PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Handle This If You Were Judge

Soca Taliban
03-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Now besides the fact that she's a trifling c*nt, should the father be liable to pay?

Man Receives Oral Sex, Ordered to Pay Child Support
2011-02-27
By Sarah Berent
So, a man sued his ex-girlfriend for fraud and emotional distress after she secured a court order demanding he pay child support for their two year-old daughter. The reason? This woman saved his semen after performing oral sex and secretly impregnated herself. No, this is not a new plotline of absurd television show One Tree Hill but actual events that formed the basis of a 2005 legal battle in Illinois.

Although this case is six years old and garnered some media attention at the time, we recently came across it on Professor Jonathan Turley’s blog and couldn’t resist an opportunity to discuss it.

But before we get to the legal issues presented in this case, namely how a man can be ordered to support a child when his sperm was used without his knowledge, the soap opera-esque facts surrounding this situation deserve to be explained in greater detail. Trust us.

It all began when Dr. Sharon Irons (an internist) and Dr. Richard Phillips (a family practitioner) began dating in January 1999. Dr. Irons led Dr. Phillips to believe she was divorced and within a few months, they became engaged. According to Dr. Phillips, the two discussed the possibility of having children and he made clear his intentions: that he did not want children until after they were married and any pre-marital sex would require the use of condoms. Throughout the course of their relationship, they engaged in only three instances of oral sex: they never went “all the way.”

On one of these intimate occasions, Dr. Irons did something rather remarkable: After fellating Dr. Phillips, she held his semen in her mouth (where it was suitable to sustain viability) and then inseminated herself with it. She did not inform Dr. Phillips of her actions.

Dr. Irons also never informed her boyfriend that she was, in fact, still married. Five months into their relationship, she confessed to Dr. Phillips that she was not divorced and he decided to end their relationship.

Fast-forward to November 2000, when, surprise! Dr. Irons slapped her surely stunned ex-boyfriend with court papers to establish paternity and child support for “their” daughter.

To quote Justice Scalia in 1989’s Michael H. majority opinion (a paternity case also dealing with convoluted family relations, although not as entertaining as here), “The facts of the case are, we must hope, extraordinary.”

Extraordinary they are, indeed. And while Dr. Irons’ act of stashing semen away definitely made for attention-grabbing headlines, the media focused more on the sexy- slash-crazy angle and less on the actual law. We decided to explore the legal claims advanced by the parties and the reasoning behind Dr. Phillips seemingly unjust obligation to support a child whose existence was beyond the realm of expectation.

In his suit, Dr. Phillips alleged the unauthorized use of his semen constituted actionable claims of fraudulent misconception, conversion and intentional infliction of emotional distress. A lower court dismissed these grievances, and he appealed.

The Appellate Court of Illinois found that a fraudulent misconception claim was only available for “economic” wrongs, and so dismissed this claim. (Dr. Phillips was suing for physical and emotional harms he alleged that he’d suffered as a result of Dr. Irons’ actions).

The court next turned its attention to the conversion claim. Conversion is “an unauthorized act that deprives a person of his property permanently or for an indefinite period of time.” The arguments on both sides of the conversion claim are worth noting.

Dr. Phillips argued that his ex-fiancé took his property, his sperm, without his permission to conceive a child. Dr. Irons countered by asserting the sperm was a gift: Dr. Phillips delivered it to her with the intention that she keep it because if he really wanted to retain his semen, he would have put on a condom and “kept its contents”.

The court agreed with Dr. Irons: Dr. Phillips cannot claim he was deprived of his property because he did not intend that the semen be returned.

Finally, the court considered Dr. Phillips’ claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress (IIED). To bring an IIED claim, the plaintiff must prove that 1) the conduct was “truly extreme and outrageous”; 2) the defendant had to intend, or be aware that, her conduct would cause severe emotional distress; and 3) the conduct did actually cause severe emotional distress.

The court stated that Dr. Irons’ conduct in deceitfully engaging in oral sex to procure the sperm necessary to impregnate herself would, according to any reasonable person, be considered “extreme and outrageous” conduct (Ed. Note: well, duh). Considering the nature of Dr. Irons’ actions and Dr. Phillips’ clear expression of not wanting a child out of wedlock, the second element of IIED was met. For the actual distress, Dr. Phillips claimed a whole slew of anguish including nausea, loss of appetite, interference with his profession, insomnia and more, which was enough to keep the case alive.

The final decision or current status of the case is unavailable which means that the case is still being litigated or the parties settled.

Regardless, what confused us most about the case was that the child support obligation on behalf of Dr. Phillips was not contested. How could a father be forced to pay child support if the conception of the child was beyond (way, way beyond) a reasonable person’s expectation? The court itself stated that the mother’s actions were “extreme and outrageous”, after all.

The answer? Public policy. In a note for the Drake University Law Review, A Man’s Right to Choose: Searching for Remedies in the Face of Unplanned Fatherhood, author Adrienne D. Gross explained the general policy in law of looking out for a child’s best interest in both child support and paternity statutes. Undisputedly, a child’s best interest is to have the financial support of both biological parents, regardless of their marital status, and according to Ms. Gross, “the child should not suffer from a parent’s indiscretion concerning the events leading to conception.”

Basically, if you father a child and the paternity is established, you are on the hook for child support payments. (A father can sue for IIED, if the mother’s actions in the conception meet the requisite level of crazy, but there is no guarantee he will win.)

A 1983 paternity case sheds some light on how New York courts balance the best interest of the child with a father’s dealing with an unwanted pregnancy and child support obligations in unorthodox situations. The father, established by paternity tests, had been assured that the mother was on birth control. He alleged fraudulent misrepresentation and argued that he should not be responsible for child support. The court disagreed, and held that fraud and deceit have no bearing on determining child support obligations.

The court explained that the “primary purpose” of New York’s paternity statutes “is to ensure that adequate provision will be made for the child’s needs” and does not allow for the “consideration of the ‘fault’ or wrongful conduct of one of the parents in causing the child’s conception.” If the father really did not want to have a child, despite the woman’s assurance that she was on birth control, he should have used a condom during sex.

Decisions like this seem to signal, rather unfairly, we think, that a man can be held legally and financially responsible for any unilateral actions his partner takes to conceive a child, no matter how absurd or unforeseeable those actions are.

And Dr. Phillips seems to have been treated particularly unfairly. He didn’t even have intercourse which is the one and only act that, outside of fertility clinics, can foster a reasonable expectation of conceiving a child. In fact, without intercourse (and outside of fertility clinics) creating a life is, simply, impossible. There was no way, short of checking what his partner did with his semen after oral sex (do you know anyone who does that?) that he could have known that he could possibly father a child.

But the courts don’t care about how the egg was actually fertilized: because at the end of the day, there’s a child now involved. And the concern, from a legal perspective, is whether or not the child will be adequately cared for, regardless of its conception.

Lesson to be learned: If you don’t want any babies, use protection – and make sure your partner isn’t hiding a test tube under the pillow.

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2011/02/27/man-receives-oral-sex-ordered-to-pay-child-support/

ChaosControl
03-25-2011, 09:22 AM
I suppose this is a reason why:
Artificial insemination should not exist.
You shouldn't engage in ANY sexual conduct with someone unless you are prepared for the possibility of having a child.

It is rather stupid that a mother can murder her child without consent of the father, well it is disturbing a mother can murder her child at all in an allegedly "civilized" society, but the father has no choice in the matter and must pay child support regardless whether he wants the child or not. Major double standard, and while I do understand the sexes should be treated differently in some manner, in terms of parental authority, which I would place this under, their say should be the same.

I think that the father should win his case against her in suing for the distress and such, but in the end it is his child and I think he should take responsibility for his actions (the sexual conduct, even if it wasn't actual intercourse) and help support the child. Of course with this I think he is entitled to at least partial custody. Really though I think he should get full custody since the mother is such a deceitful scumbag.

belian78
03-25-2011, 09:39 AM
How he could be liable in anyway, financially or paternally is completely is beyond me.

pcosmar
03-25-2011, 09:50 AM
If You Were Judge

I would throw the case out and charge the woman with contempt.
I would also reprimand the Lawyer for bringing it and wasting court time
And Bill them for the time.

this is why they will never let me run things
:(

acptulsa
03-25-2011, 09:52 AM
"The court explained that the “primary purpose” of New York’s paternity statutes “is to ensure that adequate provision will be made for the child’s needs” and does not allow for the “consideration of the ‘fault’ or wrongful conduct of one of the parents in causing the child’s conception.”

In other words, this isn't about justice, it's about protecting the welfare system and, by extension, the rest of the poor, abused taxpayers. That's how government snwoballs. Of course, they're protecting the abused taxpayer from the wrong entity. And encouraging the type of behavior that will make the problem snowball even more.

Justice vs. revenue enhancement. And, of course, giving government an excuse to grow.

specsaregood
03-25-2011, 10:01 AM
//

Acala
03-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Assuming that you should have the law involved in child support, which I doubt, the court should order the father to pay his share of child support - since child support is not "punishment" for the father doing something wrong but simply protecting an innocent third party (the child). So it really doesn't matter how the child was conceived. The idea is that someone must support the child and better the parents than the taxpayers.

However, the father should them be allowed to sue the mother for fraud and make her pay his share.

Edit: great story, by the way. People sure can get themselves twisted.

Sola_Fide
03-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Now besides the fact that she's a trifling c*nt, should the father be liable to pay?

I think I'd have to consult Islamic law.

specsaregood
03-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Edit: great story, by the way. People sure can get themselves twisted.

And if our schools are gonna teach sex education, THIS type of stuff should be included in that "education". Get the young boys scared sh*tless of knocking up a chick accidental or not.

acptulsa
If I were on the bench, I suppose I would search the statutes from top to bottom looking for a way to translate her behavior into a legal precedent for stripping her of custody.

Philhelm
I think that it's an obscene miscarriage (or not, as the case may be :D) of justice. In a situation such as this, the deceived and unwitting father should not be held accountable. I agree that there was no reasonable expectation that the woman would have inseminated herself.

On the other hand:

There was no way, short of checking what his partner did with his semen after oral sex (do you know anyone who does that?) that he could have known that he could possibly father a child.
Personally, I take great interest in what a woman does with my semen after oral sex...lol

Philhelm
03-25-2011, 10:08 AM
I think I'd have to consult Islamic law.

lol

VBRonPaulFan
03-25-2011, 10:16 AM
I think that it's an obscene miscarriage (or not, as the case may be :D) of justice. In a situation such as this, the deceived and unwitting father should not be held accountable. I agree that there was no reasonable expectation that the woman would have inseminated herself.

On the other hand:

Personally, I take great interest in what a woman does with my semen after oral sex...lol

I concur, except with the very last statement...lol

scottditzen
03-25-2011, 10:23 AM
This is one of the rare occasions I'd want an "activist" judge presiding, and NOT a Scalia or Thomas.

I respect the strict constructionalist viewpoint, and agree that laws be enacted by the legislature and not the bench.

But really, here's an example where you can at least understand the logic behind judicial activism.

NOT LIABLE (bangs gavel)

mczerone
03-25-2011, 10:25 AM
What crazy people do to get their way...

I'd find that, based on the mother's own version of the facts, that there is no way that the father should be liable to the mother or the child. That with the fact that there was no intercourse, the father never volunteered to be responsible economically or otherwise, even if a DNA test could establish with 100% certainty that he was the biological father. This man was a constructive sperm donor, and those who donate sperm to a bank can not be sought for legal contribution to children conceived with their product.

That being said, I'd order that the state must pay any demonstrated need for child support, as it is their law that demands such a thing. Those costs should lie with them, and not with the victimized father. If that means that there is a socialized cost, great! Maybe then the people and the state will second guess passing laws that demand some contribution from private parties without fault.

Lastly I'd recognize that the father is indeed the biological and legal father, and place burdens on the mother in forcing her to allow visitation and other parental rights to the father. Hopefully he won't resent the child for what the mother did, and will pick up some of the costs and responsibilities for the child out of a moral obligation. But the state cannot justly force his participation.

In recap: Father should not be forced to pay, Mother should be forced to allow Father to be as active of a parent as he wishes, and the State should itself pay any welfare costs that Mother cannot handle (because it took this responsibility for itself in passing the law).

virgil47
03-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Would that not unfairly punish the child for the sins of the mother?

Is not abortion the ultimate child punishment for the sins of the mother?

specsaregood
03-25-2011, 10:34 AM
//

specsaregood
03-25-2011, 10:40 AM
//

mczerone
03-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Being a doctor, this guy should have had the necessary knowledge to know that anytime you ejaculate sperm in the presence of a fertile female there is a chance -- even if extremely unlikely -- that you might end up in a pregnancy. He took that risk in exchange for momentary pleasure. time to suck it up, no pun intended.

So a doctor should be held liable if he masturbated in the shower, the semen didn't go down the drain, and then a fertile female took a bath and became pregnant?

Sorry, I do understand your point, but it wasn't like he relied on the 94% prevention rate of condoms: he abstained from vaginal intercourse to prevent a pregnancy, and the woman took active measures to preserve the ejaculate and inseminate herself without his consent.

He was a sperm donor, at most. Should sperm donors be held liable as the father of children because they indeed did know that their actions would likely result in pregnancy? The only issue here that is troublesome is the State law that mandates parental support regardless of actions taken/intent/proximate causality.

LibertyRevolution
03-25-2011, 10:56 AM
I seen this episode on boston legal...
Judge ruled in favor of the woman and told the man his only recourse is to seek civil damages.
The judge then yelled at the woman, told her what she did was wrong, but there was no law against it, so she was free to go.

specsaregood
03-25-2011, 10:57 AM
//

ExPatPaki
03-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Has it been established that that child is his through DNA testing?

acptulsa
03-25-2011, 10:59 AM
A few years back, the state of Florida got sick of guys yelling that they weren't the father of the child they were supporting, and instituted mass DNA testing. They found that some 73% of them were, in fact, not the fathers. So, they said this was about money, not justice, and hushed it up as best they could.

And I agree that he should have been treated as a sperm donor. There was artificial insemination.

NYgs23
03-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Never mind child support. He should try to get custody of his kid to get it away from that crazy lady.

eduardo89
03-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Should've worn a condom...

specsaregood
03-25-2011, 09:33 PM
bump for night crew

low preference guy
03-25-2011, 09:45 PM
And if our schools are gonna teach sex education, THIS type of stuff should be included in that "education". Get the young boys scared sh*tless of knocking up a chick accidental or not.

they should definitely teach the boys that. if they don't, somebody should make a webpage about sex ed for boys and include that lesson.

low preference guy
03-25-2011, 09:50 PM
And I agree that he should have been treated as a sperm donor.

agree.

now, if somebody has sex with a condom, throws it in the trash after sex, and the woman takes it out of the trash without his knowledge and impregnates herself, these same judges will probably make the man pay. i think it's the same reasoning.

obviously she would have to be very quick otherwise the sperm will die, but this is mostly a thought experiment. i don't think it is absolutely impossible.

specsaregood
03-25-2011, 10:04 PM
agree.

see, I just don't think the sperm donor comparison holds up as there is no sexual interaction in that type of relationship. the donor and the donee don't even meet.

I'm sure you could envision a few ways where the pregnancy might have happened accidentally even if unlikely after he finished getting blown. He no doubt could as well which says to me that he knew there was a risk and accepted it.

low preference guy
03-25-2011, 10:11 PM
see, I just don't think the sperm donor comparison holds up as there is no sexual interaction in that type of relationship. the donor and the donee don't even meet.

i think it's a case where she used his bodily fluids in a way that cannot be reasonably expected, and i think that's enough. if the guy threw a condom with semen in the trash and she picked it up before it died and impregnated herself, i don't think he should pay either. if you collect your semen somewhere in your house, and your friend visits, and without your knowledge impregnates herself, what do you think should happen in that case? the guy is no donor either. what if they even had sex, but she impregnated herself with stolen semen that didn't result from their sexual act (could be self-masturbation at a time when she wasn't there and moreover he was thinking about another girl)?

of course, the guy took the chance. but since she admitted that she kept it in her mouth until she could use it without his knowledge, i think the guy shouldn't have to pay.

EDIT: I just realized my last example is not good because stealing something is different from using it in a way that wasn't expected. But from my POV, the latter is enough to absolve the owner of the fluids of responsibility.