PDA

View Full Version : Slight traces of Japanese radiation detected in 13 US states

doodle
03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Rainwater is declared still safe to drink, MA is monitoring milk supply:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0328/Traces-of-Japanese-radiation-detected-in-13-US-states

raiha
03-28-2011, 09:34 PM
They have radioactive iodine in South Korea and low radiation readings in South East China also according to Kyodo News.

BamaAla
03-28-2011, 09:34 PM
They were talking about this on the local news earlier. Trace amounts were in the recent rain storms here in Alabama.

Fox McCloud
03-28-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm guessing nothing to worry about, especially considering we detected small amounts after Chernobyl.

Dr.3D
03-28-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm guessing nothing to worry about, especially considering we detected small amounts after Chernobyl.

And every other above ground test conducted.

tangent4ronpaul
03-28-2011, 09:52 PM
15 states... from the other thread:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/environment/2011-03-28-radiation-usa_N.htm

Good map of states that have detected radiation.

From the map, it becomes blatantly obvious that many states are either not looking, have detection systems that suck or that are hiding the info from the public.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
03-28-2011, 09:53 PM
And every other above ground test conducted.

Radiation has a footprint. It's from Japan.

Dr.3D
03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Radiation has a footprint. It's from Japan.

I know that. I'm just stating that every time they did a nuke test, bits of it fell around the globe. That stuff has a way of getting around, and it isn't good for anybody when it does. Even the slight increase of that stuff in the environment, increases the health problems people have for years later.

TheTyke
03-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Sounds refreshing. :)

sailingaway
03-28-2011, 10:12 PM
And since the states are on both coasts, I suspect the fact that they weren't detected elsewhere has more to do with not having continuous monitoring stations (clean air states) rather than because it somehow leapfrogged Kansas, for example.

I'm not yet concerned, but I'm reading the information coming out with interest.

And I've quit eating shrimp tacos with 'pacific shrimp' since I have a pretty good idea why they are so cheap (habitat of shrimp is unlikely to be Malibu).

kahless
03-28-2011, 10:16 PM
The EPA is reporting it but I really do not trust the data. I have been watching their Radnet monitors and every time one starts getting really high they take it offline. So who knows what the truth is.

tangent4ronpaul
03-28-2011, 10:19 PM
The EPA is reporting it but I really do not trust the data. I have been watching their Radnet monitors and every time one starts getting really high they take it offline. So who knows what the truth is.

You should keep track of that and post high readings and when taken offline

tangent4ronpaul
03-28-2011, 10:24 PM

OK, it's a lot worse than they are telling us. Why do they never mention plutonium or cesium? - only Iodine with it's short half life?

kahless
03-28-2011, 10:31 PM
You should keep track of that and post high readings and when taken offline

I wish I had taken screen shots, particularly of Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Edison, NJ and NYC. All except NYC I watched it climb before they took it offline. I did not check NYC today so I do not know what the story is there.

I am kicking myself for not getting screen shots.

raiha
03-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I know that. I'm just stating that every time they did a nuke test, bits of it fell around the globe. That stuff has a way of getting around, and it isn't good for anybody when it does. Even the slight increase of that stuff in the environment, increases the health problems people have for years later.
Which nobody can prove comes from exposure to radiation.

Zippyjuan
03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
The detectors are incredibly sensitive. They can pick up a positive reading if somebody who had a treatment at a hospital with radiation if they pass close enough- parts per billion. The radiation detectors they had installed in New York were getting tons of false readings due to normal sources. That smoke detector in your house puts off radiation.

http://www.pharmacypracticenews.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=Clinical&d_id=50&i=May%2B2005&i_id=59&a_id=3163&tab=RecentComments

Nuclear Medicine Patients Are Often Surprised When Radiation Detectors Go Off

Patients who are fresh home from the imaging center or the oncologist's office may find themselves the subject of increased scrutiny--homeland security scrutiny, that is.

Low levels of radiation from these procedures have triggered some security detectors, understandably alarming patients and raising awareness that people should be better forewarned. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and the Society of Nuclear Medicine have recommended that medical professionals educate patients and provide an explanatory letter, in case they are stopped and questioned.

Such measures are sorely needed, since patients undergoing certain radioisotope regimens could trigger radiation detectors for up to 95 days after discharge, experts warn.

"I think most hospitals are doing that now--at least the proactive ones are," said Jeff Clanton, DPH, Director of Radiopharmacy Services at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn. "It's better than having patients stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for contact with their treating physician."

For many years, Vanderbilt clinicians have alerted iodine therapy patients to the possibility that they might trigger radiation detectors, Mr. Clanton said. In the wake of increased homeland security, they now ask any patient involved in a radiation procedure whether they will travel in the near future. If so, they provide a letter.

Still, clinician efforts to alert patients don't appear to be registering, maybe because of the stress of their recent medical treatment, said Linda Groves, a former Navy captain and a staff member at Sandia National Laboratories, a government-owned national security contractor. Ms. Groves has helped analyze radiation detection incidents in the New York-New Jersey area, but said she could not recall any instances in which detained individuals had been warned that their treatment could pose a security problem.

Sometimes the shriek of a detection siren can be quite startling for people immersed in their daily activities, Ms. Groves said. "We thought we had killed one little old lady one time," she recalled. "She just about jumped out of her car."

Plus, the radiation "trail" can stretch surprisingly long, Ms. Groves said. "What I think has been illuminating for some folks is how long some of these radioactive isotopes stay in your body," she said. "I think we tracked one person for a couple of weeks."

More at link.

speciallyblend
03-29-2011, 12:39 PM
well i just moved so i have no microwave now,does this mean i can sit my food outdoors now to cook:)???? sarcasm
bottom line is i am f'in tired of folks trying to dismiss radiation in any form as safe!! having radiation in rain water thousands of miles away is not good in any form no matter what paid scientist try to say!!! if your having to try to explain away the issue that says alot!!!

doodle
04-02-2011, 01:45 PM
well i just moved so i have no microwave now,does this mean i can sit my food outdoors now to cook:)???? sarcasm
bottom line is i am f'in tired of folks trying to dismiss radiation in any form as safe!! having radiation in rain water thousands of miles away is not good in any form no matter what paid scientist try to say!!! if your having to try to explain away the issue that says alot!!!

Experts are saying milk supply is safe:

Radiation From Troubled Japanese Reactors Lands in California Milk Supply

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-milk-radiation-japan-nuclear-reactor-20110331,0,4980722.story