PDA

View Full Version : Paul/Johnson 2012

speciallyblend
03-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Join Conservatives and Libertarians against Romney, Huckabee, Gingrich and Palin
http://www.facebook.com/antineocons?sk=wall shared via facebook

Gary Johnson to launch 2012 presidential bid in April
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51993.html

Go Gary,Supporting Ron Paul as a delegate but i am glad Gary is running to help open more eyes to the Liberty Movement!! I would support a Paul/Johnson 2012 ticket or reverse or Rand/Johnson or reversed, after that the gop would force me to vote 3rd Party! Ron Paul vs Obama republicans minus Gary of course!! holding the gop accountable is my #1 Goal, kenny republican delegate!!!!!!! ps did my best to make the loudest cheer for Gary at CPAC:)

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Looks like we'll have his voice in the May debate.

trey4sports
03-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah, IMHO this is the closest well come to a "dream" ticket, and, it would be a damn good ticket if America knew what was good for her

speciallyblend
03-26-2011, 11:02 PM
let us make it a reality:)

BamaAla
03-26-2011, 11:07 PM
A man can dream.

Why can't the rest of the country see the good in this?

Liberty_Mike
03-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Ron Paul and Gary Johnson need to unite and form a President/VP ticket right now. They could campaign together as a team, which would gain a lot more traction than them running against each other in the primaries.

tangent4ronpaul
03-27-2011, 12:36 AM
campaigning apart covers more ground - if on the same ticket or not.

-t

Kotin
03-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Johnson would be unlikely to do it.. That's what I get from asking him about it and from what others have said who have talked to him about it personally..

tangent4ronpaul
03-27-2011, 12:41 AM
His poll numbers are in the low single digits. If they stay there, he might re-consider.

libertybrewcity
03-27-2011, 01:33 AM
in theory it would be great, but strategically not so great.

he also seems to be too good for a winnable senate seat, so i wouldn't doubt it if he thinks he's too good for a vp position.

FrankRep
03-27-2011, 01:37 AM
Gary Johnson to launch 2012 presidential bid in April
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51993.html

I question how popular Gary Johnson is with the General population.

teacherone
03-27-2011, 03:19 AM
I question how popular Gary Johnson is with the General population.

his favorability rating among the 1% of the population that has ever heard of him is very impressive.

IDefendThePlatform
03-27-2011, 05:49 AM
I like having a second liberty candidate "spreading the message" but I've got to think this hurts us overall. Unless he drops out and endorses RP just prior to the primaries, he will be taking votes from RP in New Hampshire for sure, and probably other places.

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 06:49 AM
his favorability rating among the 1% of the population that has ever heard of him is very impressive.

I like having a second liberty candidate "spreading the message" but I've got to think this hurts us overall. Unless he drops out and endorses RP just prior to the primaries, he will be taking votes from RP in New Hampshire for sure, and probably other places.

There was a thread on here a short while back suggesting we swamp the stage in the early, early debate (which happens in about five weeks) with libertarian voices so Ron sounds more mainstream. I agree, and welcome his participation.

For a while. After that? VP by all means. He might be the most boring VP since Mondale. That would actually be refreshing.

IDefendThePlatform
03-27-2011, 07:06 AM
There was a thread on here a short while back suggesting we swamp the stage in the early, early debate (which happens in about five weeks) with libertarian voices so Ron sounds more mainstream. I agree, and welcome his participation.

For a while. After that? VP by all means. He might be the most boring VP since Mondale. That would actually be refreshing.

Actually, that sounds like a good strategy. Who else could we get to run (for a while) and then be sure to drop out a few weeks before the first primary....

I would say Rand, but that is a little odd and he already said he wouldn't.

Maybe Mike Lee or Justin Amash? They probably wouldn't want to sacrifice their political credibility for this, though.

RileyE104
03-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Gary Johnson has openly stated that there will never be a Paul/Johnson or Johnson/Paul ticket... Why are people still throwing it around like it's a possibility?

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Gary Johnson has openly stated that there will never be a Paul/Johnson or Johnson/Paul ticket... Why are people still throwing it around like it's a possibility?

I guess basically because when he said that it didn't really seem like a possibility. What is that quote, three years old?

Gary, didn't anyone ever teach you never to say never? Whatcha gonna do if you actually get the call? Refuse your nation the service?

The Dark Knight
03-27-2011, 10:34 AM
I too think Johnson would be great but I still like Ron Paul better. while i think there are some benefits to Johnson running, overall it will hurt the movement. It may keep Ron from winning the Iowa straw poll (which will be a HUGE blow to the movement) and Ron Paul's campaign. If he drops out before Iowa Caucus then I think it will be ok but if he stays in, we will have two candidates spliting the vote and that gets us nowhere.
Does Gary actually think he will get more votes than Ron or even have a chance of winning? Does he not understand that if he runs he greatly hinders the chances of the greatest defender of Liberty in our lifetime of possibly winning the presidency?

sailingaway
03-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Johnson made it clear in an interview he wouldn't pick Ron if the situations were reversed.

I don't think it's a good idea.

sailingaway
03-27-2011, 10:38 AM
I guess basically because when he said that it didn't really seem like a possibility. What is that quote, three years old?

Gary, didn't anyone ever teach you never to say never? Whatcha gonna do if you actually get the call? Refuse your nation the service?

He said it about a month ago, I thought.

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 10:45 AM
He said it about a month ago, I thought.

Hm. Sometimes the guy makes me scratch my head. Did Cheney give the office that bad a name? Of course, Biden isn't helping any more than Agnew did.

kahless
03-27-2011, 10:49 AM
I may look at Gary over Ron depending on where he stands on the environment. I had dismissed him over social security which I thought should allow me to opt out now and be paid back what I put in, rather than Gary's solution of increasing the age. However the environmental issues are more important to me depending where he stands. For example my family and I not being forced to be a tax slaves to the nuclear power industry for generations to come and protecting my private property rights from it. Unlike Ron's hypocritical view on nuclear power.

Ron's ignorant Rush Limbaugh type comment about the Gulf oil spill being cleaned up since we do not see any pictures of it is also disturbing to me. So I am just about out of here and if I can find a candidate like Ron except on the environment and if Gary fits that bill than so be it.

anaconda
03-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah, IMHO this is the closest well come to a "dream" ticket, and, it would be a damn good ticket if America knew what was good for her

Agreed but I think if it turns out to be Rand he may unfortunately have to go with someone like DeMint. I think Pat Buchanan would trump both.

trey4sports
03-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Johnson said a Paul/Johnson ticket isn't feasible because they need to reach out to more than the liberty wing of the GOP. Which is correct although most people on this forum are in denial or think they can reinvent the wheel

trey4sports
03-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Agreed but I think if it turns out to be Rand he may unfortunately have to go with someone like DeMint. I think Pat Buchanan would trump both.

I could see that somewhat, but I'm afraid Buchanan has lost relevance and I doubt he has any interest in running again. A WINNING ticket would probably have to include a VP choice that few would be excited about.

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Johnson said a Paul/Johnson ticket isn't feasible because they need to reach out to more than the liberty wing of the GOP. Which is correct although most people on this forum are in denial or think they can reinvent the wheel

But it's so hard to be sure, these days. This populist movement, this increasing disenchantment with government, is unprecedented in our recent history. So, who knows how much conventional wisdom and how many proven strategies will fall by the wayside?

I'm inclined to be variable on many things where the VP is concerned. But on one thing I'm very firm: I don't want someone who is currently with the 'in' crowd.

speciallyblend
03-27-2011, 03:47 PM
reading thru the thread i like what acptulsa is saying in general:) the bottom line is Ron Paul 2012 and if gary wants to turn down a vp spot then more power to him! bottom line gary either take a vp spot or run for senate or run for president giving more voices to liberty! In the end i see myself supporting Ron or Rand out of necessity and the fact the gop has no one with credibility or an ounce of trust leaves me with Ron Paul 2012.... ps do not get me wrong but if the lp folks do not join the gop and become delegates then gary is dead in the water!!! If ron paul cannot get the lp to join the gop how in the hell does gary think he can when i see NO PUSH for him by new members or old!! Ron Paul 2012!! the lp reminds me of a teenager bitching about everything but not willing to do a damn thing about it!!

Thomas
03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
I think Gary will make Ron look less radical and having two libertarians on the stage will show that our ideas are becoming more mainstream and popular. Gary and Ron will bring in different types of people, it will grow the movement. This would also be a great launching pad for a Senate run if Gary so chooses.

speciallyblend
03-27-2011, 04:29 PM
I think Gary will make Ron look less radical and having two libertarians on the stage will show that our ideas are becoming more mainstream and popular. Gary and Ron will bring in different types of people, it will grow the movement. This would also be a great launching pad for a Senate run if Gary so chooses.

so basically gary can run for president then next election run for senate? If this is the case then this is the plan. GaRY KNOWS HE WILL NOT GET CLOSE TO RON PAUL 2008 SUPPORT LEVEL SO I AM LOOKING AT THIS AS MORE VOICES ON THE STAGE FOR LIBERTY!!

trey4sports
03-27-2011, 04:30 PM

Couldn't agree more. Gary is here to expand the base!

Fredom101
03-27-2011, 05:27 PM
The Gary Johnson for president has been in the works a long time. The insiders to the libertarian cause have been planning for both Johnson and Ron Paul to be in the GOP primaries. The idea was that they have essentially the same message, so there would be 2 candidates bringing up the important topics instead of just one. I'm okay with this plan, just wish Johnson was principled like RP.