PDA

View Full Version : US Naval Update: CVN 65 Enterprise Abandons Libya, Reinforces CVN 70 Vinson In Straits Of

Agorism
03-26-2011, 08:35 PM
US Naval Update: CVN 65 Enterprise Abandons Libya, Reinforces CVN 70 Vinson In Straits Of Hormuz

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/us-naval-update-cvn-65-enterprise-abandons-libya-reinforces-cvn-70-vinson-straits-hormuz

Wonder why the administration made such a stink of reducing the US airborne presence around Libya, and handing it off to France, Italy, Canada and Turkey? Here's the answer: the CVN65 Enterprise which last week was within striking distance of Libya, has quietly left the Red Sea and is now virtually swimming in the wake of CVN 70 Vinson in the Strait of Hormuz. Because obviously whatever is about to happen in the Persian Gulf will need not one but two aircraft carrier formations. And meanwhile in Japan the Washington is doing all it can to put radiation free miles between itself and Fukushima, even as the Essex, chock full of marines is sitting on the coast waiting for orders.

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 08:43 PM
The best case scenario is they want to introduce a deterrance to keep things quiet around there.

I don't have faith that this is a best case scenario.

sailingaway
03-26-2011, 09:25 PM
The US leads NATO, we shouldn't be in this at all, through NATO or otherwise, without Congressional action.

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Last of the oil-fired carriers, God bless her. I honestly thought she had been put in reserve.

I would be happy to have her away from Libya if she didn't go support another in those infamous straits.

Agorism
03-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Most carriers are nuclear? Which of the two do you refer?

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Most carriers are nuclear? Which of the two do you refer?

Old Enterprise is the only active oil burner remaining. Unless they've sailed some (more?) of the reserve units out of Bremerton.

Or was she the first nuke? Let me check...

Well beat me with a stick. First of the nukes. That's right, the last oil burner was retired, CV 66 America. Leaving the question of how they were going to dispose of those shipboard nuclear plants in the air for the time being.

Sorry 'bout that. They're all nuclear.

pcosmar
03-26-2011, 10:10 PM
The best case scenario is they want to introduce a deterrance to keep things quiet around there.

I don't have faith that this is a best case scenario.

Nor do I.

Deterrenceterrorism
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.