PDA

View Full Version : Draft RAND Paul 2012 - time is critical - take action now!

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Freedom lovers, this is a call to arms.

Every time I see Rand Paul speak - On TV, at rallies, at Rotary Clubs, and everywhere else YouTube has a camera - every time, I become more strongly convinced that Rand Paul is the man who should lead this country.

Rand Paul is our last best hope for America. We need to organize and act NOW to make sure he runs for president in 2012.

I have been following the movement closely since 2007, when I volunteered for Ron Paul in Dubuque, Iowa during the primaries, and founded my college's Ron Paul organization.

And I am as thrilled as anyone that Ron has become such a prominent part of the national discussion. I watch every interview.

But sometimes it takes a son to fulfill a father's vision.

Rand Paul lives and breathes his father's philosophy, AND he can articulate it. When he speaks, he not only presents a platform - he weaves a story.

This is why he can win. Remember how Jesus taught in parables?

I truly believe Rand can do this. As a freshman Senator, he has already shown he has the guts to take the lead. On the budget, on military and entitlement reform, on foreign aid, on the federal reserve - who ELSE in the Senate has dared to do even a fraction of this?

Rand Paul follows through on his promises.
Remember when we doubted whether he would stick to his principles? Now even Jon Stewart calls him "the walkiest of the talkers."

Rand is not afraid of unpleasant truths.

Rand Paul is bold.
Rand Paul is funny.
Rand Paul is endearing.
Rand Paul is calm under pressure.
Rand Paul is honest.
Rand Paul is articulate.
Rand Paul is principled.
Rand Paul is intelligent.
Rand Paul is a student of history.
Rand Paul IS ELECTABLE.

His father lit the fire in our bellies. Let's take his son to the top!

--------------------------------

Here's what I see on the net currently:

Draft Rand Paul for President 2012 facebook group.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Draft-Rand-Paul-for-President-2012/123211864372938?sk=wall
Only 87 members! Join now and show Rand you want him.

A google search of "draft rand paul 2012" shows virtually no relevant results.
http://www.google.com/search?q=draft+rand+paul+2012

WE NEED TO SET UP A DRAFT RAND PAUL 2012 site, ASAP. Who has the resources to do this? Ideas? Most importantly, we should set up a petition, so we can show Rand that we are here for him.

www.draftrandpaul2012.com is available. Let's do this now!

If Rand runs, I am willing to sacrifice, to do whatever it takes to get him elected. Rand, if you do this, I will fight for you harder than I've fought for anything in my life.

And I know I'm not the only one. Who's with me?

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Who's with which part? The if he runs, I'll fight part? Right here. Or the don't let the father and son work out the wisest strategy part?

I still like Ron Paul, too. Only difference I see is one of charisma. And if the son can make people see that the message is the same with or without conventional charisma, they're a hell of a team.

One hell of a team whichever one is out front.

R3volutionJedi
03-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Ron Paul 1st choice. Rand Paul 2nd choice.

Sola_Fide
03-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Freedom lovers, this is a call to arms.

Every time I see Rand Paul speak - On TV, at rallies, at Rotary Clubs, and everywhere else YouTube has a camera - every time, I become more strongly convinced that Rand Paul is the man who should lead this country.

Rand Paul is our last best hope for America. We need to organize and act NOW to make sure he runs for president in 2012.

I have been following the movement closely since 2007, when I volunteered for Ron Paul in Dubuque, Iowa during the primaries, and founded my college's Ron Paul organization.

And I am as thrilled as anyone that Ron has become such a prominent part of the national discussion. I watch every interview.

But sometimes it takes a son to fulfill a father's vision.

Rand Paul lives and breathes his father's philosophy, AND he can articulate it. When he speaks, he not only presents a platform - he weaves a story.

This is why he can win. Remember how Jesus taught in parables?

I truly believe Rand can do this. As a freshman Senator, he has already shown he has the guts to take the lead. On the budget, on military and entitlement reform, on foreign aid, on the federal reserve - who ELSE in the Senate has dared to do even a fraction of this?

Rand Paul follows through on his promises.
Remember when we doubted whether he would stick to his principles? Now even Jon Stewart calls him "the walkiest of the talkers."

Rand is not afraid of unpleasant truths.

Rand Paul is bold.
Rand Paul is funny.
Rand Paul is endearing.
Rand Paul is calm under pressure.
Rand Paul is honest.
Rand Paul is articulate.
Rand Paul is principled.
Rand Paul is intelligent.
Rand Paul is a student of history.
Rand Paul IS ELECTABLE.

His father lit the fire in our bellies. Let's take his son to the top!

--------------------------------

Here's what I see on the net currently:

Draft Rand Paul for President 2012 facebook group.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Draft-Rand-Paul-for-President-2012/123211864372938?sk=wall
Only 87 members! Join now and show Rand you want him.

A google search of "draft rand paul 2012" shows virtually no relevant results.
http://www.google.com/search?q=draft+rand+paul+2012

WE NEED TO SET UP A DRAFT RAND PAUL 2012 site, ASAP. Who has the resources to do this? Ideas? Most importantly, we should set up a petition, so we can show Rand that we are here for him.

www.draftrandpaul2012.com is available. Let's do this now!

If Rand runs, I am willing to sacrifice, to do whatever it takes to get him elected. Rand, if you do this, I will fight for you harder than I've fought for anything in my life.

And I know I'm not the only one. Who's with me?

You will probably get flamed for this post, but I agree with a lot of what you say.

I want Ron to win in 12, but I know Rand could win in 12.

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 07:54 PM
You will probably get flamed for this post, but I agree with a lot of what you say.

I want Ron to win in 12, but I know Rand could win in 12.

I've given it a lot of thought. Let me just say that I love Ron Paul and I put my heart and soul into his campaign in '08.

And believe me, I share your distaste for "electability" questions. I hated hearing from people that "Ron can't win." CAN Ron win in 2012? There's always a chance. But I'm supremely impressed by Rand. And remember, being able to articulate a vision clearly so the every day citizen understands it and identifies with it - it's not just a bonus, or a perk -- IT IS VITAL.

Rand Paul IS electable. And I don't think he sacrifices principle to do it, that's why I am so fired up about him.

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Also, I think it's important to point out:

We are not talking about a mutually exclusive scenario here. Just because we do some work to support Rand's campaign doesn't mean that we stop supporting Ron.

We need to move in parallel, laying the groundwork for BOTH Paul's as potential candidates.

We shouldn't feel that supporting Rand means we are abandoning Ron.

speciallyblend
03-27-2011, 08:09 PM

exactly

Agorism
03-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Any alternative to the word draft since Rand hopefully opposes having a draft\selective service?

Kidding kinda.

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 08:14 PM
I like it.

DRAFT RAND BEFORE OBAMA DRAFTS YOU!

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 08:19 PM
I like it.

DRAFT RAND BEFORE OBAMA DRAFTS YOU!

Haha :) Well, is there any other word commonly used to "urge" a candidate to run? :) I've seen "draft" before, but it could certainly be something else

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm also looking into some petition sites to at least get something up quickly where people can sign and show Rand some support. The alternative would be a custom-made database-driven site that would handle all the requests. I don't know how to do that, though.

Looked at:

change.org
thepetitionsite.com
petitiononline.com

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Haha :) Well, is there any other word commonly used to "urge" a candidate to run? :) I've seen "draft" before, but it could certainly be something else

You used the right word. And I'm serious. I like the phrase.

We should spread it around. The conjunction of Rand getting some publicity and The Third War is too good.

DRAFT RAND BEFORE OBAMA DRAFTS YOU.

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 08:36 PM
I am also looking into petition sites, so we can at least get something up and running to show Rand our support.

change.org
thepetitionsite.com
petitionsonline.com

The alternative is to create a custom, database-driven site to handle the requests.. but I have no idea how to do that.

sailingaway
03-27-2011, 08:41 PM

This.

And frankly, while I want them to win, I think neither is 'likely' to, but each has a chance. Ron's age is against him but his record and the depth of his knowledge base is for him, and if he gets the nomination, he has a lot of cross appeal.

Rand's youth and style are for him, but his inexperience is SO limited it is going to be the same kind of barrier as Ron's age, and he was demonized in his general election to where Ron has much more cross appeal, at this point. RIGHT NOW more run of the mill GOP think favorably of Rand, but that is before he starts running against GOP favorites, many of whose supporters will think it pretty presumptuous. And Rand doesn't have the record Ron has, he is a hope and a 'rising star' for certain, but not proven over time, at least that is what supporters of other candidates can say.

So while I want one to win, who I want in the debates is a big deal to me, and I think Ron will do better there, still, at this point, and will grow the movement further.

However, if Ron doesn't want to run, and ONLY under those circumstances, I would support Rand, because he will be up for reelection to the Senate in 2016, when the next presidential election rolls around.

I'm a little surprised that anyone here as long as the OP has been, despite the few posts, would be suggesting Rand be drafted EVEN IF Ron wanted to run again, after Ron built the movement and the organization.

Agorism
03-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Ronald Reagan was worried about losing the Libertarian vote in 1980 election (as the Libertarian Party was stronger in 1980 than any other time) so he campaigned on undoing selective service.

However, it was just a campaign ploy as he was lying. He only wanted Libertarians votes not their opinions.

anaconda
03-27-2011, 08:48 PM
I will feel fortunate to have either run, depending on and respecting what they decide.

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Rand's youth and style are for him, but his inexperience is SO limited it is going to be the same kind of barrier as Ron's age, and he was demonized in his general election to where Ron has much more cross appeal, at this point.

Yeah, I've considered this. That's why initially I was thinking Rand 2016. But I think the circumstances are dire enough that we can't wait until 2016 to get a liberty candidate in the presidency. And, let's not forget that Rand won a Senate seat. That's no small feat. That already demonstrates significant mass-market appeal.

As for Ron running, I think he would be the first to say that he will do what the country needs of him. This is not a guy in it for himself. He wants the movement, the ideas, to thrive and spread. He's the most selfless political figure I've ever seen. If he sees that his son has a serious chance, I don't think he would stand in his way.

sailingaway
03-27-2011, 09:04 PM
This is not a guy in it for himself. He wants the movement, the ideas, to thrive and spread. He's the most selfless political figure I've ever seen. If he sees that his son has a serious chance, I don't think he would stand in his way.

Then why don't you leave it to him?

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Then why don't you leave it to him?

Well, because decisions like this aren't made in a vacuum. When a potential candidate sees excitement and passion in the grassroots who would like to see him be President, he feels confident enough to throw his hat in the ring. But if the grassroots stay silent, waiting, we find ourselves in a catch-22 situation: we're waiting for him, meanwhile, he's waiting for us.

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 09:17 PM
No one's waiting. There's a debate in five weeks. At least one of them will be in it.

And there's no vacuum. Here we are, and thank God for the interwebz. They're factoring us in as much as they need to.

speciallyblend
03-27-2011, 09:18 PM
You used the right word. And I'm serious. I like the phrase.

We should spread it around. The conjunction of Rand getting some publicity and The Third War is too good.

DRAFT RAND BEFORE OBAMA DRAFTS YOU.

let me know when and where i can sign?

squarepusher
03-27-2011, 09:19 PM
too early for Rand to run, only 3 months in office so far

edit: If I wanted a feel good speaker I would vote for Obama

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 09:21 PM
This doesn't mean we can't set up one of those petitions, though. Good publicity is good publicity. Could be worth the trouble.

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 09:23 PM
No one's waiting. There's a debate in five weeks. At least one of them will be in it.

And there's no vacuum. Here we are, and thank God for the interwebz. They're factoring us in as much as they need to.

Ok, well answer this:

If I were Rand Paul, considering a run for president, how would I gauge the support of the people? How would I know if I have support or not?

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Ok, well answer this:

If I were Rand Paul, considering a run for president, how would I gauge the support of the people? How would I know if I have support or not?

What a great question.

Well, let's see. We're in an unprecedented time. Crazy decisions are being made. Decades of short term thinking are coming to haunt us. Age old political equations are blowing up in people's faces. As Lincoln said, 'The dogmas of a quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present.' And things are changing daily, with a money supply through the roof, just waiting to devalue completely, a group of people hell bent on WWIII, and a whole new internet to redefine how the game is played.

How is Rand (or Ron) to know if they have, or will have, sufficient support? Any way they can. Thank God Ron has twenty-two years experience.

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 09:46 PM
let me know when and where i can sign?

Thanks! I'm drafting it currently. Here's what I have so far. My objective is to state the main points in a clear, concise way that builds consensus. Suggestions are welcome. I want to post it as soon as possible.

PETITION TO DRAFT RAND PAUL FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES 2012

America is on an unsustainable course. Last year's budget deficit was $1.7 trillion, and the national debt is approaching 100% of GDP (over $14 trillion).

Republicans and Democrats bicker about trivial spending cuts.

RAND PAUL has proposed the bold reforms we need to control the deficit.

America is embroiled in two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and President Obama has committed us to a third war in Libya, without the approval of Congress or the American people.

RAND PAUL understands that American military actions have unintended consequences. He opposes the unconstitutional and reckless Libyan invasion.

America borrows billions from China, Japan, and other nations -- then gives it away to foreign governments. As a result, middle eastern rivals such as Israel and Egypt have engaged in a dangerous arms buildup.

RAND PAUL rejects spending money that we don't have on other nations!

The Federal Reserve - in order to finance the US deficit - has printed trillions of dollars out of thin air. Newly created money dilutes the purchasing power of the money in your pocket.

RAND PAUL supports auditing the federal reserve to make the Federal Reserve accountable to the American people!

We believe that Rand Paul is a strong articulate voice for sensible, constitutional government.

We believe that Rand Paul will address the unpleasant truths that face our nation.

We believe that Rand Paul is the bold leader that our country needs to chart a prosperous new course.

We the undersigned urge Rand Paul to run for President of the United States in 2012!

speciallyblend
03-27-2011, 10:16 PM
This doesn't mean we can't set up one of those petitions, though. Good publicity is good publicity. Could be worth the trouble.

totally agree, rand should run on publicity alone even if his dad is running in my view!! i would rather have 3 on the stage;)

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 10:46 PM
any comments on the text of the petition? I've refined it a bit more, here is the current version:

PETITION TO DRAFT RAND PAUL FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES 2012

America is on an unsustainable course. Last year's budget deficit was $1.3 trillion, and the national debt is approaching 100% of GDP (over $14 trillion). Republicans and Democrats bicker about trivial spending cuts.

RAND PAUL has proposed the bold reforms we need to control the deficit!

America is embroiled in two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and President Obama has committed us to a third war in Libya, without the approval of Congress or the American people.

RAND PAUL understands that American military actions have unintended consequences. He opposes the unconstitutional and reckless Libyan invasion!

America borrows billions from China, Japan, and other nations - then gives it away to foreign governments. As a result, Middle Eastern rivals such as Israel and Egypt have engaged in a dangerous arms buildup.

RAND PAUL rejects spending money that we don't have on other nations!

The Federal Reserve - in order to finance the US deficit - has printed trillions of dollars out of thin air. Newly created money dilutes the purchasing power of the money in your pocket.

RAND PAUL supports auditing the Federal Reserve to make it accountable to the American people!

We believe that RAND PAUL is a strong, articulate voice for sensible, constitutional government.

We believe that RAND PAUL will address the unpleasant truths that face our nation.

We believe that RAND PAUL is the bold leader that our country needs to chart a prosperous new course.

We the undersigned urge RAND PAUL to run for President of the United States in 2012!

anaconda
03-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Rand would be able to spin his "inexperience" as a plus. As in being outside the DC establishment and one "of the People." Plus he's in position of more facts and theories than just about any politician that I can recall. So he will comes across as very informed and resolved.

kjdaugirdas
03-27-2011, 10:56 PM
I agree. There's a wonderful quote about how "the great innovators of the world are usually very young or very new to their field". It applies in this case.

I am ready to click "Submit" on this petition... but I would love at least ONE second opinion :)

kjdaugirdas
03-28-2011, 12:50 AM
The die is cast! :))

http://www.petitiononline.com/randpaul/petition.html

Aratus
03-28-2011, 10:04 AM
chris mathew's people have got to have been reading these forum threads!
he brought up the speculation that seems to have been started by someone
GOP in S.C that highlighted how someone wants the primary chouises to go!!!
i know that RAND has said that if RON sits this one out, RAND may indeed run!

PaleoForPaul
03-28-2011, 10:21 AM
I think Rand can win more votes than Ron. It has nothing to do with who I like better personally, it has to do with the fact that most of the women I know who follow politics like Rand, but don't like Ron. Sometimes I think Ron is over their heads. IMHO: Ron is a philosopher, Rand is a politician who believes in a philosophy.

Galileo Galilei
03-28-2011, 11:51 AM
If Rand runs for president, it will ultimately draw more attention to Ron Paul's ideas, than if Ron runs himself. Rand will be instant 1st tier and probably front-runner after the first TV debate.