PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Increases Income Tax; Caterpillar Inc Plans to Leave the State in Protest!

FrankRep
03-26-2011, 08:46 PM
http://www.topnews.in/files/caterpiller.jpg

Caterpillar CEO's letter talks of leaving Illinois (http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/article_3c23590c-572a-11e0-afc0-001cc4c002e0.html)

Pantagraph
March 25, 2011

SPRINGFIELD -- The chairman and CEO of Peoria-based Caterpillar Inc. is raising the specter of moving the heavy equipment maker out of Illinois.

In a letter sent March 21 to Gov. Pat Quinn, Caterpillar chief executive officer Doug Oberhelman said officials in at least four other states have approached the company about relocating since Illinois raised its income tax in January.

"I want to stay here. But as the leader of this business, I have to do what's right for Caterpillar when making decisions about where to invest," Oberhelman wrote in the letter obtained Friday by the Lee Enterprises Springfield bureau. "The direction that this state is headed in is not favorable to business and I'd like to work with you to change that."

Related News:

Amazon.com is dumping Illinois as well.

Illinois Targets Amazon.com With Sales Tax Legislation; Amazon.com Fights Back! (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/computers/6673-illinois-sales-tax-law-leaves-amazon-affiliates-high-and-dry)

Amazon drops its Illinois affiliates to avoid paying sales tax under a newly enacted state law targeting online retailers.

TCE
03-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Seriously, out here, I hear of a business that either is moving out of the state or is out of business every other week. Michigan Avenue, one of our premier streets for commerce, some of you may know it as the Magnificent Mile, has store closings left and right. Luckily for the Democrats in Springfield, the people will never put 2 and 2 together and they'll keep voting for them, and they know it.

FrankRep
03-27-2011, 01:32 AM
http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Screen-shot-2011-03-19-at-9.14.27-AM1.png

Is Indiana About To Be Overrun By A Giant Caterpillar? (A Tax Exodus Story) (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/is-indiana-about-to-be-overrun-by-a-giant-caterpillar-a-tax-exodus-story/)

The Blaze
March 25, 2011

Less than a week ago, we reported (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/illinnoyed-by-high-taxes-indiana-wants-you/) on the state of Indiana’s efforts to lure businesses from Illinois to their more tax-friendly environment.

It appears that Caterpillar may be Illinnoyed enough to leave. This very large manufacturing company may have seen the benefits of such a geographic shift and is considering pulling up stakes and moving to the Hoosier state.

Full Story:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/is-indiana-about-to-be-overrun-by-a-giant-caterpillar-a-tax-exodus-story/

Stary Hickory
03-27-2011, 05:37 AM
People will always choose freedom (or more freedom) over oppression. As long as they have that choice which is why supporters of big government scams are never content to simply keep it at the state level, they want to make sure people cannot escape their "plans".

AZKing
03-27-2011, 05:40 AM
Good. Perhaps Illinois will end up like Detroit :)

Stary Hickory
03-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Not much sympathy these days for states that do that to themselves, let them experience exactly why big government and its corruption are lethal. It might be the only thing that wakes up voters to the truth. Bring on the pain.

MN Patriot
03-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Boeing moved their headquarters from Seattle to Chicago in 2001. Wonder if they regret that now. Or maybe doesn't matter, since Boeing is the 3rd largest government contractor. Caterpillar doesn't even make the top 100.

Grubb556
03-27-2011, 06:37 AM
I guess the people of Illinois better move out, while they still have the means to do so, or before they get overtaxed and can't move out.

Kludge
03-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Good. Perhaps Illinois will end up like Detroit :)
One of the more terrifying aspects of laws as mentioned in the OP is how much power this gives states - to give to corporations.

Former MI gov. Jennifer Granholm was very proud of her ability to bring businesses to MI with tax breaks and other benefits. Totally unfair setup set up by unfair people on purpose.

My dad, as it happened, was working for an auto parts manufacturer in MI which went bankrupt. Operations continued, but the company would soon need to cease operations. Granholm, perhaps feeling sorry her policies helped crush the company, worked with (by providing unfair tax incentives) a giant Italian firm to purchase the company. The company is now part of an enormous and reputable operation turning a profit because gov't agreed to get out of the way since it'd otherwise be unprofitable for the factory to operate. This is what politicians mean these days when they say they want to "bring jobs to [insert state here]."

WorldonaString
03-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Man...thats my backyard. CAT and the State Prison employ the overwhelming majority of folks in my hometown. Next time I call home I'm sure this is gonna be the biggest story going on by far. Its all hitting home.

I say if somethings gotta go, get rid of the prison! (though try telling that to all my neighbors on payroll...)

economics102
03-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Not much sympathy these days for states that do that to themselves, let them experience exactly why big government and its corruption are lethal. It might be the only thing that wakes up voters to the truth. Bring on the pain.

This. Exactly.

TCE
03-27-2011, 12:28 PM

In Illinois? They will vote Democrat no matter what, even if our taxes are raised 10,000%. Chicago runs the state. Just look at the Governor's Race in Illinois. (http://www.politico.com/2010/maps/#/Governor/2010/IL) He won Chicago, and thus won the Governor's Mansion.

ivflight
03-27-2011, 12:58 PM

No sympathy for the states? What does that mean? What about the people? Not everyone votes democrat and not every is able to just get up and move.

FrankRep
03-27-2011, 01:03 PM
No sympathy for the states? What does that mean? What about the people? Not everyone votes democrat and not every is able to just get up and move.
The people vote in the leaders. They create their own hell.

MozoVote
03-27-2011, 01:07 PM
I've been reading some other threads on this. Employees of CAT are saying the threat to move is mostly bluster since the company is locked into some long term agreements (for the next several years at least).

However, CAT's expansion has generally been elsewhere. Their presence in Illinois will probably continue to wither away. At some point the headquarters could move, even if they keep the plants in Illinois operational.

IBleedNavyAndOrange
03-27-2011, 01:41 PM
A friends wife works for Cat in Aurora/ Montgomery. The union employees just signed a new contract within the last couple of weeks.

Stary Hickory
03-27-2011, 01:46 PM

Well then move or fight back. The faster this all comes down the better off those will be that are honest. The collapse of states like these will be a boon for those you are concerned for. There are certain states you could not pay me enough to live in. Every state has its issue but when they are this far gone, it's a result of a lazy or ignorant electorate(in large).

I can tell you this I wills send not one penny to states who are going bankrupt let them go under.

jclay2
03-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Fortunately, I got a job after graduation. Unfortunately, its in illinois and the new tax increase will reduce my take home pay by $ 1000!

HOLLYWOOD
03-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Let the Crooked and Greedy politicians and collaborating government workers turn Illinois into another Michigan despot shithole. Time it correctly and leave the state, because the corruption is reaching and rampant, I don't think there's a chance of ever fixing it.

po14015
03-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Just to be clear. IL is two different states: One Chicago Land and the other downstate.

Also, CAT's headquarters are in Peoria (downstate) but a lot of development was taking place in one specific spot of Texas. Many thought it was strange for the area they selected in TX until you look at where the NAFTA super highway will run.

Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_and_Prosperity_Partnership_of_North_Ameri ca

http://www.gov.mb.ca/ctt/invest/busfacts/images/natcorrid_lg.jpg

ivflight
03-27-2011, 07:42 PM
The people vote in the leaders. They create their own hell.

Not all of the people vote that way. This is like saying the slaves deserved slavery.

FrankRep
03-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Not all of the people vote that way. This is like saying the slaves deserved slavery.

You're comparing Voting to Slavery?

ivflight
03-27-2011, 07:55 PM

I'm comparing forced servitude to slavery. Ok, so they can move and be slightly less forced in a different state, so its a bit nicer.

ivflight
03-27-2011, 07:57 PM

I mostly just think its dumb when someone lumps a whole group of people together and tell them they deserved what they got, even though there are plenty within that group that are trying to move things the other way. This is the same collective mindset the libs use.

doodle
03-27-2011, 07:58 PM
This has to be a short term mishap, in the end the state will flourish. It's capitol Chicago is sister city of famous Petah Tikva that god has promised to bless.

puppetmaster
03-27-2011, 08:57 PM
they will get an exemption...