there laws against shit like that?

Would you rather he be sent to prison?

Because like it or not, drug possession is currently against the law. So, if you hate that, go work to get it changed.

A judge, who is clearly a fan, is letting him out of it. You sure you think she is the enemy?

Expatriate
03-30-2011, 01:49 AM
If I were him I'd refuse on the principle of it. It's demeaning. I don't care what the laws are, that's like the neighborhood gang breaking into your house and offering to let you keep some of your stuff if you jump through hoops and dance a jig.

AZKing
03-30-2011, 01:49 AM
A judge, who is clearly a fan, is letting him out of it. You sure you think she is the enemy?

That depends. Does she let other people off for the same crimes?

dannno
03-30-2011, 01:54 AM

Because like it or not, drug possession is currently against the law. So, if you hate that, go work to get it changed.

I think you're right, but I think the OP would like to see the judge stand up and decry the ridiculous drug laws and let him go. I'd be curious how that would affect the judge's standing, probably wouldn't boast well for their career. It would be cool if a bunch of judges around the country decided to do it, though.

LibertyEagle
03-30-2011, 03:24 AM
I think you're right, but I think the OP would like to see the judge stand up and decry the ridiculous drug laws and let him go. I'd be curious how that would affect the judge's standing, probably wouldn't boast well for their career. It would be cool if a bunch of judges around the country decided to do it, though.

Yeah, it would. In the meantime, I'm glad that some look the other way.

LibertyEagle
03-30-2011, 03:25 AM
If I were him I'd refuse on the principle of it.

And go to prison? Mighty big of ya to volunteer him for prison. I think that might be akin to biting off your nose to spite your face.

It's demeaning. I don't care what the laws are, that's like the neighborhood gang breaking into your house and offering to let you keep some of your stuff if you jump through hoops and dance a jig.

No it's not. If you lived around here, you'd understand. It's unTexan to hate Willie Nelson.

LibertyEagle
03-30-2011, 03:31 AM
That depends. Does she let other people off for the same crimes?

Don't know. I doubt any of the others can sing like Willie. lol.

Look, I understand where you're coming from, but there are currently laws against possession. If we want to change it, then we need to do that.

Quite frankly, I'm glad to see even one person kept out of jail for this. Just the same as the very few who are kept out of jail for not paying their taxes. I will celebrate the wins, no matter how small they are.

S.Shorland
03-30-2011, 03:47 AM
She should have told him to sing 'the nightlife'.No victim,no crime? I wouldn't enjoy living in a world where drugs were legal but the rights of the individual have to come first.

squarepusher
03-30-2011, 04:23 AM
The judge sounded cool as hell to me.

speciallyblend
03-30-2011, 06:21 AM
Oh please. This is not humiliation. This is another Texan who loves Willie Nelson.

Willie is being let out of the drug possession charge for quite literally, a song.

next time i get pulled over i am gonna sing to him or her and expect to get the f off!! police and courts have bcome a joke all by themselves!!!

Carehn
03-30-2011, 06:26 AM
Man! Why don't they just leave Willy alone? I smoke pot every day and nothing bad ever happens. Its like having a glass of wine after work. The only bad that can come of it is from the cops.

They should just come out and say "Willy, we know you smoke pot and your getting to old for us to ruff you up. So do you think we could just take some of your money and skip the whole game? Just give us some money and will leave you alone for another year or two."

At least that would be less violent and more honest.

speciallyblend
03-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Don't know. I doubt any of the others can sing like Willie. lol.

Look, I understand where you're coming from, but there are currently laws against possession. If we want to change it, then we need to do that.

Quite frankly, I'm glad to see even one person kept out of jail for this. Just the same as the very few who are kept out of jail for not paying their taxes. I will celebrate the wins, no matter how small they are.

hard to change laws with 75 yrs of lies backed by the us gov,the biggovgop and dnc!!!

acptulsa
03-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Would another person have gotten off so easy? No chance.

So, why did it happen? They like their jail and don't want it dismantled brick by brick. That's Texas and that's Willie. Brick by brick.

Justinjj1
03-30-2011, 07:16 AM
The judge sounded cool as hell to me.

This. But let's hope that others are treated just as leniently.

speciallyblend
03-30-2011, 07:33 AM
This. But let's hope that others are treated just as leniently.

hmmm if i was a cop i would start busting strippers with pot just in hopes they might be able to pole dance in the court and get off;) the judge and the police and the law have become a laughing stock!! legalize marijuana already ,end 75 yrs of lies and a few worthless dea jobs!! stop the reefer madness literally!!

pcosmar
03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Wow,
Sorry AF, but that was a bad thread title. Saw this story elsewhere and it is NOT an done deal.
1. It is not the Judge. This is the prosecutors offer. (possibly tongue in cheek)
2. It is a proposed Plea Offer.(if it is even serious) Can be rejected by the Judge or by Willie.
3. Singing one of his trademark songs would not be "humiliation".
4. There is a lot of back room dealing going on if the Prosecutor is publicly joking around like this.

Willie will be fine. Thousands of others around the country won't.
:(

Slutter McGee
03-30-2011, 08:33 AM
I think yall are misreading what is going on here. A young black man here in Texas is gonna have the same options as Willie, except the singing. Community Service or a fine. Since ole Willie can pay any fine without problem, doing this would actually cost him money.

Thats not to say that I agree with state drug laws. I don't. But this isn't some gross abuse of power.

Slutter McGee

lazerbeem
03-30-2011, 08:39 AM

An unjust law is an unjust law period. It is a victim-less crime and the punishment is absurd for average people caught.

Icymudpuppy
03-30-2011, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't enjoy living in a world where drugs were legal but the rights of the individual have to come first.

You already do. The following drugs are legal....
Over the counter...
Alcohol
Nicotine
Caffeine
All kinds of potentially lethal cold and flu remedies

With a prescription
Codeine
Morphine
Ritalin
Methamphetamine
and many more too many to name.

I'll take a Divine God-made all natural multi-syptom medication like Marijuana, over a laboratory man-made dangerous side effect drug like Ambience(TM) any day.

Romulus
03-30-2011, 09:31 AM
"You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal fucking high on drugs. The Beatles were so fucking high they let Ringo sing a few tunes." -Bill Hicks

I heard this on a Tool album... Hicks is the man!

Tiger35
03-30-2011, 10:09 AM
This seems like a Dukes of Hazzard episode to me :). Sorry Loretta Lynn, your driver was speeding but we can take care of the ticket with a show at The Boar's Nest - Boss Hogg.

Anti Federalist
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Wow,
Sorry AF, but that was a bad thread title. Saw this story elsewhere and it is NOT an done deal.
1. It is not the Judge. This is the prosecutors offer. (possibly tongue in cheek)
2. It is a proposed Plea Offer.(if it is even serious) Can be rejected by the Judge or by Willie.
3. Singing one of his trademark songs would not be "humiliation".
4. There is a lot of back room dealing going on if the Prosecutor is publicly joking around like this.

Willie will be fine. Thousands of others around the country won't.
:(

Well, I only had the Daily Fail story to work with, FWIW.

I think the only point I want to get across to people is the injustice of the tens of thousands of others who won't walk out of a courtroom a free person just by singing a song.

I despise the double standard.

And don't take me wrong, I have nothing but respect and admiration for Willie, he's been putting it on the line and fighting the system for decades now.

Expatriate
03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
And go to prison? Mighty big of ya to volunteer him for prison. I think that might be akin to biting off your nose to spite your face.

No it's not. If you lived around here, you'd understand. It's unTexan to hate Willie Nelson.

I'm not trying to volunteer him for anything, I'm saying what I would do if I were in his place. Being told to perform in order to be let off the hook for an unjust punishment would be extremely degrading for me. Even if I did it to avoid an overly excessive punishment I wouldn't be able to put any heart into the performance. That's just me.