PDA

View Full Version : Wire Tapping for white collar crimes

Mani
03-28-2011, 03:24 AM
I know everyone hates these billionaire fat cats who fly around on private jets and call their buddies to get inside info and then make themselves even wealthier....But regardless of who it is, I still find this chilling and disturbing.

2,400 conversations of wire tapping, 130 friends.

Wire tapping used to be about catching the bad guys, the ones who kill & murder. Now bad guys i guess is a broader term. This Raj guy I guess is the new wave of bad guys. Who are the next bad guys?

We think this guy is doing insider trading. We think this guy is doing XXX let's start tapping...

I also find it disturbing they listened to conversations with his spouse which violates a privacy act, and the government officials said, "Aww shucks, we shouldn't have done that, but hey we did catch him so it was worth it!"

Raj appears to be a greedy pig, but it doesn't make it right.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/the-pitfalls-of-wiretaps-in-white-collar-crime-cases/?src=twrhp

Older article: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-11-25/rajaratnam-chiesi-lose-bid-to-void-wiretaps-in-galleon-case.html

AZKing
03-28-2011, 03:56 AM
Well the obvious solution was for Rajaratnam to start lobbying.

:>

Kilrain
03-28-2011, 04:06 AM
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning, OP. But then again, I would say that Helicopter Ben is a worse "criminal" than Charlie Manson.

Think about it, what's worse, killing a handful of people, or being the frontman for a racket that siphons off wealth from an entire country, or at least from millions and millions of individuals?

Mani
03-28-2011, 04:17 AM
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning, OP. But then again, I would say that Helicopter Ben is a worse "criminal" than Charlie Manson.

Think about it, what's worse, killing a handful of people, or being the frontman for a racket that siphons off wealth from an entire country, or at least from millions and millions of individuals?

Sounds too similar to the Government....(they do hate competition)..

Wire tapping just freaks me out...In general...

IMO murder is worse than large scale theft, but I'm sure that's debatable. Just an opinion.

Kilrain
03-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Sounds too similar to the Government....(they do hate competition)..

Wire tapping just freaks me out...In general...

IMO murder is worse than large scale theft, but I'm sure that's debatable. Just an opinion.

Well, maybe I should clarify:

Racket that siphons off the wealth of millions using force. I would never fault a business for making a profit, if people are free to choose another business to deal with, and there are no restrictions on companies trying to enter a market, and...you get the picture.