PDA

View Full Version : Paul/Coburn 2012

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 05:29 PM
In some ways, it isn't a balanced ticket. Regionally, for example, it's hardly balanced, but neither was Clinton/Gore so maybe that stuff is overrated. They're both true (as opposed to self-proclaimed) mavericks. Of course, we don't consider that a disadvantage, though we might resent that Dr. Coburn isn't a libertarian. But, hey, that's balance. Coalition building is important.

Coburn intends to retire the Senate after this term (January 2015). We'd probably be better off in the general with something other than two white guys. Any other thoughts?

low preference guy
03-26-2011, 05:38 PM
I think he'd be acceptable, and so would be Walter Williams or Jim DeMint.

tangent4ronpaul
03-26-2011, 05:55 PM
michele bachmann

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Well, no one's shooting him down in flames...

Agorism
03-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Bachmann would be an awful choice....

low preference guy
03-26-2011, 07:00 PM

he is way better than Powell

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 07:04 PM

Damning the man with faint praise, maybe, but not shooting him down. Yet.

tangent4ronpaul
03-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Bachmann would be an awful choice....

She's kind of a hawk, but the tea party loves her.

She's female and a good speaker.

Agorism
03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't even vote for Paul if Bachmann were on the ticket....

tangent4ronpaul
03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Coburn:

+good record

-stance on abortion is going to alienate any obamabots we might attract
-he's basically unknown

scrosnoe
03-28-2011, 03:57 AM
Someone seems to want some additional debate here having been poked by my good friend acptulsa on this thread.

So having been invited to comment here goes: As an okie and a Republican pct chair in good standing, I must ask, would you all be discussing the Coburn who voted for the Bush bailout right after the speech he gave stating he knew it was unconstitutional; the one who supported the patriot act and its renewal; and the fellow who doesn't seem to understand the function of earmarks in the budget process as one of the ways for Congress to actually fulfill their mandate of monetary oversight? Is this the Coburn who endorsed John McCain early on in the 2008 primary and failed to support any constitutional limited gov type Republicans challenging incumbent R bailout voters in the 2010 primary?

I don't think Paul would ask and I don't suspect Coburn would accept a position on a Paul ticket; but IF I am not up on some serious change of heart he has had and should be giving him more of a chance to change then that would be good news of the strength of the movement and our message too!

Coburn is solidly prolife and for me that is a strong plus, but backbone at appropriate moments seems to fail him and these times call for that for sure -- even in a VP slot. He might be good to keep in mind for a Surgeon General appointment or something with more medical and less policy implications. We will know more about him shortly if he stands up publicly to oppose Gov Fallin's move to help implement Obamacare by accepting $54M to do so. That is going to be enlightening to say the least!

I want to bring people like this along and give them a chance to change and come go with us, but once trust has been lost it is difficult to regain. So how do we know when someone 'gets' it now? More good votes than bad is a good place to start. Standing up in the face of strong opposition just because it is the right thing to do also helps gain points with me. Plenty of opportunities these days.

Blessings all~

ds21089
03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
I wouldn't even vote for Paul if Bachmann were on the ticket....

Agreed. If something were to happen to Ron, God forbid, we'd be totally fucked.

acptulsa
03-28-2011, 07:06 AM
I want to bring people like this along and give them a chance to change and come go with us, but once trust has been lost it is difficult to regain. So how do we know when someone 'gets' it now?

Wow. Ask a simple question and dive off in some deep philosophy. Love it.

We change the rules on them, then we aren't impressed even if they follow the new rules. Me too. If Ron Paul were more typical he'd be richer, fatter, better fixed for retirement and have a trophy wife. He also wouldn't have inspired an important movement. Unfortunate that there's only one of him.

And one of him isn't a balanced ticket. Isn't Consitiutional, either. That document is kinda particular that the president and vice president not be one and the same person.

So, we are tolerant of 'converts' until they screw up in voting, we run ourselves and sacrifice our privacy to the Public Political Fishbowl, or both. Or.... what?

Coburn is in no way middle of the road. And he did vote for a bailout or two, but certainly not all of them. But in one way he is kinda middle of the road--sometimes he 'goes with the neocon flow' and sometimes he doesn't. I personally think he smells of conscience, even if he's liable to ignore it if he thinks a questionable bill would be helpful, or is the best we can get out of a flawed congress.

I guess, in the end, we do need to encourage conscience, but should be less eager to condemn pragmatism. And Coburn isn't our best choice, if only because he's from Oklahoma and Paul's from Texas, and that isn't balance...