PDA

View Full Version : Paul/Powell 2012

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 05:50 PM
I don't care what Colin Powell has said about Ron Paul in the past. If we got the man the nomination, Powell would run with him. A call to duty.

And I know he got some strange words put in his mouth a while back. But I was there and paying attention, and I know he was having a rough time of it. I also remember a news conference (but I don't remember enough to search up a toob) where it was painfully obvious that he was 'out of the loop', which makes me believe he was trying hard to limit the stupidity of the hour.

I, for one, would be psyched.

low preference guy
03-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Didn't he lead the Iraq invasion?

kahless
03-26-2011, 05:59 PM

Beat me to it. Pro-choice and for gun control. The only thing I can think of that I liked hearing about him is when it was reported that he referred to the Neocon's in the Bush administration as "fucking crazies".

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Was head of the Joint Chiefs at the beginning of the first one, and Secretary of State at the beginning of the second one. Then quit. Had a little quiet trouble getting along with Bushes.

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Beat me to it. Pro-choice and for gun control. The only thing I can think of that I liked hearing about him is when it was reported that he referred to the Neocon's in the Bush administration as "fucking crazies".

Yeah, what can I say? I'm crazy about the idea of balancing the ticket. I don't want the best libertarian we got to quit and sit around being VP. I just want someone tptb doesn't trust, so they won't shoot Paul. And more votes, of course.

libertybrewcity
03-26-2011, 06:04 PM
lol, there are much better choices. indys still pair up powell with bush, and that is a no-no.

low preference guy
03-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Was head of the Joint Chiefs at the beginning of the first one, and Secretary of State at the beginning of the second one. Then quit. Had a little quiet trouble getting along with Bushes.

I doubt RP could stomach even the thought of having the Secretary of State at the time of the invasion be his VP.

libertybrewcity
03-26-2011, 06:05 PM
there are much better choices. indys still pair up powell with bush, and that is a no-no. he also endorsed obama in 2008
http://articles.cnn.com/2008-10-19/politics/colin.powell_1_state-colin-powell-obama-bill-ayers?_s=PM:POLITICS

doodle
03-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Obama/Powell or Obama/Cheney is more likely and natural ticket in 2012 than Paul/Powell.

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 06:07 PM
lol, there are much better choices. indys still pair up powell with bush, and that is a no-no.

Yeah. Good for race and for reassuring those who aren't really warhawks at heart but are very pro-defense--a more numerous bloc than people realize. But that is some heavy baggage.

doodle
03-26-2011, 06:13 PM
I don't care what Colin Powell has said about Ron Paul in the past. If we got the man the nomination, Powell would run with him. A call to duty.

And I know he got some strange words put in his mouth a while back. But I was there and paying attention, and I know he was having a rough time of it. I also remember a news conference (but I don't remember enough to search up a toob) where it was painfully obvious that he was 'out of the loop', which makes me believe he was trying hard to limit the stupidity of the hour.

I, for one, would be psyched.

Were you serious or this was for comic relief?

He was not only "out of the loop" but also a complete idiot to make the bogus claims he did by acting as a "puppet of color" for the war machine. He did not find his missing brain till Iraq war became unpopular. There is not much difference between Powell and Obama's politics.

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 06:18 PM
I just feel like he is no longer trusted by tptb, which makes him a way to widen the appeal of the ticket without making our man a tempting target. But people here are right; he'll do at least as much to narrow as widen the appeal of the ticket.

Besides, he'd be far more helpful in the primaries than the general election, and no one is presumptuous enough to choose a running mate before the convention. So, bad plan.

doodle
03-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Out of box thinking can be good sometimes :) But making very important decisons to avoid becoming "a tempting target" is not the way leaders operate or should operate. In fact, in general you are not bringing about any major or worthwhile change if you are not a target for someone.

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 06:31 PM
True. But, damn it, somebody had better do it.

Wren
03-26-2011, 06:38 PM
We need someone trustworthy as VP, first and foremost. What if something, anything, happens to RP during his service? Forget about trying to unite the base with double-speaking hypocrites like bachmann or powell. My first decision is Rand because I see no one else that is more trustworthy than RP's own son and he does wonders in re-packaging RP's message so the teo-cons can accept it. Problem is Rand has little experience and they will write him off for that and compare him to Sarah Palin.

Matthew Zak
03-26-2011, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't support a Paul/Powell ticket. But if Powell endorsed Paul I would pimp that shit on youtube like it could cure cancer.

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 06:42 PM
But if Powell endorsed Paul I would pimp that shit on youtube like it could cure cancer.

LOL More than possible; seems like he was more than lukewarm last 'round, when our man was still He Who Must Not Be Named.

Agorism
03-26-2011, 07:03 PM
What are with all these bad choices for VP. Another 1 out of 5 star threads.

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 07:05 PM
What are with all these bad choices for VP. Another 1 out of 5 star threads.

Well, damn it, what's with all these bad choices for every office in the land? Where the hell are the good ones?

libertybrewcity
03-26-2011, 07:11 PM
We need someone trustworthy as VP, first and foremost. What if something, anything, happens to RP during his service? Forget about trying to unite the base with double-speaking hypocrites like bachmann or powell. My first decision is Rand because I see no one else that is more trustworthy than RP's own son and he does wonders in re-packaging RP's message so the teo-cons can accept it. Problem is Rand has little experience and they will write him off for that and compare him to Sarah Palin.

this is true. anyone that makes an attempt at the federal reserve's life will definitely get some kind of negative blowback..

1000-points-of-fright
03-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Powell is already on Right Wing Radio's shit list. Rush, Levin, Hannity all hate him. Plus, they already hate RP. Of course, if RP is at the point of picking a VP it means he's already got the GOP nomination which means they'll all vote for him over Obama or Hillary. They'd have no choice... they won't vote Democrat and they wouldn't wanna waste their vote by voting third party.

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I don't know how well he'd play in the general election. He's obviously strong from a defense standpoint, and would reassure those who mistakenly think Ron Paul to be weak on national self-defense. And I think I'm not the only one who remembers him as being the black sheep of the Dubya administration who quit, seemingly out of conscience. But that doesn't mean that's strong enough evidence to play well in Peoria. I'm not convinced he's so out of step with tptb myself.

Agorism
03-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Bachmann has little experience in the private sector prior to becoming a politico. In fact she worked for the government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Bachmann#Early_Career

From 1988 to 1993, Bachmann was an attorney representing the commissioner of the I.R.S..[22] She left her position with the IRS to become a full-time mother.[26]