PDA

View Full Version : First our toilets, now our light bulbs.

wizardwatson
03-28-2011, 07:09 AM
I was at Wally-World yesterday buying some incandescent bulbs. The cashier tells me, "oh, you must be stocking up before the phase-out". I'm like 'huh?'. He's like yeah, between 2012 and 2014 they are phasing out the old non-commercial bulbs. Which basically means the government in its infinite wisdom has decided that we all need to save energy and buy those fancy flourescent pieces of crap.

Why do I say they are crap? A: You can't put a flourescent light on a dimmer, so all 7 rooms in my house I have dimmers in I guess are screwed. B: If the contacts on the fluorescents aren't perfect, the fluorescent either flickers or you have to tap it to turn it on. Plus, what is the cost to manufacture those flourescents? Since they cost more I'm assuming more energy is put into making them and undoubtedly the profit margins is higher, which is probably because the big GE wants to stamp out all the little guys making the old bulbs and consequently not only having a higher profit margin but grabbing a larger chunk of the market at the same time.

Anyway, I was ticked when I found this out and had a 'toilet' moment complaining to the cashier about this crap.

So if you want to hate the state a little bit more you can read about the phase-out more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs

FrankRep
03-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Contact Congress! -- Let's Bring Back the Incandescent Bulb
http://www.votervoice.net/core.aspx?APP=GAC&AID=972&IssueID=23696&SiteID=-1

http://thenewamerican.com/images/stories2011/11aFebruary/lightbulbs-t-ap.001.jpg

Minnesota Representative Michele Bachmann, who introduced the Light Bulb Freedom of Choice Act (H.R.5616 (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-5616)) in 2008 to blunt the incandescent light bulb ban signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2007.

Michele Bachmann Pushes Back Against Incandescent Light Bulb Ban (http://thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/6556-bachmann-pushes-back-against-incandescent-light-bulb-ban)

Raven Clabough | The New American (http://thenewamerican.com/)
03 March 2011

Related News:

2011 Republicans Seek Repeal of Incandescent Bulb Ban (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/6392-republicans-seek-repeal-of-incandescent-bulb-ban)

Senators Jim DeMint and Mike Enzi introduced legislation that would reverse the ban on incandescent light bulbs passed as part of the 2007 environmentalist, green energy push.

2010: The CFL Bulb Is Not Environmentally Friendly (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/3396-the-cfl-bulb-is-not-environmentally-friendly)

Though for millions of environmental activists the Compact Fluorescent Light bulb (CFL) has become a popular mascot rivaling the World Wildlife Fund's panda bear symbol, the bulb is anything but environmentally friendly. By William F. Jasper

2010: Death of the Incandescent Light Bulb (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/4646-death-of-the-incandescent-light-bulb)

In response to the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act, which bans the use of incandescent light bulbs by the year 2014, General Electric has shut down its last factory in the United States that makes the incandescent light bulb. by Raven Clabough

2010: UN & Big Business Call for Global Light Bulb Ban to Save Climate (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/5356-un-a-big-business-call-for-global-light-bulb-ban-to-save-climate)

The United Nations and its corporate allies called for a global ban on incandescent light bulbs and kerosene lamps Wednesday at the COP16 global-warming summit in Cancun, claiming in a new study that “energy-efficient” lights would reduce the amount of carbon dioxide emissions. by Alex Newman

tasteless
03-28-2011, 07:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KskqI5nNv-E

EvilEngineer
03-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Had a similar moment when I was looking for a 100W light bulb during Christmas. I was trying to buy an easy bake oven (which they sell at Wal-Mart) for an angel tree gift . However it requires a 100w light bulb, that is not soft light or long life. However those are the only variety that Wal-mart sells. So, the little girl didn't get the easy bake oven for Christmas.:mad:

specialK
03-28-2011, 10:33 AM
The ban has been in effect where I am for a few months now. Where do they honestly think all of this mercury is going end up? Do they really think everyone is going to recycle these bulbs and dispose of them as HAZMAT as required? The unintended consequences of this ban could be disastrous.

LibertyRevolution
03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
welcome to 2007... have you been living under a rock for a while?

P.S. If you want dimming lights, they make dimable compact florescent now.
BTW, the compact florescent use normal incandescent sockets, not like shop light fixtures, so you don't have to tap them..

If you hate floresants, then LED blubs are yet another option...

And this ban exempts 3way blubs, so you can always buy them instead...

pcosmar
03-28-2011, 10:59 AM

BTW, the compact florescent use normal incandescent sockets, not like shop light fixtures, so you don't have to tap them..

Or buy "heat bulbs". ;)
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/energy/blogs/skirting-eu-law-the-rebranding-of-incandescent-bulbs-as-heat-balls

A German businessman is getting around a law banning incandescent bulbs by selling them under a different name.

fisharmor
03-28-2011, 11:04 AM

If you pay $750 you can get a powered macerating toilet that'll work just as well as the toilets you used to be able to get for a fraction of the cost.
Do you see that the fact that there are solutions to the problem that comply with the law is NOT THE POINT?

The point, besides the fact that nobody can prove that these unconstitutional actions even have the desired effect, is that the actual, demonstrable effect of these laws is a decreased standard of living.

People either have to put up with shit sticking to their toilet bowls, or they need to pay a small fortune for a toilet that works.
People either have to put up with none of their dimmers working, or they need to pay more money to have the flourescent variety.

But here's the unanswerable argument:
My dining room is a different color since I put in CFs.
Congress has effectively changed the color in my rooms. If I want to put them back to the color they were before, I need to repaint my house.

tangent4ronpaul
03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
The ban has been in effect where I am for a few months now. Where do they honestly think all of this mercury is going end up? Do they really think everyone is going to recycle these bulbs and dispose of them as HAZMAT as required? The unintended consequences of this ban could be disastrous.

Speaking of HAZMAT, when I was in a college chem class a few years ago, I was chatting with the lab manager and she was telling me that they were using really small quantities of chemicals and changing what experiments they were doing in order to produce less HAZMAT because the disposal fees had gone TO THE MOON! and were breaking the chem departments budget.

I wonder what it will cost to "properly" dispose of one of these bulbs - not like anyone is going to drive to an approved disposal sight and pay out the nose to do so...

-t

tangent4ronpaul
03-28-2011, 12:50 PM
If you pay $750 you can get a powered macerating toilet that'll work just as well as the toilets you used to be able to get for a fraction of the cost.
Do you see that the fact that there are solutions to the problem that comply with the law is NOT THE POINT?

macerating? is that like a garbage disposal in your toilet?

Are they made in the US? The $750 ones I'd heard of had a 4" drain instead of the 2.25" wan as dictated by gvmt regulations and didn't get clogged because of it. However, it's made in Austria so shipping is pretty much guaranteed to cost several times what the toilet costs.

as to the new bulbs - try reading using them. I'm guessing Obamacare is a bit lite on vision care, which will be yet another unintended consequence of these damn things.

-t

wizardwatson
03-28-2011, 01:04 PM

The point, besides the fact that nobody can prove that these unconstitutional actions even have the desired effect, is that the actual, demonstrable effect of these laws is a decreased standard of living.

People either have to put up with shit sticking to their toilet bowls, or they need to pay a small fortune for a toilet that works.
People either have to put up with none of their dimmers working, or they need to pay more money to have the flourescent variety.

Congress has effectively changed the color in my rooms. If I want to put them back to the color they were before, I need to repaint my house.

+1

Icymudpuppy
03-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Heat bulbs available for chicken incubators at your local farm store.

mconder
03-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Of course...there's way more profit margin in them.

Fox McCloud
03-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Except dimmable CFLs are wonky, at best, and don't work in all dimmer switches.

VBRonPaulFan
03-28-2011, 03:04 PM

solution to the toilet problem: poop in elected officials yards during the cover of darkness. no more clogged toilets, completely free exercise of political speech.

wizardwatson
03-28-2011, 03:07 PM
solution to the toilet problem: poop in elected officials yards during the cover of darkness. no more clogged toilets, completely free exercise of political speech.

+rep