PDA

View Full Version : Paul/Bachman 2012

trey4sports
03-25-2011, 05:35 PM
This is our ticket folks. Whether it's Ron or Rand we need Bachman. I don't really like her but she is the missing puzzle piece to a winning campaign IMHO

She does well with self-identified conservatives and with women. I don't know if she appeals to the religious right but im willing to guess she does. These are groups that we NEED. On the PLUS side, she will at least pay lip service to minimizing the FED.

In fact i'll go a step further and guess that she will be the likely VP for whoever gets the GOP nod.

misconstrued
03-25-2011, 05:50 PM
I don't like her and I don't trust her.

acptulsa
03-25-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't like her and I don't trust her.

Well, as long as we trust the Secret Service, it could be ok.

She has the advantages of attracting female votes, yankee votes and even a few neocon 'hold your nose and vote for Paul so we can win' votes. And she's just palatable enough that she wouldn't piss us, the base, off as much as, say, Meghan McCain or Palin.

Kotin
03-25-2011, 05:58 PM
her and dr.paul are friends in congress if I remember correctly.. but her foreign policy is enough to make that duo very unlikely..

Sola_Fide
03-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Strictly speaking about personality, she seems abrasive to me.

But I think you are right in that she has a good shot to be a vp. Rubio does too, unfortunately.

Johnnymac
03-25-2011, 06:05 PM
For some reason when i think of her i think of palin

AZKing
03-25-2011, 06:11 PM
I think she's just another big talk no walk Tea Partier. That is evidenced by her vote for the PATRIOT Act. Anyone who claims to be conservative/TEA/constitutionalist shouldn't be voting for it.

At any rate, how does she fare with independents? I think that's where the focus really needs to be. A Republican ticket, in theory, should attract most of the Conservative/neocon/social con/TEA voters anyway, because they're tired of Obama.

brandon
03-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Makes about zero sense. She has even less general election appeal than Ron. And there is a general stigma about congresspeople running for VP or president, so it would be a bad bet to have two of them on a ticket. He would need to find a governor or senator for his VP. Johnson would be a decent choice if we would quit talking about smoking pot.

nayjevin
03-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Nope. Need the best person for the job.

I would like a woman as V.P., but not as a sideshow, and not one who doesn't understand liberty.

Karen Kwiatkowski (http://libertyclick.com/archive/heroes-of-liberty/karen-kwiatkowski/)? Naomi Wolf (http://libertyclick.com/archive/heroes-of-liberty/naomi-wolf/)?

RonPaulFanInGA
03-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Makes about zero sense. She has even less general election appeal than Ron.

This.

Ron Paul would need to find a Governor or a Senator, preferably the former, that has a lot of mainstream appeal.

sailingaway
03-25-2011, 06:29 PM
her and dr.paul are friends in congress if I remember correctly.. but her foreign policy is enough to make that duo very unlikely..

She also voted for the Patriot Act and for the leadership budget package.

Guitarzan
03-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Thought for a second it said Paul/Buchanan. I'd like that much more...

acptulsa
03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Wonder if Coburn would do it? He's currently slated to retire in '14.

JohnEngland
03-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Paul/Bachmann? I could see it...

http://montagestudio9.smugmug.com/Montage-Politics-by-Dave/Homeschooling-Day-At-Capitol/IMG0106/1226608622_3esbt-L.jpg

heavenlyboy34
03-25-2011, 06:57 PM
I say the old system in which the VP and Prez are elected separately should be restored. :cool: /rebel

IDefendThePlatform
03-25-2011, 06:58 PM
No way. Putting her on the ticket would undermine everything Dr. P stands for.

We need a true libertarian/constitutionalist type.

Judge Nap
Gary Johnson
maybe Mike Lee or some other young unknown libertarian type.

What would happen in the VP debate when they ask Bachmann six questions in a row where she disagrees with Dr. P? Not good.

acptulsa
03-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Dang, we're in trouble. You know, gang, Cheney was the exception, not the rule. Unless, like LBJ, your running mate kicks off, all you do as VP is try to present a 'balanced ticket' for the election, you break the rare Senate tie and you attend the funerals of foreign dignitaries. If we're going to turn our back on Dr. Paul because he tries to balance his ticket with someone still as out of the ordinary as Bachmann or Coburn, that's kind of limiting.

IDefendThePlatform
03-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Dang, we're in trouble. You know, gang, Cheney was the exception, not the rule. Unless, like LBJ, your running mate kicks off, all you do as VP is try to present a 'balanced ticket' for the election, you break the rare Senate tie and you attend the funerals of foreign dignitaries. If we're going to turn our back on Dr. Paul because he tries to balance his ticket with someone still as out of the ordinary as Bachmann or Coburn, that's kind of limiting.

I'm not saying I would turn my back, he could pick a monkey for VP and I'm still in.

I just think it undermines his clearcut freedom message to pick another big government, interventionist conservative as his second in command.

Its the same idea as why he didn't endorse McCain last time. He could have gained some favor with the base by doing that, but its a contradiction to what he stands for, and that is more important.

low preference guy
03-25-2011, 07:14 PM
I'd rather choose something more aligned with our ideas. Mike Lee for example.

If Paul is going to select someone more traditionally Republican, I'd prefer DeMint over Bachmann.

acptulsa
03-25-2011, 07:14 PM
I just think it undermines his clearcut freedom message to pick another big government, interventionist conservative as his second in command.

That's impossible to argue with. At the same time, it wouldn't hurt to send the message that he's honestly trying to represent everyone. And that's the point of selecting a running mate to 'balance the ticket'.

Of course, I'd probably be happiest myself with Jesse Ventura. I don't see Dr. Paul getting shot with old Jesse behind him. But I don't see it as a winning ticket.

I'd rather choose something more aligned with our ideas. Mike Lee for example. Even Jim DeMint.

DeMint over Coburn? Seriously?

IDefendThePlatform
03-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Also, Judge Nap is such a terrific and confident spokesperson for the freedom agenda, I would love to see him get some national recognition. He's still my first choice.

IDefendThePlatform
03-25-2011, 07:18 PM
That's impossible to argue with. At the same time, it wouldn't hurt to send the message that he's honestly trying to represent everyone. And that's the point of selecting a running mate to 'balance the ticket'.

Of course, I'd probably be happiest myself with Jesse Ventura. I don't see Dr. Paul getting shot with old Jesse behind him. But I don't see it as a winning ticket.

I get your point about the balance.

Also, great point about picking ventura just to avoid getting shot. LOL
Reminds me of the Chappelle routine where he said he'd pick a mexican VP if he were the first black president. If it wasn't funny, it would be sad.

low preference guy
03-25-2011, 07:20 PM
DeMint over Coburn? Seriously?

DeMint over Bachmann.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Also, Judge Nap is such a terrific and confident spokesperson for the freedom agenda, I would love to see him get some national recognition. He's still my first choice.

Someone with absolutely zero experience? I'm sure the electorate will be peachy-keen with that. And they'll just love the 9/11 truther stuff:

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/lachlan-markay/2010/11/30/judge-andrew-napolitano-another-911-truther-foxs-staff

trey4sports
03-25-2011, 07:50 PM

I would like a woman as V.P., but not as a sideshow, and not one who doesn't understand liberty.

Karen Kwiatkowski (http://libertyclick.com/archive/heroes-of-liberty/karen-kwiatkowski/)? Naomi Wolf (http://libertyclick.com/archive/heroes-of-liberty/naomi-wolf/)?

One is a no-name and the other is polarizing. Wont work

This.

Ron Paul would need to find a Governor or a Senator, preferably the former, that has a lot of mainstream appeal.

Rons main issue would be women, and shoring up the GOP base. Bachmann would do just that. She's well spoken to boot

brandon
03-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Rons main issue would be women, and shoring up the GOP base. Bachmann would do just that. She's well spoken to boot

The GOP base is only important in the primary. In the general it's almost meaningless. The majority of voters are not in any "base", they are just average joes voting for whoevers name sounds the most familiar.

The Binghamton Patriot
03-25-2011, 08:30 PM
No way to Bachman. She is a tea party leech, she reminds me of another hi-jacker, that woman from Alaska....She's not much brighter either. She cannot be trusted. No way Ron would run with her, not a snow balls chance in hell. She is a proponent of interventionism and no way is she a good insurance policy. I'd rather see him run with Kucinich than Bachman, and I'm about as far right as they come. What about Jesse Ventura?

IDefendThePlatform
03-25-2011, 08:33 PM
The GOP base is only important in the primary. In the general it's almost meaningless. The majority of voters are not in any "base", they are just average joes voting for whoevers name sounds the most familiar.

I disagree that the GOP base is meaningless in the general election. In fact, I think its probably more important to "fire up" the base and get them to the polling booth than to try to convert "swing" voters. People who normally voted Republican but stayed home for McCain hurt him. Also, when Bush got re-elected it was at least in part due to the presence of a socially conservative (was it gay marriage?) initiative on the ballot at the same time that brought out more social conservative voters.

trey4sports
03-25-2011, 08:34 PM

Way oversimplification.

There is a good portion of the GOP that wouldn't vote for Ron because of the stigma associated with such. McCain used Palin to shore up the GOP base because of the "liberal" label and Ron would use Bachman to help ease the Libertarian label.

IDefendThePlatform
03-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Someone with absolutely zero experience? I'm sure the electorate will be peachy-keen with that. And they'll just love the 9/11 truther stuff:

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/lachlan-markay/2010/11/30/judge-andrew-napolitano-another-911-truther-foxs-staff

Who's your pick? I'm listening.

Beanie_N
03-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Terrible pick. I live in her district and she's extremely alienating. MN-6 is extremelly conservative and will elect her as long as she runs, but the rest of the state absolutely detests her. She wouldn't pick up 30% of the vote in a statewide election so there goes the theory of her appealing to northern states.

She is VERY religious though- she runs a charter school in Stillwater, MN which is constantly being sued or threatened to be shut down because people believe it's too Christian. She has also adopted over 25 children and has like five or so of her own. She'd help shore up the social-cons but would be very alienating with the middle in the general.

I'd much rather have Buchanan who, outside of Rand and Ron, is probably my next favorite politician. He certainly has name recognition, too.

The Binghamton Patriot
03-25-2011, 10:05 PM
^Bump to Pat

realtonygoodwin
03-25-2011, 11:56 PM
I think a Governor is the way to go on this. Maybe Bob McDonell (McConnel?) of VA or Haley Barbour or Mitch Daniels or Bobby Jindal.

anaconda
03-26-2011, 12:38 AM

Catherine Austin Fitts.

nayjevin
03-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Catherine Austin Fitts.

That's an interesting thought, hadn't looked into her before.

How about Debra Medina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debra_Medina)?

anaconda
03-26-2011, 01:48 AM
That's an interesting thought, hadn't looked into her before.

How about Debra Medina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debra_Medina)?

I would be jazzed about Medina. Fitts is brilliant and was a D.C. insider. She could openly rip everyone a gaping orifice and it would be from first hand experience.

anaconda
03-26-2011, 01:56 AM
Since Michele Bachmann voted to extend the patriot act:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08

anaconda
03-26-2011, 02:12 AM
Reaction to Michele Bachmann accepting the 2012 VP slot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

anaconda
03-26-2011, 02:24 AM

Let's save Napolitano for Supreme Court Justice.

anaconda
03-26-2011, 02:29 AM
Maybe this is Buchanan's time to be someone's V.P. He's experienced, knowledgeable, likable, and a genuine conservative. He will not be a huge magnate for independents. Pat's socially conservative history might alienate many.

R3volutionJedi
03-26-2011, 09:02 AM
I know Ron & Michele are friends in congress and she has gone to his "Thursday liberty Lunches" were they talked about Austrian economics and the fed and other issues.
I may support the ticket, but only for that reason. Probz not though. Well, anything Ron is on of course.
My dream ticket still stands as

Ron Paul
---------o-------
Andrew Napolitano

Austin
03-26-2011, 09:20 AM
I know Ron & Michele are friends in congress and she has gone to his "Thursday liberty Lunches" were they talked about Austrian economics and the fed and other issues.
I may support the ticket, but only for that reason. Probz not though. Well, anything Ron is on of course.
My dream ticket still stands as

Ron Paul
---------o-------
Andrew Napolitano

I'd love to see Nap on the SCOTUS.

dejavu22
03-26-2011, 09:44 AM
If he would do it i think a good way to pick up the base would be to harken to the past and the era that made Reagan's election possible and if he would do it possibly put Barry Goldwater Jr. in there as VP. He was an outspoken supporter in 2008 and his name recognition is impeccable. Bachmann on the other hand... she just seems to be as abrasive or possibly even more so than Palin to many. Soon as she starts getting attacked like Palin did... i think the result would be much the same.

1000-points-of-fright
03-26-2011, 04:40 PM
She is VERY religious though- she runs a charter school in Stillwater, MN which is constantly being sued or threatened to be shut down because people believe it's too Christian. She has also adopted over 25 children and has like five or so of her own. She'd help shore up the social-cons but would be very alienating with the middle in the general.

I have no problem with her being as religious as she wants, but I seem to recall that she ran a campaign ad accusing her opponent of being.... an atheist:eek:.

To me that's either cheap pandering or leaning towards theocracy. Neither are good in my book. You'd never catch RP doing that and he's pretty religious.

speciallyblend
03-26-2011, 04:43 PM
count me out!!!! bachmann is a joke on liberty!! 3rd party for me if that is the ticket!! If ron were thinking along these lines. Then i need to know before i send any money to libertypac.com!!

Eric21ND
03-26-2011, 05:22 PM
If you want to attract the republican base, I'd much rather have Demint than Bachman. Tom McClintock is another option.

If you want a real liberty ticket, then Judge Napolitano tops the list, but Dr. Walter Williams would also be a good choice and he's known to conservatives because he fills in for Rush sometimes.

Sola_Fide
03-26-2011, 05:25 PM
If you want to attract the republican base, I'd much rather have Demint than Bachman. Tom McClintock is another option.

If you want a real liberty ticket, then Judge Napolitano tops the list, but Dr. Walter Williams would also be a good choice and he's known to conservatives because he fills in for Rush sometimes.

Agree with this^^^

cajuncocoa
03-26-2011, 05:27 PM
No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!

Do I make myself clear??

Besides, I'd be very worried about RP with one of those neocons 2nd in command.

NO!

speciallyblend
03-26-2011, 06:37 PM
No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!

Do I make myself clear??

Besides, I'd be very worried about RP with one of those neocons 2nd in command.

NO!

2nd this , I would vote for Pedro before this ticket;) you know this boogie is for real:)

Agorism
03-26-2011, 07:00 PM
This thread gets 1 start out of 5.

libertybrewcity
03-26-2011, 07:16 PM
say good bye to independents then

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Well, our new lady governor Mary Fallin is no suitable substitute. Nightmare scenario. They'd shoot our good doctor so fast...

ssantoro
03-26-2011, 07:46 PM
RP is one of a kind. Finding someone to fill the VP spot is going to be tough.

steph3n
03-26-2011, 08:18 PM
This.

haley barbour.....but two from the south would probably be a losing ticket.

scrosnoe
03-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Coburn is not a Ron Paul fan and he voted for the Bush bailout too!

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Coburn is not a Ron Paul fan and he voted for the Bush bailout too!

True, but at least he didn't vote for all of them. Anyway, he's better than Fallin or Inhofe.

scrosnoe
03-26-2011, 08:29 PM
started to say 'well duh' but then realized that sometimes i like inhofe better than Coburn ...

acptulsa
03-26-2011, 08:31 PM
It's looking increasingly like Paul/Paul or bust.

anaconda
03-27-2011, 04:38 AM
Paul/Fitts 2012!

PermanentSleep
03-27-2011, 04:48 PM
This guy:
Governor of Puerto Rico, Luis G. Fortuņo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt0dQy0xXH8

Or This Lady:
Dr. Mary Ruwart, author of "Healing Our World"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_BVhPQuCbc

Or This Guy:
Walter E. Williams, resident Libertarian, intellectual badass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUL152yGVGI

trey4sports
03-27-2011, 05:54 PM
This guy:
Governor of Puerto Rico, Luis G. Fortuņo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt0dQy0xXH8

Or This Lady:
Dr. Mary Ruwart, author of "Healing Our World"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_BVhPQuCbc

Or This Guy:
Walter E. Williams, resident Libertarian, intellectual badass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUL152yGVGI

Really?

Mary Ruwart is completely unelectable (do i really have to go in depth?) and Walter Williams is polarizing. He's much more of a philosopher than a VP.

PermanentSleep
03-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Really?

Mary Ruwart is completely unelectable (do i really have to go in depth?) and Walter Williams is polarizing. He's much more of a philosopher than a VP.

No you really don't, I was laughing when I posted that. :)

trey4sports
03-27-2011, 07:30 PM
No you really don't, I was laughing when I posted that. :)

I Neglected to mention that Fortuno seems like a prime choice. His speech @ CPAC was quite incredible, and his record in P.R. is very good. I have no clue his stance on issues though.

Pillowpants
03-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Ron Paul is too old for me to trust Bachman. She is not fit to be in any position of power. She goes on the floor of congress and gives her speeches without having a damn clue what she's talking about. Saying things like "Obama is taking away our freedoms and this is our last chance to save our freedoms", "C02 is a harmless gas that does not heat the Earth", and "How can C02 heat the Earth when the atmosphere is only 3% C02?"

Bachman didn't say a damn word when Bush invaded Iraq or Afghanistan and she didn't say a word when the Patriot Act eroded our freedoms. And when it comes to global warming it seems apparent she's never read a science book in her entire life. For those of you that don't know C02 IS a heat trapping gas, you can prove this with a home experiment for yourself, and C02 comprises a fraction of 1% of our atmosphere but it steadily rising due to human activities. That doesn't mean the government has any place to be the pollution police and it doesn't mean I will give up my freedoms to reduce our carbon footprint, though I do think it is necessary to transfer over to wind, hydro, solar, geothermal, natural gas, and hemp whichever is most appropriate for the area that will be using the power, some areas just aren't that sunny but are quite windy you get the idea.

Jeremy Tyler
03-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Why not Nikki Haley? I mean if you want woman vote, that would help. She also seems pretty liberty minded, more than bachmann. She is also a governor and would probably have some pretty good appeal.

IDefendThePlatform
03-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Why not Nikki Haley? I mean if you want woman vote, that would help. She also seems pretty liberty minded, more than bachmann. She is also a governor and would probably have some pretty good appeal.

I don't think picking a woman necessarily helps with the woman vote. I've seen polls on Palin and she does much better with men than women, I think. Although, I'm not refuting that Nikki Haley could potentially do better than her in that regard.

acptulsa
03-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Why not Nikki Haley? I mean if you want woman vote, that would help. She also seems pretty liberty minded, more than bachmann.

Wish I knew more about her. Wonder if Gunny has had time to keep tabs on the neighbors?

Eric21ND
03-27-2011, 10:29 PM
A woman, ahem, an intelligent woman on the ballot with Paul would be nice compliment to what some see and as a cold libertarian.

SimpleName
03-27-2011, 11:12 PM
I think strategically, this is the current best strategy for an actual win...if Bachmann was to go along with it. On an ideological level though, I really would prefer not to see it. Point is, I would vote for a Paul/Bachmann ticket no doubt, especially if it were Rand who is much less likely to die or get sick in office. But all this is in the current realm of things where Bachmann is liked and hasn't been ridiculed, torn apart, and stereotyped. If she runs in the primaries, it is very likely people begin to work away at ruining her (as Palin was)...and we just cannot have that.

trey4sports
03-27-2011, 11:21 PM
I think strategically, this is the current best strategy for an actual win...if Bachmann was to go along with it. On an ideological level though, I really would prefer not to see it. Point is, I would vote for a Paul/Bachmann ticket no doubt, especially if it were Rand who is much less likely to die or get sick in office. But all this is in the current realm of things where Bachmann is liked and hasn't been ridiculed, torn apart, and stereotyped. If she runs in the primaries, it is very likely people begin to work away at ruining her (as Palin was)...and we just cannot have that.

I agree. I'm not a huge fan of her but she can certainly help shore up the ticket

Inflation
03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
If you want to attract the republican base, I'd much rather have Demint than Bachmann. Tom McClintock is another option.

Let's talk about the real world of people who voted for Obama and McCain. Pat B, Jim, and Tom are nobodies in that world, as are Andy and Walt.

Has anyone mentioned that tiny political fringe called THE TEA PARTY??!!!?? Bachmann is the only one that can turn out 99% of the angry anti-Obama voters.

Bachmann is the only one that is heir apparent to Palin's demographic phenomenon. She alone has the looks and brains to take down Obama, in the eyes of Joe and Mary Sixpack.

Jim has stuck up for RomneyCare and by extension ObamaCare. Plus he yet another old white guy in the worst traditions of GOP my-turn-ism. He's not very anti-war, etc.

Paul-Bachmann will get all the various factions of the Tea Party working together towards the common goal of making Obama a one-term President.

I'm not happy with her vote to renew the Patriot Act, but nobody else is Ron Paul. I can live with compromising on one or two issues with her. Especially if that makes our PB12 ticket appear more balanced in the eyes of the electorate.

BlackTerrel
03-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Does it even matter at this point? First he has to win the primary. One step at a time.

FreedomProsperityPeace
03-31-2011, 09:42 PM
I would never vote for a ticket with Bachmann on it. :mad: She is an idiot, as the "shot heard around the world" gaffe proves. She is also not a liberty candidate. She's a fundamentalist neocon who shouldn't even be associated with the Tea Party, much less hold a seat in Congress. She's just like the Establishment Republicans we're trying to get rid of!

libertarian4321
04-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Bachman is a loose cannon. A polarizing bomb thrower with about as much gravitas as Pee Wee Herman.

She isn't Presidential (or even VP) material. She'd be such an embarrassment she'd make Palin look like a wise elder statesman by comparison.

No thanks.

libertarian4321
04-03-2011, 12:20 AM
A woman, ahem, an intelligent woman on the ballot with Paul would be nice compliment to what some see and as a cold libertarian.

Okay, so Bachmann is out.

Who did you have in mind?

LibertyEagle
04-03-2011, 12:29 AM

Naomi Wolf???

Uh, I think she's still quite a long ways from figuring things out. At least she was in the last interview I heard of her with Lew Rockwell. She knows there are problems, but her solutions, ehh, ...

White Bear Lake
04-03-2011, 11:50 AM
I like Herman Cain. He is gaining tremendous traction in the conservative base and is an excellent debater who would humuliate Biden. He has a solid resume in the private sector which could help shore up the business vote. Plus I absolutely hate it when people use identity politics, but being black might leak a little more of the minority vote to our ticket and even the smallest bit could make a huge difference.

He has all the upsides of Bachmann (fiery, loved in the tea party/conservative base, great speaking skills, not just another "white Southern Republican") without all the downsides (seen as really kooky, possibly the only person more alienating than Palin).

acptulsa
04-03-2011, 11:53 AM
I like Herman Cain. He is gaining tremendous traction in the conservative base and is an excellent debater who would humuliate Biden. He has a solid resume in the private sector which could help shore up the business vote. Plus I absolutely hate it when people use identity politics, but being black might leak a little more of the minority vote to our ticket and even the smallest bit could make a huge difference.

Lot to be said for him. He isn't perfect, but the vice president doesn't have to be. And I just don't see the warmongers shooting Paul so they can have him.

thedude
04-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I say the old system in which the VP and Prez are elected separately should be restored. :cool: /rebel

They would have to repeal the 25th amendment provision allowing the VP to suggest the President be removed with congressional approval first... then I'm all for it.

acptulsa
04-03-2011, 12:02 PM
The were never elected seperately. The old system was that the winner of the election was president and the first runner-up in the same election was vp. Only lasted to 1804.

amy31416
04-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Okay, so Bachmann is out.

Who did you have in mind?

I like Mary Ruwart quite a bit, but she has zero recognition outside of libertarian circles. Perhaps Medina? Still have a low-recognition factor outside of Texas (and this forum.)

acptulsa
04-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I like Mary Ruwart quite a bit, but she has zero recognition outside of libertarian circles. Perhaps Medina? Still have a low-recognition factor outside of Texas (and this forum.)

Which Paul? Unfortunately, Ron Paul picking Medina would be unconstitutional per Amendment XII. Same state.

Edit: Or, at the very least, Texas electors wouldn't be able to vote for them.

pauladin
04-03-2011, 12:14 PM

He has all the upsides of Bachmann (fiery, loved in the tea party/conservative base, great speaking skills, not just another "white Southern Republican") without all the downsides (seen as really kooky, possibly the only person more alienating than Palin).

nice try, herman cain.

amy31416
04-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Which Paul? Unfortunately, Ron Paul picking Medina would be unconstitutional per Amendment XII. Same state.

Q101. "Exactly where in the Constitution does it say that the President and Vice President cannot be from the same state? In the 12th amendment the wording leads me to think that the electors and the candidates cannot be from the same state."

A. The Constitution doesn't say that they cannot be from the same state. However, the 12th Amendment does say that electors may not vote for a President from their state and a Vice President also from their state. This issue came up in the 2000 presidential campaign when Texas Governor George W. Bush chose fellow Texas resident Richard Cheney to be his running mate. Cheney, who had served in Congress as a Representative from Wyoming, quickly changed his legal residence back to Wyoming to avoid the possible conflict for electors from Texas. Court challenges to Cheney's change of residency were denied.

It is unlikely that two people from the same state would ever be nominated by a major political party. It is constitutionally possible however. If it ever came to pass, the party that won the ticket's state would likely suggest to the electors that their votes for the President go to the presidential nominee and that the votes for the Vice President be given in honor of a party official. Electors in all other states, as mentioned above, would be free to vote for both of the party's nominees.

http://www.usconstitution.net/constfaq_a6.html

acptulsa
04-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Ha ha. Got my edit up before your post.

Texas Republicans can win without Texas? I don't know 'bout that...

amy31416
04-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Ha ha. Got my edit up before your post.

Texas Republicans can win without Texas? I don't know 'bout that...

It's my understanding that most of this is speculation and throwing ideas out, not cold, hard reality.

acptulsa
04-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Considering only a nominated candidate needs a running mate, this is beyond premature. But, you know, optimism is a good thing.

cajuncocoa
04-13-2011, 07:14 AM
I can't believe some of the suggestions in this thread. Please excuse my insolence, but I can't understand why so-called Ron Paul supporters would think Michele Bachmann or Haley Barbour (really??) would make a good pairing with Dr. Paul. I thought the idea of a Ron Paul candidacy was to say to the country that we're tired of the same old, same old! There are better choices: Judge Napolitano, Gary Johnson, Peter Schiff, just to name 3 off the top of my head.

I don't think there is any point in worrying about beating Obama just to put another neoconservative in the VP chair. That's a sure-fire way to continue the same mistakes we've been making for decades, or even a couple of centuries.

acptulsa
04-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Traditionally, the VP choice is one of attracting voters who wouldn't otherwise be hot on the main candidate. The job itself is pretty meaningless unless your running mate gets shot, or you're Cheney the Dubya Puppetmaster. And, really, I don't see a Paul letting his VP dictate any policy.

So, I don't favor a 'more of the same' carbon copy of Paul for a running mate. That said, I sure want someone who can and will tell the establishment to shove it if need be. I like the Pauls, and would hate to see anything happen to one of them.

sailingaway
04-13-2011, 07:23 AM
There is probably too much overlap. If we are going to go that way I'd say Rand, actually. But the bit about 'trust', I don't know if I agree with. She is who she is, and you like it or don't. I don't think she's hiding anything.

cajuncocoa
04-13-2011, 07:25 AM
I'm concerned that it negates everything Dr. Paul stands for to choose a running mate who stands against Ron's principles (antiwar, pro-Constitutionalist, pro-market, etc.) Understand that if Ron Paul even GETS the nomination, that's a pretty big statement that America is tired of the status quo....therefore, it should signal that it's time to continue rejecting said status quo in the form of neoconservative VP candidates. I wouldn't want to see Ron compromise the very principles that attract me to him in the first place.

Krugerrand
04-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Traditionally, the VP choice is one of attracting voters who wouldn't otherwise be hot on the main candidate. The job itself is pretty meaningless unless your running mate gets shot, or you're Cheney the Dubya Puppetmaster. And, really, I don't see a Paul letting his VP dictate any policy.

So, I don't favor a 'more of the same' carbon copy of Paul for a running mate. That said, I sure want someone who can and will tell the establishment to shove it if need be. I like the Pauls, and would hate to see anything happen to one of them.

You want somebody like John Mackey
Some excerpts from wikipedia:

John Mackey (born August 15, 1953) is an American businessman. He is the CEO of Whole Foods Market which he had co-founded in 1980. Named the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 2003, Mackey is a strong supporter of free market economics. He is one of the most influential advocates in the movement for organic food.

Whole Foods was the first grocery chain to set standards for humane animal treatment. Mackey was influenced by animal rights activist, Lauren Ornelas, who criticized Whole Foods' animal standards regarding ducks at a shareholder meeting in 2003. Mackey gave Ornelas his email address and they corresponded on the issue. He studied issues related to factory farming and decided to switch to what he considers veganism. He advocates tougher animal standards.

In 2006, Mackey announced he was reducing his salary to $1 a year, would donate his stock portfolio to charity, and set up a $100,000 emergency fund for staff facing personal problems. He wrote: "I am now 53 years old and I have reached a place in my life where I no longer want to work for money, but simply for the joy of the work itself and to better answer the call to service that I feel so clearly in my own heart."

In a debate in Reason magazine among Mackey, Milton Friedman, and T. J. Rodgers, Mackey said that he is a free market libertarian. He said that he used to be a "democratic socialist" in college. As a beginning businessman, he was challenged by workers of not paying them enough and customers of charging too high prices, at a time when he was hardly making enough to continue. He began to take a more capitalistic worldview, and discovered the works of Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek and Friedman. Mackey is an admirer of author Ayn Rand.

Mackey opposed the public health insurance option that ultimately did not become part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Mackey thinks a better plan would be allowing consumers to purchase health insurance across state lines and use a combination of health savings accounts and catastrophic insurance, as Whole Foods does. Mackey's statement that Americans do not have an intrinsic right to healthcare led to calls for a boycott of Whole Foods Market from the Progressive Review and from numerous groups on Facebook.

John Mackey is known for his strong anti-union views, having once compared unions to herpes in that "it won't kill you, but it's very unpleasant and will make a lot of people not want to be your lover."

Whole Foods Market is one of only two non-union Fortune 500 companies listed by Forbes among the "25 Best Companies to Work For" in 2005.

acptulsa
04-13-2011, 07:35 AM
He does look good, doesn't he?

cajuncocoa
04-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Not bad at all! See, now that's a much better choice than Bachmann!!

acptulsa
04-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Not bad at all! See, now that's a much better choice than Bachmann!!

And that's an understatement.

sailingaway
04-13-2011, 07:48 AM

I like Ruwart, too. Not as much as Ron, but there's that same trust thing. I trust her to have the people's best interests in mind. None of the other libertarians jumped out at me like that.

The Binghamton Patriot
04-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Pat Buchanan or Mackey sounds promising.
Go Pat Go!

Krugerrand
04-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Pat Buchanan or Mackey sounds promising.
Go Pat Go!

In general I'm a fan of Pat Buchanan. Sadly, I don't think he'll help bring in the independent voter. I don't see him helping to win the election.

brandon
04-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Mackey is certainly promising, and so is Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, a self described libertarian.

Although I doubt either of them would be up for it.

JamesButabi
04-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Would loooooove to see Mary Ruwart

Occam's Banana
04-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Let's save Napolitano for Supreme Court Justice.

I've never liked the idea of Napolitano for VP. The VP spot would be completely wasted on someone of Napolitano's vigor, dedication & enthusiasm.

A SCOTUS seat would be better. The problem is that you've go to wait for a seat to be vacated. And SCOTUS is essentially passive. It has to wait for a case to come before it before it can actually do anything. And while I'm confident that a Justice Napolitano would make the right call on every case, would it matter? After all, at least 4 other justices would also have to make the right call.

Clearly, Napolitano should be Attorney General. It's hard to see the end of all the good a pro-active, uncompromising Constitutionalist like Judge Nap could do as AG. And after he's whipped a boat-load of things into shape as AG, if a SCOTUS seat should open up, well, then ... (the best of both worlds).

Razmear
04-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Bachman is a twit. Ventura or Rand for the VP.

johnrocks
04-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Better than Kucinich;that was floating around; but too polarizing, we need someone more like him on the ticket....Gary Johnson.

Rocket80
04-13-2011, 10:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ElORM9O-0U

Us: Paul/Bachman for President!
Them: Yeah that song's pretty good, but President?!

The Dark Knight
04-13-2011, 10:41 AM
I think Bachman would be a great choice, look people we have to find someone appealing to the Tea Party and somewhat to centrists. Mike Lee would be a another good choice, but two libertarians on the ticket has no chance in hell of winning. If we want Ron in the Whitehouse we have to be smart in our strategy.

Johnnymac
04-13-2011, 10:54 AM
how about we leave it up to Ron Paul?!?! I'm sure he knows who's best for the VP, lets concentrate on getting him to the chair and we can relax while he chooses.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Who's your pick?

Walter B. Jones.

jmdrake
04-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Well they seem to be loving Trump's birther stuff.

Anyway, these "Let's pick the VP" threads are silly. Just about everybody is disliked by somebody. As to the OP, Bachmann wouldn't "balance" the ticket as far as the general election is concerned. She'd help in the primary, but nobody picks a VP in the primary. Bachmann might "shore up conservatives" just like Palin did for McCain. That's why McCain won the genera....oh...nevermind.