PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Unions Forced to Collect Their Own Dues

AuH20
03-29-2011, 11:57 AM
This is pure genius.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/118775974.html

State workers began paying more for benefits starting Sunday, Administration Secretary Mike Huebsch said Monday in a conference call with reporters. They also no longer are being billed for union dues, and those changes will show up on checks issued April 21, he said.

madfoot
03-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Hooray?

AuH20
03-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Hooray?

Can you smell the scent of freedom?

roho76
03-29-2011, 01:23 PM
I can wait to see the almost immediate drop in membership.

AuH20
03-29-2011, 01:25 PM
I can wait to see the almost immediate drop in membership.

Unfortunately, Wisconsin isn't a right to work state. So they'll just withhold dues. So much for that union spirit?

TheNcredibleEgg
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately, Wisconsin isn't a right to work state. So they'll just withhold dues. So much for that union spirit?

Doesn't the new law require them to have a vote soon to keep the union?

If so - that % will be interesting.

juleswin
03-29-2011, 01:42 PM
just look at the headline

"State stops collecting union dues, starts charging more for health care"

How healthcare premium is related to union dues, I will never know.

Edit: Oh yea, the law requires union members to contribute more towards their healthcare and pensions. At 1st glance it looked like the union bosses were making up the difference in union payment thru higher healthcare premiums.

libertybrewcity
03-29-2011, 02:51 PM
well done Walker. I applaud you.

Stary Hickory
03-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah well this goes without saying, its outrageous they had forced the state to do that in the first place. I don't think people truly understand just how deeply embedded the unions had become within government. People still have this naive idea that unions are looking out for the little guy....how? By giving him no choice in whether he joins a union and then using the coercive power of the state to rob him?

madfoot
03-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Yeah well this goes without saying, its outrageous they had forced the state to do that in the first place. I don't think people truly understand just how deeply embedded the unions had become within government. People still have this naive idea that unions are looking out for the little guy....how? By giving him no choice in whether he joins a union and then using the coercive power of the state to rob him?

They didn't "force" the state to do anything, the only thing the unions wanted was to retain collective bargaining. They were willing to negotiate pay cuts and Walker was unwilling to talk to them.

libertybrewcity
03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
They didn't "force" the state to do anything, the only thing the unions wanted was to retain collective bargaining. They were willing to negotiate pay cuts and Walker was unwilling to talk to them.

the union dues were collected for them.

Vessol
03-29-2011, 07:11 PM

"Collective bargaining" is made possible only by forcing all governments workers to join the union, rather than having a choice to join or not.

It means being able to bargain without having to worry about dissenters who won't go on strike if your union orders a strike. Or other bargaining tools.

Adrock
03-29-2011, 07:51 PM
If you are in Wisconsin make sure you vote in the upcoming Judicial elections. Make sure you get all your like-minded friends out to vote too. They are next Tuesday and will ultimately determine the fate of the law.

Stary Hickory
03-29-2011, 07:55 PM

Exactly what are "collective bargaining rights"? There is no right to get special privileges by saying you are "collectively bargaining". It is the biggest bunch of nonsense I have ever heard. They were bargained with either they take the pay they are receiving or they can quit, many people would like to see them just quit...who needs them? Only individuals can have rights, organizations are not individuals.

The only power that a union may legitimately posses is the power to quit in mass. This is legit because it is voluntary, and legal. Beyond this unions have no special rights, if they threaten to ALL quit and it still is not enough to convince their employer(be that the state of WI or a private employer) to give them what they want, they can quit or they can continue to work. This is what we ALL have to deal with, everyone wants more money.

Ethek
03-29-2011, 09:13 PM
National Right to Work Ninjas strike again!