PDA

View Full Version : WTF Duncan Hunter (Support for Libya)

cswake
03-28-2011, 07:18 AM
So, so, so wrong... :rolleyes:

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/152067-hunter-a-rare-supporter-of-obamas-libya-policy

One of the strongest congressional backers of the president’s handling of Libya is Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), a conservative Republican in his second term.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/mar/26/president-acted-correctly-on-libya/

The War Powers Resolution provides the president with the authority to conduct limited operations absent a declaration of war or use of force resolution from Congress. The reason for this authority is simple. Imagine for a second that a president is confronted with a situation requiring limited military involvement but, rather than having the ability to act quickly, an open consultation process with Congress must first occur. Under that scenario, the element of surprise is lost while strategic intent and operational planning are broadcast worldwide, risking the mission at hand, combat resources and the lives of America’s military men and women.

Open deliberation or any formal pronouncement to Libyan President Moammar Gadhafi would only have provided more time and opportunity to reposition personnel and tactical resources, such as artillery and anti-aircraft weapons. Now, due in large part to the advantage of superior air power, a line has been drawn between the rebels and Gadhafi’s troops, while civilian populations are under far less threat of attack than before.

doodle
03-28-2011, 07:24 AM
No surprise there at all, why would a neocon like him oppose Obama war policy.

sailingaway
03-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing. I kind of liked Hunter in the elections, although Ron soaked up most of my attention once I discovered him. I had no idea Hunter had so little respect for the Constitution when it was in impediment to his sense of urgency.

I knew he was more of a war hawk, but the Constitution is clear, and Congress can be called for emergency meetings if necessary, and wasn't.

acptulsa
03-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Hey, Hunter. If you don't think the Constitution is sufficiently well designed for allowing you to sneak up behind little guys and thwacking them with a baseball bat, intoduce a Constitutional amendment. Don't just ignore the thing.

qh4dotcom
03-28-2011, 07:38 AM
An immigrant from Kenya who does not have an original U.S birth certificate has no constitutional authority to start a war with Libya...only a natural born citizen president with the approval of Congress can do so.

amy31416
03-28-2011, 07:41 AM
An immigrant from Kenya who does not have an original U.S birth certificate has no constitutional authority to start a war with Libya...only a natural born citizen president with the approval of Congress can do so.

So, uhhh...if it were Biden and he yapped with the Congress for a few moments prior to sending out the fighter jets, you'd be okay with the strikes on Libya? And, by extension, okay with Bush's aggression toward Iraq?

specsaregood
03-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing. I kind of liked Hunter in the elections, although Ron soaked up most of my attention once I discovered him. I had no idea Hunter had so little respect for the Constitution when it was in impediment to his sense of urgency.

I knew he was more of a war hawk, but the Constitution is clear, and Congress can be called for emergency meetings if necessary, and wasn't.

FWIW: This is actually his son. He retired in 2008 and his son took his seat, just like in any good aristocracy.

sailingaway
03-28-2011, 07:47 AM
FWIW: This is actually his son. He retired in 2008 and his son took his seat, just like in any good aristocracy.

Oh.... now I feel dumb....:o

I haven't kept up on the Hunters.

The son sounds like a tool, then.

specsaregood
03-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Oh.... now I feel dumb....:o
I haven't kept up on the Hunters.
The son sounds like a tool, then.

Don't feel bad, no doubt 80% of his constituency doesn't know the father was replaced by the son either. And the apple didn't fall too far from the tree it appears.

cswake
03-28-2011, 07:52 AM

Just to be clear, the son, Duncan D. Hunter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_D._Hunter) is speaking here. The father, Duncan L. Hunter, was in the Presidential debates with Ron, and subsequently "handed" his son the Congressional seat.

erowe1
03-28-2011, 07:54 AM

t0rnado
03-28-2011, 08:00 AM
It's too bad he didn't step on a landmine when he was slaughtering innocent people in Afghanistan and Iraq.

qh4dotcom
03-28-2011, 08:14 AM
So, uhhh...if it were Biden and he yapped with the Congress for a few moments prior to sending out the fighter jets, you'd be okay with the strikes on Libya? And, by extension, okay with Bush's aggression toward Iraq?

No

amy31416
03-28-2011, 08:25 AM
No

Sooo...was the point to make sure that we're all aware of the birth certificate issue? I'm pretty sure everyone here has heard of it.

qh4dotcom
03-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Sooo...was the point to make sure that we're all aware of the birth certificate issue? I'm pretty sure everyone here has heard of it.

Go back and read my 1st post...that was the point...also applies to anything Obama has signed into law...it all needs to be reversed/nullified.