PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul and Latinos.

falconplayer11
03-28-2011, 01:08 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-republicans-hispanic-problem/2011/03/27/AFiMXokB_story.html

New census datas reveals what we all already knew. Hispanics are the fastest growing minority group in the United States...by far.

We need to make sure that Latinos are aware of Ron Paul and the message of truly limited government. As one who lives in an area with a large Hispanic population, I have seen the lack of initiative in trying to break the language barrier and explain to those whose English is not perfect that not all non-Democrats are racist, and that libertarianism offers them limited government without the anti-immigration and pro-English/"European culture" initiatives that the neo-cons/Republicans can't shake.

Bumper stickers, posters, Cafepress, etc...reach out! I will post my Cafepress sticker when I finish it later this week.

Menos impuestos, mas libertad. iRon Paul para el presidente!

dannno
03-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Menos impuestos = "less taxes" para los personas que no sabes la langue de espanol

Slutter McGee
03-28-2011, 03:28 PM
I certainly agree with reaching out to hispanics. However, immigration is one of the most split libertarian issues.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

JohnEngland
03-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Identity politics are a danger to democracy. When one judges a candidate on their biology, not their policies and beliefs, democracy can lead to bad, but popular, leaders.

Imperial
03-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Menos impuestos = "less taxes" para los personas que no sabes la langue de espanol

Menos impuestos = "less taxes" para las personas que no saben la lengua de espanol.

Grammar-Nazism en espanol.

low preference guy
03-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Menos impuestos = "less taxes" para las personas que no saben la lengua de espanol.

lol. good job. almost perfect. "la lengua de espanol" sounds weird. i suggest "la lengua espanola".

dannno
03-28-2011, 04:20 PM

Sorry, it's been like 6 or 7 years..

MelissaWV
03-28-2011, 04:23 PM

You forgot your ń :)

Spelling-nazism... it's fantastic!

I suppose it's time to once again be flabbergasted that people would want to "appeal" to such a diverse group of people as a gigantic blob. The only thing in common is, potentially, a language barrier somewhere within many families. I would caution those of you trying to help to actually make sure your spelling and grammar are correct before you print up erroneous posters and shirts and bumper stickers. If you had someone who could barely speak your language trying to make a political pitch to you, and their message was lost somewhere in the mire of idiotic mistakes they were making, how would you react? How would many people?

It still really, really makes me cringe when someone who obviously would have had trouble with HS Spanish mutters through some short catchphrase that they STILL manage to mangle. :( It says "I'm pandering, but I really don't care. I just want your vote because I see you as part of a large herd that I can swing my way."

Spanish for Ron
03-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi!

I don't post much, but I read these forums every day. I used to have the most visited blog for Ron Paul in spanish, I posted news every day and translated articles of him that I took from Ron Paul Library. Will restart the blog if he finally decides to run.

I'm from Spain, sorry for my english :)

Run Ron run! We are all ready! ;)

MelissaWV
03-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Vosotros votais ;)

Your English is better than most posters on here, and I'm always glad to see you post. Hopefully he announces this month!

falconplayer11
03-28-2011, 05:37 PM

It is a play on words that would make sense to any Spanish speaker. "mas o menos" are two words that are often found together. Think "Stay the Course" referring to the Iraq War policy of the Bush years...does not make literal sense, but it is catchier than "Stay on the Course" and makes perfect sense to everyone.

And not like you offered an alternative, anyways...

falconplayer11
03-28-2011, 05:38 PM
""Hi!

I don't post much, but I read these forums every day. I used to have the most visited blog for Ron Paul in spanish, I posted news every day and translated articles of him that I took from Ron Paul Library. Will restart the blog if he finally decides to run.

I'm from Spain, sorry for my english

Run Ron run! We are all ready!""

Awesome! Keep up the great work!

falconplayer11
03-28-2011, 05:42 PM
You forgot your ń :)

Spelling-nazism... it's fantastic!

I suppose it's time to once again be flabbergasted that people would want to "appeal" to such a diverse group of people as a gigantic blob. The only thing in common is, potentially, a language barrier somewhere within many families. I would caution those of you trying to help to actually make sure your spelling and grammar are correct before you print up erroneous posters and shirts and bumper stickers. If you had someone who could barely speak your language trying to make a political pitch to you, and their message was lost somewhere in the mire of idiotic mistakes they were making, how would you react? How would many people?

It still really, really makes me cringe when someone who obviously would have had trouble with HS Spanish mutters through some short catchphrase that they STILL manage to mangle. :( It says "I'm pandering, but I really don't care. I just want your vote because I see you as part of a large herd that I can swing my way."

The whole idea is to communicate to the Spanish-speaking community in the US the ideas of libertarianism and Ron Paul. And I don't think that intelligent human beings would write off an entire philosophy because of a grammar mistake. Either you have a very low view of Hispanic Americans, or you yourself refuse to listen to someone who cannot speak your language perfectly.

dannno
03-28-2011, 05:56 PM
It is a play on words that would make sense to any Spanish speaker. "mas o menos" are two words that are often found together. Think "Stay the Course" referring to the Iraq War policy of the Bush years...does not make literal sense, but it is catchier than "Stay on the Course" and makes perfect sense to everyone.

And not like you offered an alternative, anyways...

Oh I don't think many people here know spanish and I just translated that small bit cause I figured they could translate the rest of the phrase intuitively. Personally I'd like to see more spanish literature promoting Ron Paul. There are tons of spanish speakers in my area.

MelissaWV
03-28-2011, 05:59 PM
The whole idea is to communicate to the Spanish-speaking community in the US the ideas of libertarianism and Ron Paul. And I don't think that intelligent human beings would write off an entire philosophy because of a grammar mistake. Either you have a very low view of Hispanic Americans, or you yourself refuse to listen to someone who cannot speak your language perfectly.

Your right.

Now, do I mean that you are correct (and spell it wrong), or that it's your right to think that of me?

Words have meaning, and an inability to communicate in the language of one's audience is a problem. You talk about the ideas of libertarianism... what if you accidentally said "liberalism" every time? Would that change what you convey when you voice your support?

60 Minutes' Mike Wallace, known for his tough interviewing style, drew a sharp rebute from Boris Yeltsin - thanks to a translator's error. The confusion arose when Wallace asked Yeltsin if he had a "thin skin" when it came to public criticism, but the translation had Wallace describing Yeltsin as a "thick-skinned hippopotamus."

Yeltsin was not amused.

During its 1994 launch campaign, the telecom company Orange had to change its ads in Northern Ireland. "The future's bright … the future's Orange." That campaign is an advertising legend. However, in the North the term Orange suggests the Orange Order. The implied message that the future is bright, the future is Protestant, loyalist... didn't sit well with the Catholic Irish population.

In 1988, the General Electric Company (GEC) and Plessey combined to create a new telecommunications giant. A brand name was desired that evoked technology and innovation. The winning proposal was GPT for GEC-Plessey Telecommunications. A not very innovative name and not suggestive of technology and a total disaster for European branding. GPT is pronounced in French as “J’ai pété” or “I've farted”.

Waterpik uses another name in Denmark. "Pik" is the common Danish word for male genitals. Most Danes can easily translate "water" to the danish word "vand". And "vandpik" is a term for the morning erection.

Gerber, the name of the famous baby food maker, is also the French word for vomiting

Latte means milk in Italy. In English, Latte is a coffee-drink. Many folks like to head to Starbucks or other coffee shops to take early morning latte breaks...
In Germany, Latte is a well known word for an erection. So, "morning latte" is when you wake up in the morning with an erection! The word "break" means "destroy", so taking that "morning latte break" is destroying that erection. I'll leave the details to your imagination, as well as all the puns on how you take your steaming hot drink.

The european hardware store chain "Götzen" opened a mall in Istanbul. "Göt" means "ass" in Turkish. They changed the name to "Tekzen".

General motors made a car named "Opel Ascona". This model sold poorly in Galicia, the northwestern region of Spain. In the galician and also portuguese languages, the term is similar to the term for female genitalia.

Reuters reports: General Motors Corp. will rename its Buick LaCrosse in Canada because the name for the car is slang for masturbation in Quebec, embarrassed officials with the U.S. automaker said on Thursday. GM officials, who declined to be named, said it had been unaware that LaCrosse was a term for self-gratification among teenagers in French-speaking Quebec

Pizza Hut is advertising their new dish, a calzone they named the P'Zone. It is pronounced like "pezón", the Spanish word for "nipple".

It must be my own personal silly nature that leads me to think one has to be careful, and know one's audience, before attempting to market something to them or communicate in their native language.

Pero antes de decir algo tan estúpido --- como que yo tengo una opinión baja de hispanos --- debes pensarlo un ratico más. :)

BlackTerrel
03-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Whatever you want to call it - no one is winning an election any time soon without at least some of the Latin vote.

low preference guy
03-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Whatever you want to call it - no one is winning an election any time soon without at least some of the Latin vote.

i don't think there is a "Latin vote". they are much more diverse than other groups. so it's likely that the candidate who wins and the one who loses will get some of that vote.

sailingaway
03-28-2011, 10:46 PM
i don't think there is a "Latin vote". they are much more diverse than other groups. so it's likely that the candidate who wins and the one who loses will get some of that vote.

Bingo, however, it is a population with a language barrier whereas most others learn English and there isn't such a barrier. There are enough Spanish speaking areas here that people can live their lives here and never have to learn English if they don't want to (and where I live, many do.) So translations are a really good idea. I wouldn't change the actual substance, though, I think people will be drawn to these principles or won't, regardless of their ethnicity.

And I saw the census data, Hispanics are important now, and always will be a large group, but with the current trend they will be outpaced by Indians. And they speak English and I don't think we have any problems with Indians, that I know of.

BlackTerrel
03-28-2011, 11:06 PM

Obama won 67% of the Latin vote in 2008. Even more significant his candidacy increased Latin turnout by almost 50%. He would not have won without it.

It's a growing population and one that is voting more and more.

No of course they are not a monolithic bloc - but to not pay attention to it at all would be foolish.

It is what it is. I'm gonna guess that Romney got the majority of the Mormon vote and Giuliani got the majority of the Italian vote etc...

low preference guy
03-28-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm gonna guess that Romney got the majority of the Mormon vote

I'm pretty sure of that.

and Giuliani got the majority of the Italian vote etc...

I doubt it very much.