PDA

View Full Version : All your donations are belong to Ron!

margomaps
10-24-2007, 08:28 PM
This is the internets, so I shouldn't have to explain the title...but here's an explanation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us) just in case.

Alright, so this thread is about money bombs. We had our first taste of a money bomb last Saturday, and it was a sweet, sweet nectar indeed. Watching ronpaulgraphs (http://www.ronpaulgraphs.com) go vertical for an hour or two was awesome, but it left us wanting more. Enter the already famous (and amongst some, infamous) November 5th bomb. And the November 11th bomb. And now the new December 16th Tea Party bomb.

My question is, is there an overall strategy we should consider with these money bombs? I think they happen to be potentially awesome fundraising mechanisms for all the obvious reasons: publicity, motivation for supporters, and big cash for Ron's campaign. But, there's probably a point of diminishing returns.

Without over-analyzing the situation too much, I'm going to make the bold claim that it's probably a good idea to stick to about 2 major money bombs per month. Any more than that and I believe the bombs will start to compete for the same potential donors, and each bomb will thus be less effective as a publicity tool. Any less, and we might have trouble reaching the campaign's fund-raising goals.

IMO, here's a good schedule for upcoming money bombs:

November 5th (we all know the story on this one)
November 11th (Veteran's day)
November 29th (RonPaulThanksgiving.com)

December 16th (Tea Party)
December 25h (MerryChristmasRon.com)

Now, I know I added the Thanksgiving and Christmas ones without asking anyone, and that the Thanksgiving bomb violated my own rule about how many bombs to have per month. But I think they're good ideas, and they're spaced out well enough to give a bit of recovery time between bombs.

Thoughts?

Brinck Slattery
10-24-2007, 08:30 PM
so what you're saying is -
they set us up the bomb?

garrettwombat
10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
no he is saying he will set it up and its the bomb.

kylejack
10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Dec 26 Washington crossed the Delaware and defeated the Hessians...change from Christmas?

OptionsTrader
10-24-2007, 08:35 PM
RonPaulTeaParty.com is available.

margomaps
10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Dec 26 Washington crossed the Delaware and defeated the Hessians...change from Christmas?

Perhaps, although I think Christmas is more widely recognizable. :D

Plus, I just really want everyone to be talking about the massive present we gave Ron for Christmas.

margomaps
10-24-2007, 08:38 PM
they set us up the bomb?

:D I expected that from someone.

kylejack
10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Perhaps, although I think Christmas is more widely recognizable. :D

Plus, I just really want everyone to be talking about the massive present we gave Ron for Christmas.

But it would be secular and more inclusive, and how many hundreds of people are not going to be willing to log on at any time during family time on Christmas Day?

kylejack
10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
they set us up the bomb?
Yes, somebody set us up the money bomb. What?! We get signal. Main screen, turn Ron. (Ron appears on screen) "How are you gentlemen? All your party base are belong to us. You are on the way to destruction. Make your time. Ha ha ha."

Take off all fiat money, for great justice.

Sparx
10-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Damn thread title blowback made me laugh and spill my cranberry juice.

margomaps
10-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Yes, somebody set us up the money bomb. What?! We get signal. Main screen, turn Ron. (Ron appears on screen) "How are you gentlemen? All your party base are belong to us. You are on the way to destruction. Make your time. Ha ha ha."

Take off all fiat money, for great justice.

Man, we should get Ron to make this fund-raising commercial for us. Or someone good at hacking up videos should do this on youtube. That'd be sweet.

Brian Bailey
10-24-2007, 08:54 PM
That has viral potential written all over it.

NinjaPirate
10-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Man, we should get Ron to make this fund-raising commercial for us. Or someone good at hacking up videos should do this on youtube. That'd be sweet.

That would really tap into the hard core gamer/geek group. :D

stevedasbach
10-24-2007, 09:36 PM
I think having one big money bomb to try to get publicity is worth trying. However, to keep momentum building, we need to raise more money each week than the one before. Also, it is easier for the campaign to process donations at a steady pace than to be "bombed" all at once.

Even a great idea can be overdone. A variety of approaches is likely to work better than the same thing over and over again.

Original_Intent
10-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I prefer this version.

http://www.starterupsteve.com/flash/html/allyoursmurf.shtml

:D

TVMH
10-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Damn thread title blowback made me laugh and spill my cranberry juice.

Watch the beverage there, maannn! :cool:

margomaps
10-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Watch the beverage there, maannn! :cool:

Would you just...just take it easy, man? :D

Sparx
10-24-2007, 10:11 PM
I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man.

TVMH
10-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Phone's ringing, Dude.

(I can't help myself...that is one of the best movies of all time).

Sparx
10-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Thank you, Donny.

(Yes, yes it is. :cool:)

TVMH
10-24-2007, 10:37 PM
All Lebowski-isms aside, this "all your base" idea needs to happen...viral potential, indeed.

I know nahthink about making videos, but I'll help however else I can.

Cindy
10-24-2007, 10:43 PM
But it would be secular and more inclusive, and how many hundreds of people are not going to be willing to log on at any time during family time on Christmas Day?

Yes. I would call it the Happy Holidays Money Bomb and make it for Dec 21st.

margomaps
10-24-2007, 10:47 PM
All Lebowski-isms aside, this "all your base" idea needs to happen...viral potential, indeed.

I know nahthink about making videos, but I'll help however else I can.

I was going to say something along the lines of, "Don't be fatuous, Paulites." But I digress...

I agree it would be über cool to do this as a viral video. One technique would be to identify all the words we want Paul to say in the video (all, your, donations, are, belong, to, us) and find him speaking those words in his myriad youtube clips. Then it's probably not too terribly difficult to cut and splice those words into sentences. We could superimpose the spliced speech over either static images of Paul, or videos of Paul talking sternly. Like at the UNH debate when he wagged his finger while proclaiming the source of his marching orders.

I dunno, it sounds like a blast, but we'd need to hone the concept quite a bit, and hopefully find someone who's savvy with multimedia composition tools.

Sparx
10-24-2007, 10:54 PM
This is a good idea, and thorough, very thorough.

newmedia4ron
10-25-2007, 01:47 AM
No more than this. Final dates.

GoRonGo
10-25-2007, 01:57 AM
After Ron wins the nomination, this could be part of the bigger movie.

That movie would be called

Dr. Ron Paul: or How I learned to stop Worrying and love the [money] bomb

NinjaPirate
10-25-2007, 09:47 AM
bump

Pete
10-25-2007, 10:52 AM
How about Christmas Eve as a Christmas present for RP and family?