PDA

View Full Version : IL cop chokes 7 year old in school, gets put on "child abuser" registry, keeps job.

Anti Federalist
03-28-2011, 11:49 PM
So much fail in this story, I don't even know where to start.

DCFS adds BPD officer to abuser list

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_59791d96-51eb-11e0-9376-001cc4c03286.html

BLOOMINGTON — The Department of Children and Family Services has placed a Bloomington police officer on its State Central Register of “indicated” child abusers following the agency’s investigation into a December incident at Stevenson Elementary School.

By law, police officer Scott Oglesby will remain on the list for five years, said DCFS spokesman Kendall Marlowe. Oglesby has the right to appeal the decision.

While DCFS notified Bloomington officials Thursday, Police Chief Randy McKinley said Friday he had not formally heard of the DCFS action. McKinley said he would consider the agency’s findings and the results of an internal investigation when determining whether any disciplinary action will be taken against the officer.

The internal investigation is underway, he said.

Oglesby was placed on paid administrative leave following the Dec. 21 incident, but returned to work after McLean County State’s Attorney Bill Yoder announced Feb. 23 that he was not filing criminal charges against Oglesby. Yoder could not be reached for comment Friday.

Oglesby is on restricted duty, is not in uniform and has no physical contact with the public, McKinley said. Bloomington police union President Todd Keil could not be reached for comment.

Shannon and Lorraine Allison, parents of the 7-year-old Stevenson School child who was involved in the incident, think Oglesby should be removed from the police force.

“He doesn’t represent what a police officer should be, especially with kids. They are there to protect and serve,” said Lorraine Allison. “I trust Bloomington Police Department won’t want abusers on their staff.”

Allison said her son, who is a special needs student at Stevenson, suffers from seizures that cause him to scream and act much like a 2-year-old throwing a tantrum. He had such a seizure on Dec. 21 and was with the school psychologist waiting for his dad to pick him up and take him home.

Lorraine Allison said the psychologist had her son in a restraining hold, which is common practice.

Oglesby became involved after he went to the school after hearing of an unrelated incident involving another student. The school resource officer also was en route.

According to the police report obtained by the Allisons, Oglesby “darted” into the room where the Allison’s son was, told the boy he was giving him a headache and then lifted the 65-pound boy by the throat. He “was lifted off the floor so his feet were dangling … his head was close to the ceiling … his face was turning quite red,” according to the psychologist’s statement to police.

The psychologist left the room and told the school resource officer who then went into the room. Oglesby then grabbed the boy by the arm, lifted him over his shoulder and carried him to the principal’s office where, according to one witness, he “threw” the boy into a chair.

The report further states that Oglesby went back into the classroom and said to school staff, “You got any more?”

Herschel Hannah, District 87 assistant superintendent of human resources, called the incident “very unfortunate.” He said school officials followed district rules to yield to police, but added “the unfortunate thing is you have an officer who has no historical context” about the student.

Hannah said the school will review the DCFS report to determine if there should be any policy changes.

Meanwhile, Lorraine Allison said her son was “incredibly upset” after the incident and remains in counseling.

“The first thing he asked me was, ‘Mommy, didn’t that police officer’s mommy say he shouldn’t do that to people?’ ” Allison said.

aGameOfThrones
03-29-2011, 12:05 AM
“He doesn’t represent what a police officer should be, especially with kids. They are there to protect and serve,” said Lorraine Allison. “I trust Bloomington Police Department won’t want abusers on their staff.”

LOL! Yeah right!

Anti Federalist
03-29-2011, 12:10 AM
LOL! Yeah right!

Another Mundane violently awoken from their slumber.

Philhelm
03-29-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm confused. What is within this article that is out of the ordinary? What am I looking for here?

squarepusher
03-29-2011, 12:18 AM
So a police officer is just a license to do violence now a days?

acptulsa
03-29-2011, 08:17 AM
So much fail in this story, I don't even know where to start.

'He said school officials followed district rules to yield to police, but added “the unfortunate thing is you have an officer who has no historical context” about the student.'

How about here? A cop who bodyslams a seven year old boy into a sofa because the noise he's making is annoying is obviously lacking in more than 'historical context'.

jmdrake
03-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Here's the problem:

Oglesby was placed on paid administrative leave following the Dec. 21 incident, but returned to work after McLean County State’s Attorney Bill Yoder announced Feb. 23 that he was not filing criminal charges against Oglesby. Yoder could not be reached for comment Friday.

Screw the list. The cop should be charged with felony assault. Of course prosecutors have unfettered discretion not to charge. So someone needs to make this a cause celeb and go after Bill Yoder's job in the next election.

acptulsa
03-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Is there nothing short of prosecutable felony assault that this department considers grounds for terminating the emplyoment of this whacko?

Krugerrand
03-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Herschel Hannah, District 87 assistant superintendent of human resources, called the incident “very unfortunate.” He said school officials followed district rules to yield to police, but added “the unfortunate thing is you have an officer who has no historical context” about the student.

Bad rule.

lifted the 65-pound boy by the throat. He “was lifted off the floor so his feet were dangling … his head was close to the ceiling … his face was turning quite red,”

I saw a teacher do this in junior high when he was breaking up a fight.

jmdrake
03-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Is there nothing short of prosecutable felony assault that this department considers grounds for terminating the emplyoment of this whacko?

That's just it. This is prosecutable. The prosecutor just chose not to file charges. And the only way this whacko will get terminated is if he assaults the wrong person. (I knew of a case where a cop unwittingly roughed up the mayor's daughter. He was gone in less than a week.)

Krugerrand
03-29-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm confused. What is within this article that is out of the ordinary? What am I looking for here?

Allison said her son, who is a special needs student at Stevenson, suffers from seizures that cause him to scream and act much like a 2-year-old throwing a tantrum. He had such a seizure on Dec. 21 and was with the school psychologist waiting for his dad to pick him up and take him home.

Oglesby became involved after he went to the school after hearing of an unrelated incident involving another student. The school resource officer also was en route.

According to the police report obtained by the Allisons, Oglesby “darted” into the room where the Allison’s son was, told the boy he was giving him a headache and then lifted the 65-pound boy by the throat. He “was lifted off the floor so his feet were dangling … his head was close to the ceiling … his face was turning quite red,” according to the psychologist’s statement to police.

The psychologist left the room and told the school resource officer who then went into the room. Oglesby then grabbed the boy by the arm, lifted him over his shoulder and carried him to the principal’s office where, according to one witness, he “threw” the boy into a chair.

That sounds okay to you?

acptulsa
03-29-2011, 08:39 AM
That sounds okay to you?

He didn't say that. He said it sounded like just another day in Amerika.

Krugerrand
03-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Here's the problem:

Screw the list. The cop should be charged with felony assault. Of course prosecutors have unfettered discretion not to charge. So someone needs to make this a cause celeb and go after Bill Yoder's job in the next election.

You're absolutely correct. In fact, I would say not prosecuting deserves a recall vote, if that is possible.

Anti Federalist
03-29-2011, 12:43 PM

Lol?