PDA

View Full Version : Is Ron Paul destined for the same fate as William Jennings Bryan?

Joey Fuller
03-27-2011, 04:38 PM
"Three times Bryan ran for President, and three times he was defeated under the pounding of newspapers owned or controlled by the domestic and international financiers who owned or controlled the institutions which could expand and contract the supply of money or what passed for money in the United States."

"What was true in Bryan's day has been true ever since, for it is an invariable reality that, if private interests are allowed to subvert the power of coining money, they will, unless prevented, also subvert the power of the press. Over the course of a century or more, the major financial institutions on Wall Street have acquired and maintained direct or indirect ownership and control of all major news media in the United States, and, since the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, they have used their power without scruple or conscience in shaping public opinion and swaying elections."

"Bryan won a respectable share of the vote for President in 1896, in 1900, and again in 1908, but never was able to overcome the massive power of the establishment press wielded by Wall Street. Nobody has yet overcome the beast created by the financing of the American Civil War."

-excerpts from the book BLOOD MONEY The Civil War and the Federal Reserve by John Remington Graham

full article-
http://www.tennesseesonsofliberty.com/2011/03/william-jennings-bryan-and-ron-paul.html

Joey Fuller
03-27-2011, 04:40 PM
I hope not.. It is my hope that the rise of the Alternative Media and the current Information Revolution will allow someone like Ron Paul and his ideals to flourish...

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 04:42 PM
His name was William Jennings Bryan and he lost four times. Plus, he had no internet. And he wasn't exactly a paradigm of support for the gold standard.

Joey Fuller
03-27-2011, 04:42 PM
It is my sincere belief that this is is true:
Ideas Can Overthrow Regimes
http://www.tennesseesonsofliberty.com/2011/03/ideas-can-overthrow-regimes.html

Joey Fuller
03-27-2011, 05:39 PM
sorry dyslexia kicking in..

FrankRep
03-27-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm not a fan of Williams Jennings Bryan.

shenlu54
03-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Bryan was more charismatic than Paul,but his idea was not as strong as Paul's.

malkusm
03-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah, Bryan was effectively a precursor to the progressive movement. In some sense, there are parallels that could be drawn -- Bryan galvanized strange bedfellows (organized labor, farmers, and those advocating for a bi-metal standard as opposed to just a gold standard). Bryan lost all of his elections, but it could be argued that he helped set the precedent for the Progressive Era which gave rise to his ideas and many more that built on them.

Hopefully, Ron Paul's legacy will endure in the same way, and a Liberty Era will ensue.

malkusm
03-27-2011, 07:55 PM
I fixed the thread title for you, OP. ;)

FrankRep
03-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Bryan lost all of his elections, but it could be argued that he helped set the precedent for the Progressive Era which gave rise to his ideas and many more that built on them.

Hopefully, Ron Paul's legacy will endure in the same way, and a Liberty Era will ensue.

William Jennings Bryan's support helped Woodrow Wilson win the election too.

Also, Theodore Roosevelt (Republican / Bull Moose) ran against William Taft (Republican) to help sabotage the election, which gave Woodrow Wilson the advantage.

Wikipedia: United States presidential election, 1912 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1912)

Democrat Woodrow Wilson was nominated on the 46th ballot of a contentious convention, thanks to the support of William Jennings Bryan, the three-time Democratic presidential candidate who still had a large and loyal following in 1912.

Joey Fuller
03-28-2011, 12:07 AM
thanks.. good to know

TER
03-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Doesn't Egypt have a state-run media? Tunisia? Libya? Media power has its limits in this day and age.

I don't believe in the assertion that the conditions are the same as in William Jennings Bryan's day. The internet has leveled the playing field against corporate media outlets with an agenda. Maybe not to the extreme needed to make it impotent in this country yet, but when the hunger, inflation, overall pain level finally really starts to hit this country, the people will not so easily be duped when they have an unrestricted internet connection.

Which is why government control of the internet is perhaps the most repressive power a government can have in the modern world.

StilesBC
03-28-2011, 12:27 AM
It was my understanding that Bryan overthrew the Cleveland-era Democrats, shifting them from a laissez-faire party to an interventionist one. That's how I understood it from reading Rothbard's "History". In that sense, I hope you're right and Ron Paul ushers in a new era of Libertarainism in the Republican party.

cindy25
03-28-2011, 04:38 AM
Ron may never be president, but Rand will. Time is not on our side for Ron.
I think the better comparison is with Prescott Bush or Joseph P Kennedy.

and there could be a Mr Chips moment for Ron if the winds blow the right way

Travlyr
03-28-2011, 10:06 AM
"What was true in Bryan's day has been true ever since, for it is an invariable reality that, if private interests are allowed to subvert the power of coining money, they will, unless prevented, also subvert the power of the press. Over the course of a century or more, the major financial institutions on Wall Street have acquired and maintained direct or indirect ownership and control of all major news media in the United States, and, since the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, they have used their power without scruple or conscience in shaping public opinion and swaying elections."

"Bryan won a respectable share of the vote for President in 1896, in 1900, and again in 1908, but never was able to overcome the massive power of the establishment press wielded by Wall Street. Nobody has yet overcome the beast created by the financing of the American Civil War."
Fact. So far. TV, radio (Carl Marx Levin, et.al.) and the educational system are still a major obstacles. Yet, one by one people are learning that when one group of privileged people garnered the power (1860's) to create a $10,000 bill for the same cost as a $1 bill while forcing everyone else to keep working harder for their $10,000 than their $1, then they begin to understand that counterfeiting pays big bucks but adds nothing to wealth. The elite rulers simply steal inherent wealth from individuals, and they use their loot to control the ignorant masses. In 1792, their shenanigans was a capital crime, but Salmon P. Chase fixed that for them ... now it is business as usual. They are a formidable opponent.

-excerpts from the book BLOOD MONEY The Civil War and the Federal Reserve by John Remington Graham
Excellent book! This book is like finding the last pieces of the true history puzzle that was not told to us by our 'educators', TV, newspapers, or radio.

Aratus
03-28-2011, 10:17 AM
william jennings bryan the pacifist keeps
us out of WW1 for more than two years.
he was secretary of state under wilson.